Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

59 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This race isn't over yet.

This is exactly why Smith shouldn't have slated his players in public. Keep it behind closed doors!

I'm worried on the effect it will have on the players.

We will see in the coming weeks.

I don’t think it will adversely affect the players who matter. It might affect those who it’s aimed at, maybe some for better, some for worse.

Jack, Tyrone, and a couple of others, might actually be pleased about it. 
In any event it can hardly result in a weaker display than we saw yesterday.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think it will adversely affect the players who matter. It might affect those who it’s aimed at, maybe some for better, some for worse.

Jack, Tyrone, and a couple of others, might actually be pleased about it. 
In any event it can hardly result in a weaker display than we saw yesterday.

Mourinho is the general in slating off his own players in the public and he tend to lose the players by doing so. It's a big factor to why he doesn't last more than 3 seasons in clubs.

Alex Ferguson has stated it's something which he doesn't agree with.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Mourinho is the general in slating off his own player in the public and he tend to lose the players by doing so.

Yes. Different managers, different circumstances, different slatings for different reasons.

In these circumstances I think it was worth saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Mourinho is the general in slating off his own player in the public and he tend to lose the players by doing so.

Alex Ferguson. Not much point in copying one bit of him unless you have the whole, incredible, package.

As one simple example, Fergie terrified his players. He could do things with a raised eyebrow that other Managers could only dream of.

As much as we don’t get results against top teams, I can’t remember a garbage performance apart from City and Leicester. We made it up with Leicester twice at cup.

The worst games we had were:

Watford a

Palace a

Southampton h/a

Sheff Utd a

City a

Leicester h

I’d say Wolves but would be harsh as we missed couple if our best players.

Bournemouth h/a weren’t the worst, we were done by mistakes.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I for one am shocked that the other teams down the bottom look every bit as shit as we do

Why? There at the bottom of the table with us so it shouldn't come as a shock that they are just as bad.

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why? There at the bottom of the table with us so it shouldn't come as a shock that they are just as bad.

Because according to our lot on social media we are definitely down... 

Sarcasm from me

One of the utd goals today is worse than anything I've seen villa do

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

There are still 8 teams who won’t feel safe, from Newcastle down, and we have to play 3 of them. That should be / shoukd have been cause for optimism.

Watford have done very little since the Pearson bounce ( so much for him being the type of guy who would’ve sorted us out ?), and Norwich are too far gone, in my view.

Palace and Newcastle should be okay, but their recent firm is as poor as ours, so they can’t guarantee anything.

Bournemouth are woeful. They’ve taken 6 points off us....reverse that we’d be out the worst and they’d be all but gone.

Them, us, Brighton and West Ham are real candidates to drop. But only one of those 4 will. 
I think Jack, Mings, and McGinn are still capable of being the difference, and I think West Ham are in a worse state all round than any of the others.

Its still the case, as it has been all Season, that we should be ok with 10 Wins. So three needed.

For all I am extremely disappointed in the failure of the Coach to get performances from the players I still think we can get those 3 Wins. At around this time last season I confidently asserted I could see us getting in the Play Offs, and we did.

There isn’t a lot of confidence now, but it’s still eminently achievable.

I mean, that's kind of by definition assured to be true. They were never going to retain that run of form the entire way and were always gonna hit a rough spot at some point again. Its like saying, "Watford have done very little since the time they were very good". A bit unfair to use that that as a stick to beat them and Pearson as it completely disregards the great job Pearson has done with them before this rough patch and they could still easily hit a vein of form again. In fact, its something I'm predicting to happen. They are a lot better than what their position indicates. I said it before Pearson, and I'm still saying it now.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I feel we have a better performance in us than Watford, Bournemouth or Norwich. West Ham really can’t catch a break, and Brighton have self doubt. We all have horrible games ahead. We really should be in a better position than our relegation rivals so we should just scrape through, but any team that cobbles two wins a couple of draws will likely stay up. We have missed a couple of very good chances to help ourselves, it’s a shame.

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because according to our lot on social media we are definitely down... 

Sarcasm from me

One of the utd goals today is worse than anything I've seen villa do

I thought it might have been when I was writing actually.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This race isn't over yet.

This is exactly why Smith shouldn't have slated his players in public. Keep it behind closed doors!

I'm worried on the effect it will have on the players.

We will see in the coming weeks.

No it's too late now.

Our fixture list is too brutal.

Our window was during Christmas. For a potential new man at the very least get some winnable games.

I can us getting a win against Newcastle but the rest of the games seem pretty hopeless to me.

just quoting you from from the new manager thread from yesturday has man utd winning really changed your mind that much?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, that's kind of by definition assured to be true. They were never going to retain that run of form the entire way and were always gonna hit a rough spot at some point again. Its like saying, "Watford have done very little since the time they were very good". A bit unfair to use that that as a stick to beat them and Pearson as it completely disregards the great job Pearson has done with them before this rough patch and they could still easily hit a vein of form again. In fact, its something I'm predicting to happen. They are a lot better than what their position indicates. I said it before Pearson, and I'm still saying it now.

Quite agree with this. When Pearson took over Watford they had 8 points from 15 games and looked pretty well dead and buried. He has achieved 16 points from 12 games and dragged them right back into contention. Looking at their fixtures, they have some eminently winnable games coming up so it would be wrong to comfort ourselves by assuming they are likely to go down. Obviously they have to win their “winnable” games, but then so do we, and how has that been going recently...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I feel we have a better performance in us than Watford, Bournemouth or Norwich. West Ham really can’t catch a break, and Brighton have self doubt. We all have horrible games ahead. We really should be in a better position than our relegation rivals so we should just scrape through, but any team that cobbles two wins a couple of draws will likely stay up. We have missed a couple of very good chances to help ourselves, it’s a shame.

I get what you're saying but of all those teams I'd argue we're least likely to grind out a 1-0 win away from home or even at home in the run in. Norwich pretty poor at doing that aswell but they're too far behind to stay up now imo.

Bournemouth and West Ham have both won 1-0 at Chelsea in last two months (we were actually the other home game for Chelsea between those two and we never got near them) yet we simply don't look any closer to doing it. When we stayed up under Sherwood in similar situation we won 1-0 at Spurs in April of that season.

With Watford they play back to back home games v Norwich and Newcastle near the end of the season. To me it's a simple case of they win both they stay up. They don't and they'll go into the final day lottery with us and a few others.

Five teams in contention for two spots ! Whichever  team could string three wins together would distance themselves from the pack but no team has looked likely to do it.

11 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Five teams in contention for two spots ! Whichever  team could string three wins together would distance themselves from the pack but no team has looked likely to do it.

Newcastle are still in it, if they win one soon then it could calm them, otherwise they’re still in it.

Bournemouth went on two to three months with only 4-5 points.