Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Konsa looked more exposed under Gerrard. Mings was very solid for the most part. 

^^^^ This was how I was feeling about Mings and Konsa last season. Mings seemed to improve whereas Konsa seemed to start making errors and looking a bit exposed. 

Oddly, I also think that McGinn has also regressed during Gerrard's time in charge so I find it odd that he made him Captain. Unless, Gerrard knows/sees McGinn didn't play in a natural position last season and therefore expects better now that Kamara is in the holding role? 

Either way, I think it is tough on Mings to lose all forms of Captaincy at the club. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

Or maybe our manager has more experience than you, knows more about footballers, sees the players day in and day out, plus was an unreal captain himself. 

I love how we have so many fully qualified coaches and managers that are fans, shame that playing fifa means nothing in the real world of top level professional football. 

TY can now concentrate on his own game, instead of having to carry konsa, hause and at times last season Chambers. 

Ginny I think will be a great captain, he must have something about him to be a leader considering he captains his country also, so I'd rather trust a national team manager and our manager than our thousand of fifa22 managers that wouldn't have a clue about running a Premier league team. 

100+ votes on the 'Captaincy' thread seem to agree with me. Am I not allowed an opinion? To be fair managers have never got it wrong in the past have they...

• Like 1

Does make me think that maybe Mings isn’t a guaranteed starter from now on, maybe Gerrard is thinking he may favour a combo that doesn’t include Mings to start.  

Probably not the case but still arguably a big move by Gerrard switching the captaincy for very little benefit, so does raise questions why beyond the snippets he gave in the media report.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Does make me think that maybe Mings isn’t a guaranteed starter from now on, maybe Gerrard is thinking he may favour a combo that doesn’t include Mings to start.  

This. 

Its tough on Mings as I like him but may be an indication that Gerrard doesn't seem him in the team long term. 

The reality is that he needed to be stripped of the captaincy so he could focus on his performances.

He is fighting for a starting place let alone being captain.

This will result in two things, he will either improve as a player or he will regress and become out of favour.

• Like 1

Tyrone has been excellent for us but imho right now he has slipped behind Chambers/Carlos. I hope he takes this opportunity to focus more on his individual game.

He is not the sulking type, I am sure we will see him step up and work harder than before.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrards comments about Mings focusing on his own game are telling. I think we can all agree this is what he needs to do in terms of concentration and decision making.

Or find another club.

That's what I would be doing if I were TM right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if he moves on now.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Or find another club.

That's what I would be doing if I were TM right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if he moves on now.

If he wanted to leave because he is no longer captain then what would that say about his character? 

Thankfully I think he is bigger than that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

The reality is that he needed to be stripped of the captaincy so he could focus on his performances.

This will result in two things, he will either improve as a player or he will regress and become out of favour.

100% this, can’t believe it’s being spun into a Gerrard issue. I don’t agree with the captaincy choice but the reality was Mings needed this. I don’t believe there’ll be bad blood from him and the idea he’ll be pushing for a move now is laughable. 

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

To be fair, those stats might be a bit misleading in this context.

Those are all defensive stats, he's been our main defender, Konsa was the other one.

You wouldn't expect it to be Ollie Watkins or Cash with those stats would you?

So when it says " Most " he's realistically only competing with Konsa and Chambers. lol

EDIT: Aside from the passes completed.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

McGinn shouldn't be starting either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I don’t have any issue with this, I think it takes much needed pressure off Mings. He’s still going to be as vocal as ever but he does need to focus on his game more and this will help it.

But why do it in full glare of the national media and have it rumbling on all over summer ?

Â