Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

We simply need to start fast, and Glenn Whelan has to start. Should we be behind in the 2nd half then that would be Conor’s time. If we cut out the silly defensive mistakes that we saw in the WBA games then we should see a much improved performance. If Mings & Tuanzebe show the calmness and certainty that we know they have, we’ll be fine. I do think that Marriott will be tasked with trying to replicate Dwight Gayles performance against us, minus the sending off. I feel certain that Derby have to really pressure our CBs and not allow them to bring it out.

• Like 2

Im not sure about whelo in this one to be honest. I thought he was really poor first leg even excluding the mistake. 

Can we afford a risk of this huge massive game? I'd rather bring him on trying to protect a lead later on in the game. He tends to do really well under those circumstances. 

Understandably fans are a little more nervous heading in to this game due to our mediocre performances in the semi-final. One thing I think we forget is that we played a team of premiership players that came to nullify our game, and were very good at it. On Monday we play a team of Championship players that have struggled to contain our more experienced and  talented team. I am confident in this team and manager.

Can't wait. Going to be fantastic. 

UTV

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, but Leeds have their excuses, Derby capitalised.

We had to contend with 4 men on Jack and 2 Stagecoach buses situated in Westbrom's goal area from the word go.

Monday will be free for all and both teams will be able to give their all.

i agree with the observations of "many players on Jack"......but that means we have players free of close attention.....what are they doing with that luxury?......that is my main concern.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

i agree with the observations of many players on Jack......but that means we have players free of close attention.....what are they doing with that luxury?......that is my main concern.

One of those free players was Neil Taylor. He was dwelling on the ball, crossing it into the stands or playing a wayward pass.

I think it was a Boggie tactic to let him have the ball. Going forward, he was awful in both games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not sure about whelo in this one to be honest. I thought he was really poor first leg even excluding the mistake. 

Can we afford a risk of this huge massive game? I'd rather bring him on trying to protect a lead later on in the game. He tends to do really well under those circumstances. 

Fair enough mate. I just think his ability to intercept and read the opponent's attacking plays will be more beneficial against avery attack minded Derby team who channel most things through Mount as a No.10. My concern with CH is that he can go  missing for large parts of games when starting and would be much easier to bypass in that DM area. GW plays the ball simple but offloads it a bit quicker than CH and i think this will be the better way to transition against Derby. I also think GW will know this is prob his last chance to win something at his stage in his career so will rise to the occasion. 

Tough call for Smith either way.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

One of those free players was Neil Taylor. He was dwelling on the ball, crossing it into the stands or playing a wayward pass.

I think it was a Boggie tactic to let him have the ball. Going forward, he was awful in both games.

sadly, I agree with all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Risk? What risk?

FF to 4.14.

Oh that risk. Yeah get Conor on from the start. More creativity, we need to be all about goals from the off. Will be an open game regardless so may aswell go for the jugular

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

i agree with the observations of "many players on Jack"......but that means we have players free of close attention.....what are they doing with that luxury?......that is my main concern.

They were blocked by that bus infront of goal.

They gave us nothing.

I am confident we won't see Derby try such atrocious tactics in the final.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

When teams set up against us to put numbers on Grealish, that’s when I’d like to think we could be brave enough to go with 3 at the back to release an extra midfielder or forward. We have to find a way of making advantage elsewhere when teams commit 2 or 3 players on Grealish, or McGinn. WBA smothered the areas those 2 work in and we were found wanting. Crosses into the box weren’t enough and not good enough. We should have gone 3-5-2 with Kodjia alongside Tammy. There was practically no threat to us at the back.

• Like 2

Sitting nervously waiting like a Battle Of Britain RAF pilot waiting to scramble....I came up with this. (actually I’ve done loads of these things but this is the least pointless and rubbish one !).

As of today there are 10 sides that have been with Villa throughout their time in the Championship.

So I put a League Table Of them together, here it is, based on the 138 League games played over those 3 seasons...( I thought it worth putting out the entire Table 😀)......it’s going to be very very close guys !!

