Midweek Football 6/9 May

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The last time we finished above Spurs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Premier_League

10 years later, we're hoping to beat the baggies to get to the play off finals, and they're settling in to their 62000 seater stadium, preparing to be 90 minutes away from being the champions of europe.

What the **** happened.

Shrewder management, on and off the pitch

London factor

Getting 4th in 2009/10

I'm actually begrudgingly  happy for them. Not enough to want them to win it. But what a night.

Their fans have had **** all to cheer about for decades, yet here they are, on the brink of being the envy of Europe. Imagine that being us. It's the dream of every non-plastic fan. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Really don't get what there is to hate about Spurs. 

To be honest...I'm jealous as ****.

23 **** years since we've had anything to cheer about. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Just the 2 assists for the recently turned 23 year old, in the biggest game in the clubs history.

Not sure I'd count the assist where he totally lost control of the ball and it accidentally ended up at the feet of one of his team mates.

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I actually don't mind them but couldn't stand Arry at time. Now its just Levy and Lloris from Spurs I dislike well Dier too but I refuse to admit he is a footballer

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Just the 2 assists for the recently turned 23 year old, in the biggest game in the clubs history.

That's the thing with him, statistically really impressive and he's still young but watching him he's not as capable or influential as a scholes or lampard or Gerrard despite I think better records than all of them 

Not a bad player by any means just not as good as his stats suggest 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think for some, it’s their supporters.

A bit of London biased coverage, maybe.

The wanting the group of English clubs crowned European champions to remain small.

But maybe there’s also a sense that in another reality, this could/should have been us.

Anyway, it’s football - it’s irrational, if people don’t like Spurs, I won’t begrudge them that. I don’t mind them myself.

I’ll be supporting Spurs on 1st June. Hopefully by that point, we’ll still all be too merrily drunk and giddy to care either way.

• Thanks 1

Jeez, just recovered from that (not in a good way).

Spurs will win this competition now.

Group stages they had 1 point from 3 games, were all but out and then in last 3 games they were 5 minutes from going out and found a way to score and get the results. Even then they needed Inter to not beat PSV at home.

Man. City game they just kept going. No VAR and they'd have been out of the competition.

Second half tonight they sensed Ajax were getting nervous, toss a few high balls and 3 goals later here we are. Ajax even had a goal kick on 94th minute which sums up the ridiculous nature of them still going through.

Sometimes teams are just destined to win competitions even if they're nowhere near the best team in the actual tournament. Liverpool 2005 and Chelsea 2012 are both good examples and they beat superior teams in the final so think Spurs will add to that list.

Kane also going to be back for final you'd imagine so he'll be extra attacking option. Spurs are sort of team that don't really dominant the play but always have dangerous quick players in the final third that can score so that's a way they can beat Liverpool who will be pouring forward with their full backs.

29 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Champions League Final one team ain't been champions for 60 years the other 30!! It's laughable!!

Do people still peddle this shite? It's been 20+ years since they had teams that werent champions in the competition and its been exponentially improved since they did. Get over it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think for some, it’s their supporters.

A bit of London biased coverage, maybe.

The wanting the group of English clubs crowned European champions to remain small.

But maybe there’s also a sense that in another reality, this could/should have been us.

Anyway, it’s football - it’s irrational, if people don’t like Spurs, I won’t begrudge them that. I don’t mind them myself.

I’ll be supporting Spurs on 1st June. Hopefully by that point, we’ll still all be too merrily drunk and giddy to care either way.

Yeah certainly the London thing (West Ham is another example with all their fans in the press). Teams that finish 6th in the league and get souvenir pull outs in the press whereas when we do it it gets a column and we get called boring for it, Everton aswell also get indifference when they finish that high.

I do agree considering we were finishing above them exactly a decade ago and all the decisions made by both clubs since then it would make me sick in the stomach to actually lift the major trophy in european football, I can live with them finishing top 4 but that really would be a sickener.

When Chelsea won it simply felt a matter of time with all their money and how often they were getting close in the years before. Man. City will eventually get there aswell being backed by a state.

Spurs have pretty much come out of nowhere.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know he gets a lot of hype due to his age and skills but De Ligt is certainly weak defensively and needs to develop before he moves higher up the football food chain

De ligt was good tonight, Blind really struggled v Llorente second half which was the problem and contributed to the winner.

I was more disappointed in De Jong. No doubt he's going to be a great player but he went completely missing second half. Ajax could hardly keep the ball for a minute so needed him to step up and slow the game down when Spurs were beginning to stir second half.

Â