In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

Are there any dentists lurking on here? I'm hoping to get some advice as I've just switched practices and had my new patient inspection and I don't know if my new dentist is taking the p*ss or if my old dentist hadn't been looking after me properly. 

The new one looked me over and did some XRays and apparently I need seven fillings at a cost of £1200 (not an NHS dentist to be seen anywhere so had to go private). 

My teeth feel fine to me and I've got no pain etc. I feel surely I'd know if I needed seven fillings.

14 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Are there any dentists lurking on here? I'm hoping to get some advice as I've just switched practices and had my new patient inspection and I don't know if my new dentist is taking the p*ss or if my old dentist hadn't been looking after me properly. 

The new one looked me over and did some XRays and apparently I need seven fillings at a cost of £1200 (not an NHS dentist to be seen anywhere so had to go private). 

My teeth feel fine to me and I've got no pain etc. I feel surely I'd know if I needed seven fillings.

I had a similar experience, but fortunately in reverse. Some years ago I had an NHS dentist. Went for my annual checkup and he said a had a badly cracked molar that would require some major work, book an appointment with the receptionist on the way out. She informed me that, oh by the way, we're going private. My reply was that in that case I'll take my business elsewhere. Found another dentist (admittedly also private). Had an initial examination, and his assessement was... nothing needed doing. Really? No cracked molar? Nope. First guy was clearly a shyster. 

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We've lost a couple of grandparents in the last month. It's no great tragedy, they were both north of 90, lived long and happy lives, got to see their great grandkids be born, and the family have happy memories of them. Both of them had dementia so in many ways it was a mercy to finally have them at rest.

It's been my first real experience of how we treat those written off and left to die. Investigations and and kind of work towards trying to save them was written off, and that's absolutely fine, they were pushing 100, they can't go on forever, but from that point, there was barely even any effort to keep them from suffering. 

Every time we visited, they'd be screaming in pain and we'd have to fight for pain relief. On one occasion they'd not even bothered to inform the palliative care team about the patient. As much as family tried to be there to keep them company and look after them, they were just left there to die in pain, forced to prolong an absolutely pointless existence in agony due to people's squeamishness when it comes to talking about the right to die. They didn't know who they were, where they were, or who these people were who kept coming to visit them, but they were forced to just keep on going, aware of nothing except for how much things hurt.

A pet owner would be considered guilty of an absolutely disgusting level of cruelty if leaving a dog or a cat in this position, but this is how the government thinks we ought to go out if we live long enough to die of old age.

Euthanasia should be a human right, and after seeing what it's like to be forced to endure life to the bitter end I hope I have enough of my marbles left to end it quickly if I start down that road.

With you on the euthanasia thing. Sounds like a horrible end for them both, quite lacking in dignity. 

Tangentially, there was a study done by an Italian chap (begins with Z - Zanetti?) which looked at the placebo response for pain relief, but used people who had dementia. He found that dementia patients needed significantly more pain relief (like x5) to relieve the pain, compared to patients workout dementia. The conclusion was that a big chunk of pain relief is placebo. I sort of take a little issue with the conclusions, but I wonder how our healthcare takes this into account. I assume, not at all. "That's too much, I'm gong to get sued" kind of thing. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2023 at 19:33, drat01 said:

Hi Dem - I am still here mate. Hope you are doing well. As TonyH says I am fighting Prostate Cancer - Stage4 so its not a good one (Gents go get tested - Ladies get your men tested). Still a season ticket holder at Villa so if anyone sees me down there feel free to say hello. The shit jokes still come out mainly on Twitter (ianMSanders) - anyway have fun all. UTV, live life, enjoy life ....

All the best ian im so sorry to hear this pal😥

Keep fighting brother 💪 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hernia operations...anyone had one and how long was the recovery time?

looks like i need one :( never had any form of operation before so i'm shitting it...even though it's about as routine as they come

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

looks like i need one :( never had any form of operation before so i'm shitting it...even though it's about as routine as they come

I've had two.

First was with standard surgery and the first couple of days were pretty painful but nothing a nice dose of Cocodomol couldn't shift 😉. I've still got quite a bit of scarring as it was a large tear that was repaired but nothing that bothers me tbh.

Second was keyhole surgery (which I believe is standard now) and was MUCH less hassle, no noticeable scarring and less painful from recovery POV.

You'll be fine and dandy 👍

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've had two.

First was with standard surgery and the first couple of days were pretty painful but nothing a nice dose of Cocodomol couldn't shift 😉. I've still got quite a bit of scarring as it was a large tear that was repaired but nothing that bothers me tbh.

Second was keyhole surgery (which I believe is standard now) and was MUCH less hassle, no noticeable scarring and less painful from recovery POV.

You'll be fine and dandy 👍

cheers - yeah the doc said it was likely going to be keyhole. glad to hear it's not too bad!

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

cheers - yeah the doc said it was likely going to be keyhole. glad to hear it's not too bad!

Depends on who your surgeon is....

