Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

14 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

He only signed a 4.5yr deal last February. Fantastic for him and great for the club that both sides were keen to get back to the table so quickly on a new deal.

Shows the faith in him and I assume pays him like his meteoric improvement this year deserves. Hopefully he keeps pushing and developing - he has done since his last contract so no reason to believe he stops now.

Starting to see the long term plan:

2027: Martinez, Ramsey, Iroegbunam, Cash

2026: Buendia, Konsa (+1yr Option), Kesler, Digne

Everyone else at risk this summer or next imo

Archer may be another for a lengthy contract. I admire him very much, and he seems to have come from nowhere.

On 27/04/2022 at 01:50, sheepyvillian said:

Scholes was full of it. He hasn't stopped yapping since he retired. 

Also, Jacobs has a slight speech impediment. 

Ah, didn't realise that.

Fair play to him then, for interviews must be very difficult.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'd prefer if he was Coutinho's if I'm honest. Not saying McGinn should be starting either. I just think JJ's strengths lie further up the pitch, and to have him as a sitting midfielder allowing full backs to bomb on is a waste of his talents. Also his fondness for getting forward leaves us vulnerable in midfield sometimes.

I hear what you’re saying and it’s a good theory but for me I prefer it when JJ gets the ball and carries it 20/30 yards up the field. I don’t think he’ll get as much joy doing it from the number 10 position. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Thought Ramsey had a good game today. The way he drives with the ball in and around the box is a sight to behold. He gets quicker with the ball at his feet!

He’s getting better and better at it. It’s weird, everytime he starts those runs, I’m thinking he should probably pass it as he’s going nowhere and then he just gets faster and faster and usually gets into a dangerous position. 

He’s becoming a really good player. I think next season could be huge for him if Gerrard builds around him. 

I think his general play goes somewhat unheralded, so many times I will see him receive the ball in awkward situations where it would be easy to give the ball away or to pass to another player who would also be in a awkward situation, but he always, or mostly always seems to find the right pass or to be able to make space for himself, and in situations when a lot of our other players in the same situation wouldn't be capable of doing as well; as much as it's a big part of his game, it's not just about goals and driving runs with him, his general basic play is very good also, makes it look so easy, that it sometimes goes unnoticed.

At the start of the season I thought he had done well last season, but thought eventually and maybe over the course of this season Chukwuemeka would overtake him, but Jacob has come on so much, that Chukwuemeka would be doing incredibly well to match Ramsey's current level, not just Chukwuemeka, but Aaron and Tommi O'Reilly as well, and not saying those younger players can't or won't but Ramsey this season has set an higher standard for our younger players to follow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I thought he was close to MOTM yesterday.

The chance just before Ings goal would have capped things off very nicely. 

A breakout season for sure, he needs work harder again in the summer though because he needs to get better again next year not level off. Kids got it all to be a big player just prey he keeps grounded and injury free. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s getting better and better at it. It’s weird, everytime he starts those runs, I’m thinking he should probably pass it as he’s going nowhere and then he just gets faster and faster and usually gets into a dangerous position. 

He’s becoming a really good player. I think next season could be huge for him if Gerrard builds around him. 

I know what you mean first paragraph here - I think the same and then he just seems to hit that last point and be through on goal… if he can finish a higher percentage from those positions with a bit more experience his ceiling will be very high indeed.

Looking stronger and stronger with each game . That run he made when the Norwich player literally bounced off him and went flying shows what he is turning into. An absolute beast athletically. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Looking stronger and stronger with each game . That run he made when the Norwich player literally bounced off him and went flying shows what he is turning into. An absolute beast athletically.

Those boxing genes!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, useless said:

I think his general play goes somewhat unheralded, so many times I will see him receive the ball in awkward situations where it would be easy to give the ball away or to pass to another player who would also be in a awkward situation, but he always, or mostly always seems to find the right pass or to be able to make space for himself, and in situations when a lot of our other players in the same situation wouldn't be capable of doing as well; as much as it's a big part of his game, it's not just about goals and driving runs with him, his general basic play is very good also, makes it look so easy, that it sometimes goes unnoticed.

At the start of the season I thought he had done well last season, but thought eventually and maybe over the course of this season Chukwuemeka would overtake him, but Jacob has come on so much, that Chukwuemeka would be doing incredibly well to match Ramsey's current level, not just Chukwuemeka, but Aaron and Tommi O'Reilly as well, and not saying those younger players can't or won't but Ramsey this season has set an higher standard for our younger players to follow.

Tell you what I have noticed him doing closing down lines of passes really well when pressing.

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Could he play on the left of a front 3/4?

Hopefully, I think pushing him further forward and adding a more solid midfielder behind him would benefit the team massively. It frees him up to get forward more and frees him of the defensive role which I think he is not very good at. A lot of the opposition's breaks occur on our left side because JJ has this natural tendency to get forward and gets caught out of position. Pushing him further forward would also make us better at pressing. He's good at pressing however is often caught out of position as one of the 8's in this formation.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 16:17, Delphinho123 said:

An insightful post and one I agree with. Especially on the Jack points. 

The one thing I've said about Ramsey since the beginning is, he has all the tools and I think that's what clubs look at in players they're developing. Ramsey isn't amazing at any one thing but he is very good (for his age) at a lot. He's a decent passer, has a good touch, can score, he's very good at running with the ball, can finish and probably his most underrated trait - he's a f***** beast of an athlete. I remember reading in pre-season that he won the bleep test thing? Don't think Cash was far behind. 

In terms of his ceiling, when you have no qualms about the physique and athleticism in a player at his age and they have so many good attributes, the ceiling is so, so high. 

I agree.

Will be a great player for us, but still has things to improve on for me...but thats par for the course.

54 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Great to see him blossoming, but given his age feel SG could manage his minutes better by allocating some of it to the likes of Buendia, Sanson, Carney, etc. 

Exactly this. Playing him every game will continue to show his inconsistency. He will play better if he isn't guaranteed the start.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Exactly this. Playing him every game will continue to show his inconsistency. He will play better if he isn't guaranteed the start.

Inconsistency comes from a lack of experience - he needs games to become more consistent. With little left to play for in the league, I think he should be starting every game if fit. 

• Like 1

Â