Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

The mentality was worrying. Thought we were only signing players with the right mentality? 

Its as if we see the other side press us and look more up for it, decide we dont feel like matching it and down tools. Happens in away games all the time. El Ghazi was the epitome of this. As bad as Drinkwater has been, our midfield still looked better with him and Douglas than it does Douglas and Marvelous. Have to muster up some big home performances, its the only hope I have now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Cant put enough emphasis on that Spurs late goal, I think its absolutely knocked the guts right out of em, piss poor that though for professional players.

You're right. The game went from "an encouraging good performance point from a good team" into "everything is against us, we'll never win anything any more". 

It would be tough for a mentally strong team, let alone a fragile Villa team that is on the brink of disaster every game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The mentality was worrying. Thought we were only signing players with the right mentality? 

The mentality on the pitch often comes from the manager though.

There's a reason Jose's teams always have that edge and bit of nastiness to them, there's a reason Arsenal  players always bottled it at season's end and lacked accountability, Fergie's teams always scored late, etc.

I think Smith would be fine for us if we were a midtable kind of side, but I just honestly don't think he has the mental strength for a relegation battle. He rode Greallish quite a lot to the playoffs, but his football is far too open for the PL. You'd hope for some kind of adjustments after 70% of the season, but it just hasn't happened yet and that is absolutely terrifying.

• Like 1

Only glimmer of hope I can think of is that we've been on bad runs previously under Smith and managed to turn things around, if we can somehow get back to the form we showed previous to the Bournemouth game it might give us a chance, but even if we manage that it will still be tough as I think we have by far the hardest run-in of any of the relegation threatened sides.

Both West Ham and Watford play three league games before our next league game against Leicester, West Ham play Liverpool away, Southampton at home, and then Arsenal away, and Watford play Man Utd away, Liverpool at home and Crystal Palace away.

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

This is a catch 22, i feel for a long time, with us, the "Right mentality" has been signing " A nice bunch of lads".

Yes, it is important to have good characters in the dressing room, but I feel it has also lead to us having a team of "nice" guys who can;t stomach a FIGHT on the pitch!

I'd much rather a guy who ruffles a few feathers but is blood and thunder on the pitch if i'm honest.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Problem is you can't see where we are going to get points from.

All 3 aren't going to lose every week till the end of the season. 

Indeed. But hell it just has to happen. Maybe that good SJM feeling will boost the morale. I hope the reaction after ydays shitshow galvanizes the team.

• Like 1