Team.           Points           GD

Villa.              221.               +50

Leeds.           218.               +32

Derby.            216.               +41

Sheff Wed.   202.               +12

Brentford.     197                +34

Preston.        194.              +12

Bristol.           191.               +9

Forest.           170.               -17

QPR                160.              -44

Blues.             151.              -43

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's very true. You just know when Taylor goes past the half way line the ball is going nowhere positive 

Other than the one two with Jack that led to the goal against Rotherham ?

Or the chip against WBA that led to CHs goal ?

Just two off the top of my head.

Whilst I respect everyone’s opinion, I’m not at all sure why players who have been part of a record breaking run and Won a Semi Final are getting criticised, I’m even less sure when the criticism isn’t even fair !

• Like 1

Hourihane is the wrong move in a game this big from the off. He's a good impact off the bench if we need him and never does well in that DM position. He's only of use there when a team is 11 men behind the ball.

I'm sure Smith knows this and will start Whelan.

I'm also all aboard the Kodj to start train as we have no other options that do any damage out there.

Wouldn't even bother to have both Green and Adomah on the bench, would have O'Hare, Hutton or Lansbury on there for one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eholm said:

GW or CH is the big call IMO.

Mason Mount is statistically their most creative player and loves the space between the lines as this is where he does most damage from either shooting from distance or passing it through the defence. I'm not one to particularly focus on one player but Smith will surely look to minimise Mount's influence; its not about changing how we play to counter the opposition, more a case of common sense and basic tactical application.

I feel that GW will nullify Mount more than CH would due to his more disciplined play and would cover the area better. GW is actually very good at moving the ball quickly and so I don't believe we would suffer in that regard. Obvs we would miss CH set pieces and left foot but I still believe that is a great weapon to have off the bench if required.

Albion attempted to nullify our best players (JG/JM) and one could argue that it very nearly worked. Now, there is no way that Smith will see this our most over-riding tactic as the Baggies did but I do think he will look to hold that central defensive area, nullifying Mount's impact and freeing up space for JG and JM. Also, Derby will be forced to go wide more often and again this will play into our hands as more space will be available centrally for us to attack and both of our CBs are arguably better at dealing with crosses than through balls to a speedy front man.

I am fairly confident that we won’t have anybody who is overly geared to nullify anyone in the villa team, maybe Johnson might kick one or two if he is near enough but thats about it - but 4 or 5 of ours will turn round and run directly at Villa twitch the ball so we will see how everybody fairs 

Edited by Visiting Ram

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

We simply need to start fast, and Glenn Whelan has to start. Should we be behind in the 2nd half then that would be Conor’s time. If we cut out the silly defensive mistakes that we saw in the WBA games then we should see a much improved performance. If Mings & Tuanzebe show the calmness and certainty that we know they have, we’ll be fine. I do think that Marriott will be tasked with trying to replicate Dwight Gayles performance against us, minus the sending off. I feel certain that Derby have to really pressure our CBs and not allow them to bring it out.

I actually think it's what we need to do to their CB'S in particular Keogh. I think the guy is a bluffer. Talks a great game and is vocal and a bit of a mouthpiece but has so many holes in his game. Need to go after guys like him and Cole.

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm also all aboard the Kodj to start train as we have no other options that do any damage out there.

Wouldn't even bother to have both Green and Adomah on the bench, would have O'Hare, Hutton or Lansbury on there for one of them.

That bench is not going to happen in my view, and rightly.

As for Kodja, I see the argument, but I doubt Smith will. A huge part of our success has been continuity of selection and all that brings with it. Whilst the individual performances of both Green and, in particular, Adomah, have been less than ideal, the overall outcome has been what’s been needed.

He has selected, and will select, one of those 2 to start and the other will in all likelihood be pencilled in to replace them on the hour. 

Kodja has made some impressive appearances from the bench, most notably against Rotherham....but not enough to start a game. Starting means it has to click from the off , as unlike the other two he has no defensive game at all. 

I think the starting line up will contain no surprises, and the same for the Subs Bench. Whelan and Green start  I reckon.

• Like 2