Midweek Football 6/9 May

andykeenan

10 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Really don't get what there is to hate about Spurs. 

You clearly don't live round many of you don't know. The worst kind of fans that give it lrge even though they have won as much as us in last ten years. 

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Also, why wouldn't you want to cheer for an English team?

Simple, because the better they do, the bigger the gap becomes, and we can't throw money at the problem because,  you know, FFP.

****      EM     ALL

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A Liverpool Spurs Champions League final. 

God help us all. 

At least I know what I won’t be doing on the day of the final.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You clearly don't live round many of you don't know. The worst kind of fans that give it lrge even though they have won as much as us in last ten years. 

Actually same as us, two league cups in last 25 years! They're obviously lightyears ahead of us now so will take a good decade for us to get back on a par even if we go up this season.

Actually made me remember a poster on here called Jez_Villa or something. Whatever happened to him? I remember the roundabout debates we used to have on here circa 2007 when we were actually finishing above them in the league and he was still arguing they were miles better than  us, Glaston of course was posting regularly at the time. Think we had a couple of other of their fans on here aswell.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think I actually want Liverpool to win. 

Bloody hell. 

Plop for the CL, City for the PL

A meteor to flatten earth would work too...

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Actually same as us, two league cups in last 25 years! They're obviously lightyears ahead of us now so will take a good decade for us to get back on a par even if we go up this season.

Actually made me remember a poster on here called Jez_Villa or something. Whatever happened to him? I remember the roundabout debates we used to have on here circa 2007 when we were actually finishing above them in the league and he was still arguing they were miles better than  us, Glaston of course was posting regularly at the time. Think we had a couple of other of their fans on here aswell.

Yeah I remember both posters. Not sure what happened to jezvilla tbh. Quite liked his posts. 

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness, football doesn’t quite work like that, wanting (relatively) nearby clubs to do well in lieu of your own. If it did, we’d want small heath to do well in cup competitions as they’re geographically closer to us than other clubs.

It’s not an exact like for like situation, but to all intents and purposes, English clubs in Europe are our surrogate derby clubs. Their success has a potential knock on effect domestically.

I want Man Utd to lose to Barca in the same way I’d want Small heath to lose to QPR. It’s the same principle but just extrapolated.

Like I say, people love football clubs, they therefore can hate football clubs. It’s irrational.

No, it doesn't work quite like that - but it makes more sense for that to be the case than actively going against English sides (you could have a particular liking for a certain other club though).  Let's say Watford beat Man City in the F.A. Cup final and make it into Europe, I'd want them to do well and wouldn't be actively against them just because they're an English side.  I wouldn't suddenly consider them a surrogate derby club - it makes no sense.

I think there is a rationality about it all to be honest - it just depends what the rational is.  I imagine for most it's deep-rooted jealousy/boredom of seeing the same domestic clubs be successful.  So you're probably more likely to root for Barca against Man Utd than Barca against Leicester simply because Leicester are an English club.  Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 3

People just like who they like, and dislike who they dislike. 

I've nothing against English teams as such. I have to put up with some annoying Liverpool fans and as a result, it makes me enjoy Liverpool losing. 

I can't stand Bayern. I worked with an English guy who was a Bayern fan, then a Pep lover. Now I can't stand either. Chelsea beating them in their own back yard with a decimated team was glorious. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

People just like who they like, and dislike who they dislike. 

I've nothing against English teams as such. I have to put up with some annoying Liverpool fans and as a result, it makes me enjoy Liverpool losing. 

I can't stand Bayern. I worked with an English guy who was a Bayern fan, then a Pep lover. Now I can't stand either. Chelsea beating them in their own back yard with a decimated team was glorious. 

agree, the main influence is people you know that support other teams and as such there will be a lot of variance that seems irrational, I cant stand utd or Liverpool thanks to fans of both clubs that lived by me, you can throw in leeds and Newcastle to that too, spurs and city are nothing clubs to me because I don't know any city fans and very few spurs fans (although my old next door neighbours are sound arsenal fans who obviously hate them) I didn't want Chelsea to win because I didn't want them to join our club, spurs will be the same

working in germany ive been asked a lot in the last 2 weeks about supporting English clubs in Europe and they really don't understand the answer of "no, **** em, hope they lose" all ze germans in my office are cheering on Frankfurt this week even though none of them support them

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

working in germany ive been asked a lot in the last 2 weeks about supporting English clubs in Europe and they really don't understand the answer of "no, **** em, hope they lose" all ze germans in my office are cheering on Frankfurt this week even though none of them support them

I think it is probably because many english clubs have done well in europe at one point in history. Villa supporters are proud we won the EC I over 30 years ago and still beat about it, same way Liverpool supporters still talk about all their titles from long ago. It’s about bragging rights

for smaller countries, there is also the factor of the national coëfficiënt. National rivals doing well on the european scene benefits the local competition. For example: Ajax doing well brings the dutch league closer to an automatic ticket to the champions league. So PSV or Feyenoord could benefit from this in a few years. England has the maximum number of european tickets and are not at risk of losing any, so this is not a factor.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

No, it doesn't work quite like that - but it makes more sense for that to be the case than actively going against English sides (you could have a particular liking for a certain other club though).  Let's say Watford beat Man City in the F.A. Cup final and make it into Europe, I'd want them to do well and wouldn't be actively against them just because they're an English side.  I wouldn't suddenly consider them a surrogate derby club - it makes no sense.

I think there is a rationality about it all to be honest - it just depends what the rational is.  I imagine for most it's deep-rooted jealousy/boredom of seeing the same domestic clubs be successful.  So you're probably more likely to root for Barca against Man Utd than Barca against Leicester simply because Leicester are an English club.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes that’s fair. If Watford were playing in the europa, I wouldn’t be rooting for them to lose. I’d be indifferent to them unless I was given reason to be otherwise (Deeney scores a last minute winner against us a week before and reveals a “sotv” t-shirt or something).

But as you say, it’s probably more palatable to root for a side like Watford (who probably aren’t going to make winning things a habit) than see Liverpool or Man Utd win again.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Yeah like above, some English teams I’d happily see do well in Europe. Some I wouldn’t. 

Its never about them being English though. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Remember when we were better than Spurs?

I feel sick.

Wasn't *that* long ago!

:(

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think I actually want Liverpool to win. 

Bloody hell. 

Its like choosing between which fatal disease you want. 

On reflection, I think i'd rather have the scousers win it. As long as they don't win the league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Fulham were quite popular in 2010, think Leicester in Champions League too. Not sure Boro got same support when they got to final 

Boro actually had loads of memorable games in that run, pretty sure they were 2 or 3 down in aggregate in two of their knock out games and came back with last minute winners. Complete mis match in final v Sevilla who wiped the floor with them. That game was Southgate's last as a pro player.

Only reason I didn't want them to win was everyone was going mad about McClaren becoming England manager at the time so I assumed he'd be a lock for the job if he won the trophy. Boro were smashed and still the FA gave him the job which summed up their thinking at the time.

A total of 2 British players on the field combined in the Arsenal and Chelsea teams tonight.

3 if you count Barkley who was subbed on for Chelsea.

Â