Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Just now, villanmac said:

Good to stick a bid in anyway. 

Player and agent could be knocking on the chairman's door asking for reasonable fee to be accepted

Exactly. It's not like club go aroudn sticking random bids in for players without knowing whether the player himself fancies a move. There will surely have been some encouragement.

Could we be waiting for the Wesley WP decision before announcing new signings? I'm sure I read the WP was all but guaranteed for a record signing so once that's approved maybe more deals can go through?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Exactly. It's not like club go aroudn sticking random bids in for players without knowing whether the player himself fancies a move. There will surely have been some encouragement.

It also shows the player that the buying club is serious about signing them.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

That was a terrible deal at the time

And Bristol said no to our £12m offer now and are asking £30m :crylaugh:

I just don't want us to be held hostage by a bunch of Championship clubs, it's just not value for money most times.

Wait, I didn't see the 30m. That's just taking the piss  :crylaugh: 

Bet you could have signed Barzagli for that much before he just retired.

i know things cant always happen at break neck pace, but we are going on the USA tour in......2 weeks (maybe 2.5 weeks)?

We really need as much of a squad together as humanly possible by the time we fly out........the squad needs a good chunk of game time/training time to get some semblance of cohesion....

we have 14-18 days ish to get something resembling a squad signed....(ideally)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i know things cant always happen at break neck pace, but we are going on the USA tour in......2 weeks (maybe 2.5 weeks)?

We really need as much of a squad together as humanly possible by the time we fly out........the squad needs a good chunk of game time/training time to get some semblance of cohesion....

Not so much of a problem if it's any of the players from last year!

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I am starting to worry about this too. We're in danger of half a squad going on preseason. We're going to have major problems getting a squad to gel together. They need to be here for preseason.

• Like 1

When are the players actually back for pre-season? The game in America isn't until the 18th July. In an ideal world you'd want at least your core signings in for day 1 of pre-season, but when is that? I know some clubs are back next week,  but surely that's way too early for us based on our schedule of games

If players of the quality of Andre Gomes are going for £22 million then we really shouldn't be paying similar amounts for some of the players we've had tenuous links to so far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Just quickly looking, the market rate for most young CBs were in the 15-20m range, so that Webster bid might be on the lower end of the spectrum. 

well, he's 24, will be 25 mid season, wouldnt say thats young, as much approaching prime as young.

6 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Just quickly looking, the market rate last year for most young CBs were in the 15-20m range, so that Webster bid might be on the lower end of the spectrum. 

I'd imagine there are less than 20 CB's in the history of football that has gone for £20m or more.

Young ones even fewer.

Obviously this will have changed drastically after this summer but still.

We are not in a position yet to be fueling this market.

Edit: At least not for this guy.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I'd rate Webster at the same level as Mings. I'd pay the same for both of them  - £15mish. Not much more than that. I have to accept there will be a little bit of inflation when compared to say Mepham but not too much. All similar levels for me.