Midweek Football 6/9 May

andykeenan

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Jeez, just recovered from that (not in a good way).

Spurs will win this competition now.

Group stages they had 1 point from 3 games, were all but out and then in last 3 games they were 5 minutes from going out and found a way to score and get the results. Even then they needed Inter to not beat PSV at home.

Man. City game they just kept going. No VAR and they'd have been out of the competition.

Second half tonight they sensed Ajax were getting nervous, toss a few high balls and 3 goals later here we are. Ajax even had a goal kick on 94th minute which sums up the ridiculous nature of them still going through.

Sometimes teams are just destined to win competitions even if they're nowhere near the best team in the actual tournament. Liverpool 2005 and Chelsea 2012 are both good examples and they beat superior teams in the final so think Spurs will add to that list.

Kane also going to be back for final you'd imagine so he'll be extra attacking option. Spurs are sort of team that don't really dominant the play but always have dangerous quick players in the final third that can score so that's a way they can beat Liverpool who will be pouring forward with their full backs.

Could say the same about Liverpool almost. Nearly went out in the group stage after losing all their away matches. Had to win in Bayern and did and then to overturn a 3-0 deficit against Barcelona

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Baffling that anyone would want a British club to win because they're British, a total neanderthal perspective.

This is **** nonsense. If anything, the “neanderthal perspective” is the other way round. We naturally associate with things close to us (probably hence why most of us are Aston Villa fans) so assuming the same stance elsewhere makes sense. 

(Besides, weren’t Neanderthals derived from mainland Europe and, therefore, the “neanderthal perspective” would be to support Barcelona and Ajax respectively?)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

whatever you think of tottenham it really is hard to dislike pochettino. the guy was all in tears for the post match interview biggieing up the supporters, the players and really loving the win. heart-warming to see.

Poch has to be one of the best managerial appointments any club has made in last decade.

Was a good manager at Southampton but we've seen so many at those sort of clubs struggle to step up to bigger clubs.

He's completely changed them. They are now an established top 4 club on about a 7th place budget (read the other day that Everton's wage bill is larger than theirs).

Of course frustrating for him that no trophies have been won but that will all be forgotten if he wins CL.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is **** nonsense. If anything, the “neanderthal perspective” is the other way round. We naturally associate with things close to us (probably hence why most of us are Aston Villa fans) so assuming the same stance elsewhere makes sense. 

(Besides, weren’t Neanderthals derived from mainland Europe and, therefore, the “neanderthal perspective” would be to support Barcelona and Ajax respectively?)

In fairness, football doesn’t quite work like that, wanting (relatively) nearby clubs to do well in lieu of your own. If it did, we’d want small heath to do well in cup competitions as they’re geographically closer to us than other clubs.

It’s not an exact like for like situation, but to all intents and purposes, English clubs in Europe are our surrogate derby clubs. Their success has a potential knock on effect domestically.

I want Man Utd to lose to Barca in the same way I’d want Small heath to lose to QPR. It’s the same principle but just extrapolated.

Like I say, people love football clubs, they therefore can hate football clubs. It’s irrational.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

whatever you think of tottenham it really is hard to dislike pochettino. the guy was all in tears for the post match interview biggieing up the supporters, the players and really loving the win. heart-warming to see.

Yeah he basically thanked everyone who he has ever been involved in his career, completely oblivious this is almost entirely down to him getting as much as possible out of an ok squad he hasn't been given the chance to improve recently.  Yes I'm a bit ghey for him but who cares.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I saw it was 2-0 Ajax and decided to skip the game, unbelievable.

It felt like in those good old days when we used to go 2-0 up at home to Man. United, realised what was happening and then totally forgot to play football for last half hour and crumbled.

Ajax are young and it showed second half. It's a different feeling trying to win semi final to last 16 tie. Didn't expect them to blow up given how well they did first half though.

• Like 2

What an incredible couple of days. Ultimately Liverpool & Tottenham deserve their spot in the final but I feel sorry for Ajax. This was their chance and now their team will get ripped apart (albeit for a insanely large profit). 

From a selfish perspective, I play for a football club where half the guys seem to be either 'pool or Spurs fans. The only thing that might get me through the next few weeks is if Villa get promoted!

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 2

Moura. Night of his life. The first goal was down to him sprinting from 40 yards away when most players wouldn't have made that effort. The second goal down to really clever footwork. The third goal was an assassin's goal. Great strike. 

• Like 1

Yep, feel sorry for Ajax as well. Couldn't care less about Barcelona, but Ajax were not supposed to be still in the tournament and they had this one wrapped up at halftime.

I really dislike Liverpool but have a soft spot for Spurs since my brother supports them and I find many of their players quite likeable, especially Son. 

This has been the craziest season of football in my lifetime. I was becoming so disillusioned with the sport but now I'm back in love.

I know I'm biased because Spurs are basically my second team since my little brother also supports them but I can't see why anyone can really hate them so much. They're basically the ideal in how to get a club to the top the supposed 'right' way. Didn't splash the cash willy nilly and developed promising young players into world class players over many years and slowly built to this point. Who wouldn't want to have a team with players and characters like Son, Eriksen, Kane, Lamela etc who in addition to being class players are also very likeable?

Villa is starting to make me feel like we're heading in that direction in recent times. If anything, I'd want Spurs to win it all to show it can be done. It's not a foregone conclusion. With a prudent ownership and a progressive manager, the sky really is the limit. 

Also, why wouldn't you want to cheer for an English team? They're representing the country and the league, wouldn't you want one of yours to smash those Barcelona etc words removed? Football is a tribal sport and you could say it's neanderthalic in nature, so in the spirit of the sport even I was backing Liverpool (who I absolutely detest) against Barcelona. 

• Like 2

Â