Match Thread: Reading v Villa

limpid

Can't keep chasing shadows for another 45 or they are going to burn out fast . They just can't seem to keep hold of the ball for any significant amount of time. 

I'd put Kodjia on as his drag backs alone are worth 20 seconds of possession.

Really poor since about 15 minutes in, Mings and Elphick look pretty strong but everyone else is powderpuff. Hourihane started the game so well but has gone back to chasing shadows, and the same can be said about McGinn and Whelan.

The wingers aren't offering enough again, ElGhazi was bright in the first 10 but can't control the ball since then.

We need to improve, a Reading goal is inevitable.

Referee is absolutely awful for both sides, worst thing about this league!

Everytime there's a loose ball I find myself clearing my under 9's coach voice and shouting "ONE OF YOU!" as 3 Villa players go for the same ball. 

As a side note, El Ghazi is looking lively, but can't receive a ball to save his life. And Mings looks the business so far.

If you’d never watched football before this game, you’d be none the wiser about what the rules are after that half from the referee.

We still miss Grealish, and have dropped off a cliff after a decent first 15. Mings looks decent though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Thanks Kalinic. The rest of the team are an utter disgrace.

Started brightly that quickly became this teams speciality. Lazy, sloppy, passive, easy option nothing passes to nobody. Nobody taking responsibility and getting on the ball.

To be fair we had 25-30 mins on top and should have scored a couple before they got going. Then yeah, the last 15 was way too sloppy, we need to have the confidence to stay compact and knock it about instead of rushing things and giving it away.

I think we got to get Carroll on for Whelan. I am 100% sure that the reason we signed Carroll was to have an alternative to Grealish or take pressure off him even. It's clear we are struggling creating anything because we simply are unable to pass the ball around. We might lose without Wheland, but we might actually win as well. 

• Like 1

Both our wingers are utter gash. The longer we rely on them to provide our attacking intent the worse we will be. 

Kodjia out of position provides ten times the threat of Adomah. 

As soon as a any attack breaks down they are straight though our midfield and into the box.  And this is a poor team. 

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

Can't keep chasing shadows for another 45 or they are going to burn out fast . They just can't seem to keep hold of the ball for any significant amount of time. 

I'd put Kodjia on as his drag backs alone are worth 20 seconds of possession.

Carroll for Whelan, Kodija for Albert. Tell Kodija to come inside as much as possible, they look quite happy letting us have it wide. Maybe Carroll can help to keep the ball better...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Carroll for Whelan, Kodija for Albert. Tell Kodija to come inside as much as possible, they look quite happy letting us have it wide. Maybe Carroll can help to keep the ball better...

I'd say take Whelan off for Kodjia and play 4-4-2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

To be fair we had 25-30 mins on top and should have scored a couple before they got going. Then yeah, the last 15 was way too sloppy, we need to have the confidence to stay compact and knock it about instead of rushing things and giving it away.

It doesn't matter. We didn't score and this type of nonsense is becoming the norm now. It's lazy. Lazy performances. From Albert and Hutton just letting runners go. To Whelan Hourihane and El Ghazi not getting on the ball, not getting into positions to get on the ball. Just not working anywhere near hard enough. To be a passing team you have to work hard to find space and give people options.
We don't do any of that. Just stand around in groups of threes staring at each other.