MV5BYTJhOTBkZWMtNTEwMy00NmU3LWFiNGEtMDMwNjlhOWQ5N2JiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

If it’s keyhole, you’re likely not even in overnight. 

It could be nothing for breakfast, in early, promise you had nothing for breakfast, operation late morning. Keep you knocking around for a few hours to make sure nothing weird happens and then home for tea.

A bit sore but after a few days you’ll have to be reminding yourself you’re not supposed to do anything too energetic for a while.

Had mine about 10 years ago and when talking hospital top trumps recently, I’d genuinely forgotten all about it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If it’s keyhole, you’re likely not even in overnight. 

It could be nothing for breakfast, in early, promise you had nothing for breakfast, operation late morning. Keep you knocking around for a few hours to make sure nothing weird happens and then home for tea.

A bit sore but after a few days you’ll have to be reminding yourself you’re not supposed to do anything too energetic for a while.

Had mine about 10 years ago and when talking hospital top trumps recently, I’d genuinely forgotten all about it.

Yep. I had the same experience when I had my gall bladder out. Keyhole, nothing to it. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, hogso said:

7 weeks ago I was really ill, quite suddenly, over the weekend. Symptoms of a fever, hot and cold spells, high temperature. I put it down to Covid initially. 

Shortly after that I had a lot of trouble urinating, and when I did it was really smelly and cloudy. GP diagnosed me with a Urinary Tract Infection following urine test showing positive for infection, 1 week of antibiotics. 

2-3 days after that course, symptoms came back. GP gives me the same prescription for another week, but this time sends me for bloods. Bloods are done, everything checked comes back as within normal levels. 

During this time I've started to have pain in my back, sides (kidneys), testicles, thighs, although the UTI symptoms themselves have lessened. The worst thing really is having to get up during the night 2-3 times to urinate which is ruining my nights, bear in mind I also have a 3 year old. 

2-3 days after the next course ends, symptoms return. This time the GP diagnoses me with epididymitis aka. poorly bollock tube. Different antibiotics, and this time, 2 week course. 

These antibiotics have almost no effect on symptoms it seems, and once the course is finished, my back pain in particular has gotten notably worse. 

Fourth GP does a prostate exam and explains one side is enlarged, refers me for the Prostate Serum Antigen blood test, as well as getting me an urgent referral to Urology at the hospital.

PSA test comes back as slightly raised which may be down the infection I have (or have had) but below levels for concern. 

Consultant at urology does a prostate exam and says he's not concerned about cancer with that alongside the PSA result. However, he is concerned about the recurring infection which he suggests should be impossible for a male of my age. 

So I now have lined up, or will have lined up...an MRI scan, urine flow test, bladder retention test, camera up the wazoo to check my urinary tract test, semen culture test, oh and for me and missus to have STI tests too. 

I've never had a hospital admission, broke a bone, and I've been to the GP more times in the last 7 weeks than in the last 20+ years, so it all seems a bit mad. 

Unfortunately symptoms of prostatitis and a benign enlarged prostate or prostate cancer are all very similar, although the former appears to be the most likely explanation at the moment...although that's an issue far more common in 60+ years olds (I'm 37). Plus, I've already had 2 weeks of the most likely antibiotics to treat that with little improvement. 

So, it probably isn't cancer, but could be, but probably isn't. Dunno. I note that @drat01 advises the chaps to go and get checked out, the prostate exam isn't really that bad. I was geared up for having to have one, but I was sick and tired of feeling...well, sick and tired by that point, so was and remain more than happy to do whatever the heck they want to figure out what's going on. 

Name the Final Fantasy thread after me x 

I had issues with my prostate and uti in my 30s, I have had it examined a few times and glad I have done. Yes its embarrassing but its not a forklift driver doing it, its a doctor and he aint nudging his mates and giggling.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hogso said:

So I an MRI scan, urine flow test, bladder retention test, camera up the wazoo to check my urinary tract test, semen culture test, oh and for me and missus to have STI testnow have lined up, or will have lined up...

Firstly, I hope you're ok and it's nothing to worry about. As a regular hospital visitor I'd recommend you take a blindfold or eye cover for the MRI, and choose gas and air for the camera. I'm not claustrophobic but I can't do an MRI without my eyes covered. It really freaks me out. The gas and air is great too, you're totally at peace when they do the camera. I've had loads of them over the years, it's over before you know it. First few times I held the nurses hand and they'd help me through it.

• Like 1

I've had a camera up the old poop chute. Those Polaroids have sharp edges.

Seriously, it wasn't that bad. Have the sedation though, they just give you a bit of gas and you kind of space out while they fiddle with your anus. As I went private they even gave me a cuppa and a round of toast after. I hope they washed their hands first. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've had a camera up the old poop chute. Those Polaroids have sharp edges.

Seriously, it wasn't that bad. Have the sedation though, they just give you a bit of gas and you kind of space out while they fiddle with your anus. As I went private they even gave me a cuppa and a round of toast after. I hope they washed their hands first. 

was this for a medical condition or private personal request preference 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â