Racism Part two

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You need to look at my first post in this topic, maybe that'll re-jog your memory :)  

The one where you said it wasn't racist at all and that everyone was overreacting? It's now clear that you hadn't even read the interview before jumping to absolve him of racism.

I remember part 1 of this thread being similar, which I remember finding surprising because you're a knowledgeable (and entertaining) poster on most other topics. I notice you admitted that maybe your idea of what constitutes racism might be off, and I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but perhaps refresh your knowledge on the (very violent) history of racism to help contextualize incidents like this. It's much deeper than just disliking or yelling slurs at people.

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The one where you said it wasn't racist at all and that everyone was overreacting? It's now clear that you hadn't even read the interview before jumping to absolve him of racism.

I remember part 1 of this thread being similar, which I remember finding surprising because you're a knowledgeable (and entertaining) poster on most other topics. I notice you admitted that maybe your idea of what constitutes racism might be off, and I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but perhaps refresh your knowledge on the (very violent) history of racism to help contextualize incidents like this. It's much deeper than just disliking or yelling slurs at people.

I absolutely understand racist history and the terrible things that people from white backgrounds have done to black people.. 

What I found confusing in this story is that had his friend said white or whatever, it would have been the same result. 

What I didn't understand was that he was going to choose any old fella of that description, and "kill him", that IS racist because he's profiling a specific group of people.  

My "grey area" was the identifying criteria.

I still maintain that he "probably" isn't a racist though, and that through the anger he felt upon learning about his friend, he was just angry, rather being actively racist, hence my comment. 

To finish, I couldn't give a monkey about what happens to Neeson, but some of the arguments I've seen on social media are ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Did Liam Neeson display a racist behaviour 40 years ago? Yes. Does that make him a racist today? No.

I agree with the general principle.  But from what I've seen of his comments, and I may have missed something, he's expressed regret for his reaction and for going round hoping to get involved in a (lethal) fight.  What I haven't seen is him recognising that his impulse was racist.  In fact, in the last few days he's spoken about the search for revenge being futile.  That suggests that he thinks his actions were motivated by revenge.  To me, revenge is about getting back at the person or people responsible for something.  I don't know how violence against random members of the same racial group as the guilty party can be considered revenge, except if you think that all members of that group in some way share responsibility for the guilty party.  It's that perception that is racist, and it appears he still has that perception, rather than recognising that trying to punish another member of that racial group is not revenge, but something else altogether.  I don't think he gets it, from his recent remarks.

• Like 1

I bet everyone in this thread has thought, said or done something in the past that if revealed today would have them vilified and their life ruined. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

wasn't it Gucci who had (white) models wearing turbans and Hijibs that outraged a few people  on twitter the other year  ?

it would suggest that they deliberately court controversy  or that fashion designers really are on planet La La and the real world has passed them by ( obviously this also includes football kit designers :D )

Benetton was doing the same shit years ago. I'd like to see Twitter's reaction to some of their old ads.

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

I bet everyone in this thread has thought, said or done something in the past that if revealed today would have them vilified and their life ruined. 

That's quite possibly true, but how many of us have said them out loud, to a journalist with a tape recorder, while on the job promoting an action movie? 

I mean, the thought police invading his privacy it ain't

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's quite possibly true, but how many of us have said them out loud, to a journalist with a tape recorder, while on the job promoting an action movie? 

I mean, the thought police invading his privacy it ain't

Oh I agree, Neeson was mental to mention it in his interview. I just can't how a seemingly intelligent man can make such an error of judgement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Oh I agree, Neeson was mental to mention it in his interview. I just can't how a seemingly intelligent man can make such an error of judgement. 

Maybe he didn't see it as an error in judgement and was just trying to get the point across that revenge is wrong. He probably didn't even realize the racial component to what he said (and thought at the time) until after it blew up.

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

100% but people would never admit to it

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2019 at 05:26, Xela said:

Tragic, ain't it?

There is so much animosity in the world. The system is adversarial. 'Might is right' is a universally recognised philosophy. Yet civilisation was based on creation.

We focus on judgment, condemnation, and punishment. Restitution, compromise, and forgiveness are not principles we see from a systemic POV.

It's to our own detriment, as any system we employ to govern the complexities of life will ultimately fail as long as that system fails to acknowledge human nature.

• Like 2

I think it's generational and circular.

The 70s and 80s were heavily political and the 90s and 00s no-one really gave a **** about anything.  

Something something "I'm not like my parents".

Just get the next 11 years out the way and everyone will hopefully chill the **** out, pick one gender and get the old Jim Davidson videos out :lol:

• Like 1

Â