Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He looked much more effective in Dean Smith’s system than with Emery. One of the few players to have regressed. Hopefully he can keep working with the manager and find his fit. 

This might be an oversimplification - I think Emery would feel Ramsey is doing the things he needs to do for how Emery’s wide midfielders always play. However I agree he needs to add end product back in - we know he has a shot on him and he has seemed reluctant to hit it at times when he could and then gone down a blind alley. Hopefully adds that end product back in. Not an exact comparison but it reminds me of when Mourinho was managing Joe Cole and he scaled back the attacking flair to do some more disciplined work for Chelsea. Or even Grealish at first under Pep. Not comparing them as players but I think there is something to that learning of a different role/perspective and then the question is can the player step back up. Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I was reading some of Ollie comments about himself and Buendia and the specific instructions that Unai gives them. I assume similar is true for Ramsey. Previously we would love seeing him pick up the ball and run 40 yards with it. Under Unai i assume he has some very specific instructions about where he picks up and releases the ball, where he needs to be positioned defensively. Ultimately these instructions will be aimed at improving the team but may in the short term limit Ramseys natural game. 

I dont think hes playing badly, we just dont need one individual to carry us 50 yards on their own anymore.

Exactly this.

Another example...McGinn was clearly told to stop the Hollywood balls. They rarely came off, but if they did we would fairly often score from them.

The effect is we miss out on McGinns pne goal creating action in a blue moon, but we have the ball more, we lose possession less, the opposition get fewer opportunities to create chances themselves from a quick turnover, and we build our own chances indirectly from McGinn retaining possession.

The same is true for Ramsey, and while we're consistently scoring from open play, I'm not sure it matters who's scoring them or how they're being scored/ created. The system Emery has implemented is working, and when Ramsey gets accustomed to it he'll still be able to take a chance from the edge of the area when it comes his way, it just won't be one he's created himself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Exactly this.

Another example...McGinn was clearly told to stop the Hollywood balls. They rarely came off, but if they did we would fairly often score from them.

The effect is we miss out on McGinns pne goal creating action in a blue moon, but we have the ball more, we lose possession less, the opposition get fewer opportunities to create chances themselves from a quick turnover, and we build our own chances indirectly from McGinn retaining possession.

The same is true for Ramsey, and while we're consistently scoring from open play, I'm not sure it matters who's scoring them or how they're being scored/ created. The system Emery has implemented is working, and when Ramsey gets accustomed to it he'll still be able to take a chance from the edge of the area when it comes his way, it just won't be one he's created himself. 

yes, focus on the team not individuals. 

Everything ive seen about Ramsey suggests to me that he will learn well and work hard. Ive no reason to think he wont be brilliant under Emery. 

On 13/03/2023 at 14:37, gwi1890 said:

I get it Ramsey’s the new McGinn 

Literally the first time I've criticised ramsey in months. He's a really good talent and I think he has a lot of of good attributes however last game he was switched off far too many times when he easily could have received the ball and that led to our other players losing the ball as they attempted to pass to him and he ignored it. 

He hasn't regressed he's just doing what 95% of young players do, be inconsistent. I'd say although going forward he's not been as effective he's really improved the defensive side of his game. 

He's still developing and hopefully he will grow into consistently performing both sides of the game well. If he does we have a fantastic young player. 

• Like 3

On 14/03/2023 at 20:39, VillaAlex said:

He hasn't regressed he's just doing what 95% of young players do, be inconsistent.

Not that simple tbh. He has a couple of weaknesses in his game that will limit him, unless he can sort them out. Still a decent player no doubt.

On 14/03/2023 at 06:30, LondonLax said:

He looked much more effective in Dean Smith’s system than with Emery. One of the few players to have regressed. Hopefully he can keep working with the manager and find his fit. 

His best games actually came under Gerrard.

So as another poster has said, this is probably an oversimplication.

As a matter of fact, one of his best runs and goal was against Deanos Norwich.

I don't want to say his name buts it's like JG he excelled in a system for us. He went to Man City and struggled but slowly he is being moulded into the player Guardiola wants.

Same with JJ his role has changed, he had to adapt, his defensive actions statistically have been some of the best in the league. His link up play has also improved, albeit he still doesn't get on the ball enough. His qualities of ball carrying have become more limited as there is less space, we are becoming a more possession based side.

In games such as the Man Utd home game he excelled as the space was still there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I don't want to say his name buts it's like JG he excelled in a system for us. He went to Man City and struggled but slowly he is being moulded into the player Guardiola wants.

Same with JJ his role has changed, he had to adapt, his defensive actions statistically have been some of the best in the league. His link up play has also improved, albeit he still doesn't get on the ball enough. His qualities of ball carrying have become more limited as there is less space, we are becoming a more possession based side.

In games such as the Man Utd home game he excelled as the space was still there. 

I've been saying exactly the same!

Â