Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

18 minutes ago, John said:

I heard that on Radio WM's, football phone-in this evening as well.

They had been told by their sports editor, that there is a meeting on Monday at the Department for Culture Media & Sport, between sports broadcasters and governing bodies, to discuss staging events behind closed doors.

Playing in front of an empty Villa Park, would clearly be disadvantageous for us. Surely the only fair solution, is to declare this season null and void. We could hopefully then all start afresh next August.

It would perhaps be tough on the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and WBA, but in my opinion it would be unfair to decide relegation and promotion issues, on a part completed season, or on one that ends artificially with empty stadiums. 👍

They aren't gonna declare this season null and void lol. Pigs will fly before that happens.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

They aren't gonna declare this season null and void lol. Pigs will fly before that happens.

I think it's a splendid idea and I'm sure that we would have the backing of Norwich, Everton and Manchester City, to mention only three clubs.😉

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I see nothing wrong with that idea.

I think various clubs would and their deep pockets will buy the kind of legal representation that would send shivers down the spine of the FA and Premier League with their threadbare suits, legal aid solicitors. 

I'm pretty sure declaring this season to be void would be a lot more unfair to clubs that wouuld've been promoted this season and overachieving clubs like Sheffield United than it would be if clubs had to play in front of empty stadiums for a bit.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

They'll be a lot of positivity at the clubs around us going into today's games with most of them coming into them off the back of good performances and, more crucially, results. Wouldn't be surprised to see Watford beat Palace or West Ham get something at Arsenal. You'd fancy Wolves to beat Brighton but they tend to struggle against sides that sit back and defend in numbers, which Brighton are capable of. If Bournemouth pull off a win at Anfield it really will feel like the game's up.

We need teams down the bottom to do what teams down the bottom do best, be inconsistent.

5 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

They'll be a lot of positivity at the clubs around us going into today's games with most of them coming into them off the back of good performances and, more crucially, results. Wouldn't be surprised to see Watford beat Palace or West Ham get something at Arsenal. You'd fancy Wolves to beat Brighton but they tend to struggle against sides that sit back and defend in numbers, which Brighton are capable of. If Bournemouth pull off a win at Anfield it really will feel like the game's up.

We need teams down the bottom to do what teams down the bottom do best, be inconsistent.

I would love us to be inconsistent right now. We have been very consistent of late!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

We need to do our own business.

We're 2 pts behind schedule. A win and we'll be back on track and won't have to worry about other teams.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're 2 pts behind schedule. A win and we'll be back on track and won't have to worry about other teams.

That theory is fine if you think we're going to win the rest of our games, otherwise we need those around us to drop points.

25 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

That theory is fine if you think we're going to win the rest of our games, otherwise we need those around us to drop points.

They will drop points (or at least three of them will), they are where they are for a reason.. 38 or 39 points will do it, if it doesn't those that finish above us, would deserve to. It's in our hands, we just need to better our fellow strugglers points haul.🤞

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

3 points I'd say.

From the start or our season I wanted us to at minimum stay level on points with "games played".

Although I just realised you are basing this on the 27 we've played (Had 28 in my head)

On 05/03/2020 at 20:41, villalad21 said:

Yep. It's no joke.

Lambert got broken here. The pressure can wear you down.

As much as i don't rate Smith as a coach he does come across as a likable man. The day he leaves the Villa i he'll be ok mentally and have relative success elsewhere.

Funny not many managers go on to do much after villa. It’s a tough job, high expectation but little realism. 

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully Bournemouth get thrashed today so their GD will be worse than ours.

They'll lose but Liverpool are without Alisson and Robertson today and have lost a bit of that aura losing a couple.

Ah don't worry they'll be back fit for our game against them🙄

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Funny not many managers go on to do much after villa. It’s a tough job, high expectation but little realism. 

O'Leary is the one that surprises me.

Was only 48 when he left us. Not managed since bar a brief spell in Dubai. Guess he was never really that bothered after he left Leeds. Saw us as a good challenge but lack of money and boy did he moan about it in his three years here.