Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I would keep him. Imagine a situation where say Cash is injured or suspended and one of Mings/Konsa/Targett?  Hause can play at CB or LB, Fred can play at RB or LB, and Elmo RB or CB.  We need him for additional cover - because at the moment our RB cover is also a backup CB (unless something happens to change the Engels situation). 

I would think he would be getting game time for us this season.

If he does leave, he would need to be replaced. He looks OK at this level, whereas all we could replace him with now would be a Championship player, which would be a gamble, and likely cost more than we would get for him. 

21 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I would keep him. Imagine a situation where say Cash is injured or suspended and one of Mings/Konsa/Targett?  Hause can play at CB or LB, Fred can play at RB or LB, and Elmo RB or CB.  We need him for additional cover - because at the moment our RB cover is also a backup CB (unless something happens to change the Engels situation). 

If he does leave, he would need to be replaced. He looks OK at this level, whereas all we could replace him with now would be a Championship player, which would be a gamble, and likely cost more than we would get for him. 

Guilbert also played at cb for caen

29 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Guilbert also played at cb for caen

Did he play there the season they got relegated if so that explains alot 😂only joking I like Guilbert but can’t see him getting much game time unless we get an injury crisis, but he seems to be a bit overrated on this board it’s funny really considering the stick Trezeguet and Elghazi get I would certainly put Guilbert in the same category as Elghazi in terms of ability 

Edited by gwi1890

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Did he play there the season they got relegated if so that explains alot 😂only joking I like Guilbert but can’t see him getting much game time unless we get an injury crisis, but he seems to be a bit overrated on this board it’s funny really considering the stick Trezeguet and Elghazi get I would certainly put Guilbert in the same category as Elghazi in terms of ability 

You don't remain one of the top tackles in Europe for 4 seasons in a row by being average. Wan bissaka, pereira and guilbert are all among the best tackers in the league and should be viewed as such. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I would keep him too.....its a long season, we need cover.

he can develop more without pressure too and work on his game and positional sense.....first teamers need players to be breathing down their necks too.

we need to keep him.

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

You don't remain one of the top tackles in Europe for 4 seasons in a row by being average. Wan bissaka, pereira and guilbert are all among the best tackers in the league and should be viewed as such. 

Yes.....but equally our eyes don't lie either.

he has been caught out of position many times and despite his tenacity at times, he can be physically negated too....in some games he has looked poor.

He is a game character and i am certain in a more sure footed team like we have now, he would not look so exposed and his vonfidence woukd be more entacted....but we cannot run with 1 right back.

The shirt is not guaranteed now, and subsequently it gives us an opportunity to raise standards in the process.

moving forward, i don't think the team will pick itself.....it will be the form players who will win the shirt......the battle begins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

we only paid about 3m so no big loss i don't think

Not worried about a loss I’m just wondering what an ok right back would fetch after a year in the league.... you would think more than 3m

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes he’s good tackler doesn’t mean he’s a good defender .Robbie savage had good tackling stats, being aware of what’s around you when to press when to hold your positions is also a part of defending, both Liverpool’s goals came from one or more of our players being caught out of position, this is something that Guilbert is regularly out of hence the amazing last ditch tackles he’s doesn’t win the ball higher up the pitch he wins it when he’s tracking back trying to make up for his mistake

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes he’s good tackler doesn’t mean he’s a good defender .Robbie savage had good tackling stats, being aware of what’s around you when to press when to hold your positions is also a part of defending, both Liverpool’s goals came from one or more of our players being caught out of position, this is something that Guilbert is regularly out of hence the amazing last ditch tackles he’s doesn’t win the ball higher up the pitch he wins it when he’s tracking back trying to make up for his mistake

Paramount importance.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Some strange opinions in here. I can't see him being able to improve his left foot much at all, but there are plenty of right footed left backs who don't have a strong left - Jonny, Santon in the past, Azpilicueta when he played LB.

And Freddie, as much as I love him, should be nowhere near our right wing. Never mind training him on his left foot, he has plenty other areas to improve on first.

Tom, who do you see as back up in the role Trez had against Liverpool. A role where he mostly defended deep , to cancel Robertson’s threat. Or attacking wise playing early crosses. 

El Ghazi can’t do it. And im not sure Traore can. If our wingers can’t track back against the top teams we will lose. 

I think Jack and Trez have really done well defensively in this successful period. 

An injury to Trez and i think personally i would play Freddy. 

I hope Traore convinces me otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Tom, who do you see as back up in the role Trez had against Liverpool. A role where he mostly defended deep , to cancel Robertson’s threat. Or attacking wise playing early crosses. 

El Ghazi can’t do it. And im not sure Traore can. If our wingers can’t track back against the top teams we will lose. 

I think Jack and Trez have really done well defensively in this successful period. 

An injury to Trez and i think personally i would play Freddy. 

I hope Traore convinces me otherwise.

Sounds like a role for Elmo, although I don't think he'd last more than 60 mins doing that.

Tbh, I'd probably play Cash as the further forward option,  and Guilbert at right back.  Nice to have options hey!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Sounds like a role for Elmo, although I don't think he'd last more than 60 mins doing that.

Tbh, I'd probably play Cash as the further forward option,  and Guilbert at right back.  Nice to have options hey!

Good shout, imo

5 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Good shout, imo

Obviously only against the top teams as you say.  Then as the game is closing out you can make changes to suit...if we're ahead and Cash is looking tired you can bring on elmo to see out the last 30 mins. If we're behind and need to push for something you go offensive and shove Traore on. The excessive number of usable right backs we have,  is really just a good level of cover. 

The same can't be said for the left side sadly. After Targett, I rate Taylor very lowly. Losing Grealish (perish the thought) would probably mean Trez moving over to the left,  which is fine defensively, but we'd be crippled going forwards on both wings then, unless Traore proves to be a good signing. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Obviously only against the top teams as you say.  Then as the game is closing out you can make changes to suit...if we're ahead and Cash is looking tired you can bring on elmo to see out the last 30 mins. If we're behind and need to push for something you go offemsive and shove Traore on. The excessive number of usable right backs we have,  is really just a good level of cover. 

The same can't be said for the left side sadly. After Targett, I rate Taylor very lowly. Losing Grealish (perish the thought) would probably mean Trez moving pretty over to the left,  which is fine defensively, but we'd be crippled going forwards on both wings then, unless Traore proves to be a good signing. 

Couldn’t agree more. Horses for courses. Replacing Grealish will be difficult. I think i would personally change the formation. Change to 532. Barkley behind Davis and Watkins. (Off the top of my head)

Edited by Danishlad

Â