Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The thing is Pete why they even giving her the exposure? They may not directly give their "opinion" but they know it will drive up a debate and sympathy from some areas. I mean who cares about her seriously? She is a grown woman decided to betray her control and has shown no remorse. why they even giving her the time?? 

Short answer - because it’s News and they are news channels/ programmes

Also because there are around 800 like her who went there and now want to come back, apparently, and international law means they have a right to. Discussion over how they should be treated is valid. Better that than no one know the faintest hint of what is going to happen.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think I am expressing my point very well as this is what I am trying ti get that and a lot of people fall for this and their fl tactics like sky and the BBC trying to drum up sympathy for her. 

The coverage I've read reports her view that people should have sympathy with her.  This is not at all the same thing as trying to drum up sympathy for her.

The coverage seems reasonably balanced as far as it goes, though Sky quote things like the former head of MI6 saying she and others are potentially dangerous if they return, without also including his view, which other media covered, that she has a legal right of return.

The coverage however focusses too much on the human interest angle, and I haven't seen as much discussion of the question of thousands of people from scores of countries travelling to take part in a war which our government was supporting, and which has created millions of refugees.  Both refugees and returning fighters pose very difficult issues for us and others, but coverage focusses more on individual cases like this, than the far bigger questions.

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

Short answer - because it’s News and they are news channels/ programmes

Also because there are around 800 like her who went there and now want to come back, apparently, and international law means they have a right to. Discussion over how they should be treated is valid. Better that than no one know the faintest hint of what is going to happen.

Yeah you do have a point I guess it's better than not knowing what would happen. But if they wanted to sneak her over under a different identity they quite easily do so without us knowing. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But if they wanted to sneak her over under a different identity they quite easily do so without us knowing. 

Image result for wtf

Wasn't this a conversation about the media? Do you think the Beeb are going to stow her under a lorry and go through the channel?

Or do you think the government is going to let them in but keep in quiet, in which case, what has that got to do with anything when you were going on about the media? And surely the government doing this would just make people like you angrier when it inevitably leaks. And why would they do this anyway when they're refusing to provide her any assistance in returning to the country?

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Image result for wtf

Wasn't this a conversation about the media? Do you think the Beeb are going to stow her under a lorry and go through the channel?

Or do you think the government is going to let them in but keep in quiet, in which case, what has that got to do with anything when you were going on about the media? And surely the government doing this would just make people like you angrier when it inevitably leaks. And why would they do this anyway when they're refusing to provide her any assistance in returning to the country?

I'm not even angry. No point us continuing this discussion as we won't agree on it. 

23 hours ago, Xela said:

In the States, it looks like the Jussie Smollet (actor from Empire) case is unravelling. 

He was the subject of an alleged racist attack from a couple of white guys in MAGA hats who poured bleach on him and put a noose around his neck. A shocking crime! However, from reports it looks as though it was all staged and two Nigerian born extras from the show helped stage it. They were arrested and have now been released after (according to rumours) rolling over and cooperating with the feds. 

Very disturbing case, adds to the 'victimocracy' hypothesis.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:26, Xela said:

I bet everyone in this thread has thought, said or done something in the past that if revealed today would have them vilified and their life ruined. 

I know. I once said that Bosko Balaban was a good signing.. Imagine the reactions if that came out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I know. I once said that Bosko Balaban was a good signing.. Imagine the reactions if that came out.

You monster.

• Like 1

Cheers! :) Sounds like a woman I wouldn't like.

I actually don't like the term "racist". The thing is, we're one race. Homo Sapiens. That's it. The rest is just different skin colours and stuff like that. I read somewhere that biggest genetic difference between humans is 0,4% and between fruit flies it's 4%. I guess it's down to them being a bit smaller and less complex and the biggest difference between humans is mostly because of like people with DS and so on. Just an uneducated guess. I know there are many who're far more ducated than me in this field so I'm counting on those people stepping forward to either confirm or deny what I've said. :) But still, we're one race. But as we don't seem to have a better word for it.

12 minutes ago, Pelle said:

The thing is, we're one race. Homo Sapiens. That's it. The rest is just different skin colours and stuff like that

One species, definitely. Multiple races (which I agree is kind of an artificial construct). All pretty much the same, but the tiny differences seem to be what people split into races.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

One species, definitely. Multiple races (which I agree is kind of an artificial construct). All pretty much the same, but the tiny differences seem to be what people split into races.

True. Homo Sapiens would be a specie, not a race in that kind of way. And yes, pretty much the same. It's not like different races among dogs that can really differ. Just an example. On the other hand, I don't think racists ever think of it like that. Most of the time they're ignorant at best.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I actually don't like the term "racist". The thing is, we're one race. Homo Sapiens.

As has been pointed out, we're one species.

The issue of racism is about bigotry against people with (relatively) obviously defined differences. It has little to do with taxonomy.

• Like 2

The discussion of race and dog breeds reminds me of a completely stupid comment by one of the US' leading white nationalists (who brilliantly also has a ridiculous hick accent and a lisp) which I heard on a podcast but I can't link to it to just play the quote unfortunately.

@Demitri_C You are not alone in noticing that corporate media often has an agenda and is selective in what it will report. Editorial independence is not a given.

For anyone who is interested (previously posted), an NBC reporter of 30 years outlines that as the very reason for his resignation in this article and letter:

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/reporter-quits-nbc-citing-networks-support-for-endless-war-7d1ca15cd2fc

However, as for the meme that you posted, don't you think that it's a bit extreme to label 'the left' in such a simplistic way?

I don't see what the insinuation of the meme has to do with social equality or concern for someone perceived as being at a disadvantage.

'Young Muslim girl being forgiven on account of her naivety and race, and a senior white man being persecuted on account of his foolishness and race.'

A poor attempt at propaganda. from the beguiler who would lead others astray, intended for the ignorant. Not really a banner for the left.

The hypocrisy that the meme suggests is without doubt present in the 'right wing' too. If it wasn't such a sad state of affairs it might be ironic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

danny baker fired from the bbc after a racist tweet, tweeted a picture of 2 well to do people with a chimpanzee under "royal baby leaves the hospital"

he can contest his innocence but its hard to believe he's that naive / stupid either way

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

danny baker fired from the bbc after a racist tweet, tweeted a picture of 2 well to do people with a chimpanzee under "royal baby leaves the hospital"

he can contest his innocence but its hard to believe he's that naive / stupid either way

In a weird way I almost feel like he’s too clever to have done that on purpose. He would know how offensive it is and that it would probably get him sacked. 

Not defending the tweet or him by the way. 

i know what you mean, I don't believe him to be racist but I don't believe him to be that naive to think it wouldn't cause offence, unless there is some much higher meaning to it all with regards to the royal family and a new show thing that he wont get an opportunity to explain because it will go from racism to an attack on the royals which also wont go down well

Â