Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

I wouldn't call 88 PL appearance "so inexperienced", but I get the wider point that he has time to improve.

Still think he will be a squad filler from next season. Which wouldn't be a bad thing at all for several reasons.

It certainly is when he's up against the likes of Casemiro, De Bruyne, Odegaard, Bruno Guimarães all who have played more games...

In all likeliness Villa won't have to rely on him as much next season and rest him where appropriate and I welcome that. Competition will greatly improve his game and so too a preseason with Emery.

His stats are decent for sure.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It certainly is when he's up against the likes of Casemiro, De Bruyne, Odegaard, Bruno Guimarães all who have played more games...

In all likeliness Villa won't have to rely on him as much next season and rest him where appropriate and I welcome that. Competition will greatly improve his game and so too a preseason with Emery.

His stats are decent for sure.

I agree. He is a good player and can improve. People calling other posters entitled and embarrassing for not thinking he is a great player at this stage, is in itself, embarrassing. 

(Not you btw)

He's really hanging onto the ball a bit too much. Needs to learn to pass and move again which he was doing when he first broke into the team and most of last season.

Casemiro and Lemina have disposed him far too easily in last three games.

It's that tricky second season he's had that most young players do.

• Like 1

Like Jack he needs to keep playing, developing his game, knowing when to pass, and weight of pass. He can only do that , like Jack , if he keeps playing.

Unlike Jack he has goals in him from midfield.

He isn't yet, but he could be a very, very good player.

I think he is a key player for our development.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just to expand a bit on that stat, I guess I feel that while he has clocked up a significant number of top flight games for his age, he is still very young. 

The Grealish thing - to be clear, I don’t think Ramsey will be as good - but just as a point of comparison, approaching the age of 22, Grealish at that age had that pre season kidney injury. Up to that point, he’d had a reasonable year in the championship and a cracking performance at Wembley against Liverpool. While the talent was there I don’t think many were looking at him and thinking “£100m player there…”.

Point being, Grealish didn’t really click until turning 23/24 and at a lower level (which he was able to replicate in the top flight). 

If Jacob has even a halfway similar increase in performance, he’ll be a fantastic player for us.

I dunno, I always thought Grealish would become a top class player because of his unbelievable technique. I don't have that same feeling with JJ, nowhere near it tbh.

Edited by Tom13

On 06/05/2023 at 19:09, MWARLEY2 said:

Moustache slowing him down. Needs to get rid. 

Too Bushy.... must have modelled himself On Gerald Nebarro.

4 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I agree. He is a good player and can improve. People calling other posters entitled and embarrassing for not thinking he is a great player at this stage, is in itself, embarrassing. 

(Not you btw)

Who did that? 

19 hours ago, Powehi said:

I think he needs to be the understudy to a class player in his position next season - I really rate him and definitely am not writing him off, but I think he needs to see what 8/10 performances minimum in his position looks like so he can understand the level required.

8/10 every week? There are very few in world football who do that 

He's great when we are bossing midfield and he has space to run with the ball.

Not so great at other times, as he's not overly effective off the ball (compared to McGinn and Buendia) and then runs the ball into a dead-end for a turnover.

Certainly room to improve and he has the ability, but I'm not certain I'd start him every game.

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

8/10 every week? There are very few in world football who do that 

Depends on what your scale is? I guess I could replace that with consistently good performances, rather than great one week, bad the next which I'm sorry to say is JJ's current level.

6 hours ago, Powehi said:

Depends on what your scale is? I guess I could replace that with consistently good performances, rather than great one week, bad the next which I'm sorry to say is JJ's current level.

Going by whoscored's metrics, the only player in the top 5 leagues to average 8 or above is Messi. Highest in PL is KdB at 7.7. 

More to the point, JJ knows what good and bad performances look like. He doesn't need to watch them from the bench, so he can  magically realise that it was just consistency all along. He's trying his best to be consistently good, but he's 21 and learning - there will be bumps in the road.

Him sitting on the bench will prolong his development, so you either want to help young players come through and be patient at times, or you'd rather have players at their peaks already who are more consistent and ignore youth. 

• Like 2

Ramsey is a Top 10 young player in the league this season.

He ranks 8th on Whoscored for players under 22. 7th if you only include players with decent minutes played (removed Maduekes 382mins). Behind only Saka, Martinelli, Olise, Caicedo and Ouattara.

Young players out on loan from our own club and from around the league would kill to be in Ramseys position by the time they turn 21. 

He has lots to learn, but he only learns it by playing.

He loves the club and he's playing well, how is this even a discussion?

• Like 3

3 of the Top 10 play at Brighton. 

If we want to compete at the top, we're going to routinely have players taken from us - as Brighton do.  The only way to compete with the Elite Clubs is to be world class at identifying and developing talent. Either within our academy or abroad.

The only way to keep attracting that talent is to show them a pathway to the first team. 

You can't do that by taking literally one of the best performing young players in the league and casting him aside because he's not Lampard/Gerrard reincarnate at 21

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Ramsey is a Top 10 young player in the league this season.

He ranks 8th on Whoscored for players under 22. 7th if you only include players with decent minutes played (removed Maduekes 382mins). Behind only Saka, Martinelli, Olise, Caicedo and Ouattara.

Young players out on loan from our own club and from around the league would kill to be in Ramseys position by the time they turn 21. 

He has lots to learn, but he only learns it by playing.

He loves the club and he's playing well, how is this even a discussion?

Of course it's a discussion. His current limitations are quite obvious to a few of us. Not to say he's a bad player and can't improve, of course he's not and of course he can, but we can discuss things.

In tight spaces, he struggles. Buendia, Douglas Luiz, Kamara and Moreno can all operate comfortably in tight spaces, but JJ's weakness sticks out like a sore thumb in that department at the moment.

His physicality and running power does help us a fair bit though.

Â