Selling Villa Park?

MikeMcKenna

Didn't Derby earlier this season sell Pride Park to themselves to meet their FFP. Wouldn't surprise me if Villa did the same. Why not? It has zero effect on Villa Park and gains a revenue boost for the following season. 

Headling from the BBC post regarding the sale of Pride Park:

Derby have reported a pre-tax profit of £14.6m after selling their Pride Park stadium to owner Mel Morris for £80m.

Edited by Merson08

Sounds like paper talk to me. Villa Park was listed as an asset of community value in 2018 and I believe it stipulates that the supporters have to be informed (via AVST) of any intention to sell the ground. Supporters are then given the opportunity to lodge a bid. 

I’d be amazed if the owners actually considered a purchase and lease back approach. The possibility of naming rights under Dr Xia was not met with any kind of positivity so this would be disastrous for them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Didn't Derby earlier this season sell Pride Park to themselves to meet their FFP. Wouldn't surprise me if Villa did the same. Why not? It has zero effect on Villa Park and gains a revenue boost for the following season. 

Headling from the BBC post regarding the sale of Pride Park:

Derby have reported a pre-tax profit of £14.6m after selling their Pride Park stadium to owner Mel Morris for £80m.

The problem is they didn't sell it to themselves they sold it to their owner who could keep it and lease it to them if he ever left, the owner now owns a prized asset that will go up in value over time and derby basically own nothing but their training ground.

Basically derby don't own that asset anymore.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The problem is they didn't sell it to themselves they sold it to their owner who could keep it and lease it to them if he ever left, the owner now owns a prized asset that will go up in value over time and derby basically own nothing but their training ground.

Basically derby don't own that asset anymore.

Has happened to a few clubs lower down. I think Coventry might be one

It's alright as long as we can buy it back for peanuts in the near future, but even then it's not a particularly palatable solution.  It comes solely down to trusting the owners, which I feel fairly safe doing with Wes and Nassef, but you never know.

As a last resort to keep the club running maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't like to see it.

All I've read coming from the club is that they are confident we will be FFP compliant if we don't go up.

Smacks of lazy journalism to me, dropping our name to push an article.

Like others - No. Not ever. Take the points deductions, get relegated. Twice. We can come back.

Lose control of your stadium and your future is no longer in your hands - see Coventry.

• Like 4

I can't see Villa doing this. Our owners are rich enough and savvy enough to find other ways to put money into the club, if we got to a time of 'desperate measures'.

The thing about what Derby did, is that you can only do it once. After that you're back to the norm of scraping by and trying to be clever in other ways. I just can't see our owners doing it for a one-time, one-season lump sum on the accounts.

It depends on the buyer. If it’s NSWE via another investment vehicle and their intentions are genuine i.e. long term owners and project, then it’s like deck chairs on the Titanic, but only as long as we don’t piss the cash received on some empty short term signings or mega wages. But if it’s a commercial enabler and it oils the wheels and it could give us a kick start to invest and not sell our key players then use it as a platform for the future. 

I genuinely don’t see how you can make a challenge on the top 6 without huge cash, the advantage they have in the monopoly of football cash precludes most from getting close. The correlation between wages and league position is almost an exact science.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's alright as long as we can buy it back for peanuts in the near future, but even then it's not a particularly palatable solution.  It comes solely down to trusting the owners, which I feel fairly safe doing with Wes and Nassef, but you never know.

The thing is there is a good chance that youbwoukdnt be able to buy it back or buy it back at reasonable price.

Its basically legal asset stripping, and with a lot of these owners once they get they hand on a huge asset and land that will greatly inflate in value over time, there is a real risk that they will just say......no it's mine you can rent it forever but the asset is mine.

It's super risky tbh and although I'm sure you could trust some owners to do the right think, there are probably just as many who wouldn't.

It's like you owning your house outright and being in some personal debt, then selling your house to a random business person under market value on the promise that you might get it sold back to you later and not have to rent it off them for the rest of your life.......that house appreciates in value every year so where is the incentive for them to sell it back to you at a remotely good price, or at all.

Feels wrong and shifty to me, as I said it's basically legal asset stripping of a club if your owner isn't 100% legit.

• Like 2

"We" don't own Villa Park. NSWE do. So they sell it to another one of their "assets". So what? Its just a loophole or a way around an issue. They still own it.

Yes FFP is nonsense, but if this happens, it has no bearing on us. If they sell the club on in the future, VP will be part of the deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

It's not like our owners need cash to profit from selling VP on in the future so if it puts £100m into the club to eradicate ffp issues, then I'm all for it.

Greed knows no bounds, too much risk with the club not owning their own ground

• Like 4

Â