In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

Just over 14 hours in the hospital today and about 4 yesterday. 

Extreme viral infection affecting his upper chest and throat causing high temperatures and seizures.

No idea how some of you have spent literally months in and out of hospital with your little ones.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

He's just been moved to a different department and I've been sent home as only one parent allowed in at a time.

Is that still some kind of Covid thing? If so then it’s ridiculous.

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Is that still some kind of Covid thing? If so then it’s ridiculous.

It wasnt in place in other areas so i dont think so. We were in Pediatrics and they said it was due to limited space, which was nonsense as there was more space than in places like A&E.

I think it's because it's a secure ward where you have to get buzzed in and out.

• Like 1

Our son had another fit/seizure (not caused by high temperatures this time) early on Monday morning and has been back in hospital since.

Got discharged about an hour ago and so glad to be home.

Dr's are a bit confused why he's having them as he has a mix of symptoms and there's not a definite pattern to them all.

You could tell how thinly stretched they all are but you can't fault them. All really good with him and very caring.

• Like 1

Commercial determinants of health: future directions

Lancet published paper into the relationship between the commercial sector and the provision of healthcare that people might find interesting.

(You can only read the thing for free if you register with the website)

evidence shows that progressive economic models, international frameworks, government regulation, compliance mechanisms for commercial entities, regenerative business types and models that incorporate health, social, and environmental goals, and strategic civil society mobilisation together offer possibilities of systemic, transformative change, reduce those harms arising from commercial forces, and foster human and planetary wellbeing.

TL:DR

Complex model by a bunch of nerds reckons prioritising health over profits might be the way forward for the humans

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well that ain't gonna happen. 

perhaps not, perhaps it's a clumsy paraphrase. The report does state (although I'm only half way through reading it myself atm) that it is not anti business, but it is pro health. and it's pretty undeniable that at times the interests of some corporations are diametrically opposed to the provision of healthcare (especially in countries where public healthcare is the thing like the NHS). Easy example being the tobacco industry. Where we can see the link between fags and lung cancer. But rather than focus on single products or individual companies like the majority of research so far into CDOH have done (Which have arguably led to policy that puts 'health over profits' in the realm of tobacco, alcohol and ultra-processed foods) it's a rather bold attempt at looking at the global provision of healthcare, the health of individuals and the cost in doing what we are doing. In a world where through charity or governments etc the society can be in a position of 'paying' 3 times over for companies to profit. throwing money at companies for research that yields treatments we then buy from the companies and then pick up the pieces in the form of paying for the healthcare of those impacted by the company's actions. So an ever increasing burden on the public and the only responsibility of the company's is to the profit. And the paper suggests this is an unsustainable model. And in the example of the tobacco industry history shows us it's more than just fags causing lung cancer when discussing the industry's tactics to make profit weighed up against the cost for society as a whole (and on a global level) so what cost to the scientific process that it hijacked the peer reviewed process by funding counter narrative research or outright bribe african governments or indeed spend millions lobbying governments for favourable legislature?

I haven't got to the 3rd bit about suggestions for the future I'm about halfway through bit 2 which is like treacle. But a much easier read than part 1 - definitions! But it's the sort of research the WHO seems increasingly interested in and we'll probably see a lot more of in the coming years imo.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone got experience of dealing with a parent showing early symptoms of dementia?

Pretty mild at the moment, but been going on for a year or two now, and he's stubbornly refusing to see a doctor about it. He definitely has his own concerns about it but won't admit it directly. How do you persuade someone to speak to a doctor about it?

• 4 weeks later...

This may be purely anecdotal but bowel cancer.  It appears to be absolutely everywhere and particularly striking down the young.

Almost got me wandering if there's something in the water.

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

This may be purely anecdotal but bowel cancer.  It appears to be absolutely everywhere and particularly striking down the young. 

Yet they don't offer routine testing until you're over 60 (although I believe it's planned to go down to 50). 

Eat your five a day (no, I don't, btw). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 21:58, KentVillan said:

Anyone got experience of dealing with a parent showing early symptoms of dementia?

Pretty mild at the moment, but been going on for a year or two now, and he's stubbornly refusing to see a doctor about it. He definitely has his own concerns about it but won't admit it directly. How do you persuade someone to speak to a doctor about it?

Only just seen this and hope things are going okay.

My mother in law has dementia and it took ages to get her to agree to go and be tested.

In the end it took her kid's sitting her down and saying how concerned they both were and begging her to get tested.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Well it's defintely topical for me as my Dad has just been told he has a growth. As well as one in the bile duct which appears separate rather than secondary. Not confirmed they're cancer but pretty likely. Bastard Cancer!

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Processed red meat is apparently linked to it. Obviously in moderation is ok only if your having a high diet in it.

I can only go on my personal experience but years ago i got PR bleeding from back passage and i use to eat alot of bacon and processed meat like sausages. Doctor advised to  cut down or eliminate which i did and touch wood havent had it again since

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Processed red meat is apparently linked to it. Obviously in moderation is ok only if your having a high diet in it.

I can only go on my personal experience but years ago i got PR bleeding from back passage and i use to eat alot of bacon and processed meat like sausages. Doctor advised to  cut down or eliminate which i did and touch wood havent had it again since

It must depend on a persons constituon because I eat meat "every single day"d and I dont have it ( touch wood )

• Like 1

On 01/07/2023 at 21:58, KentVillan said:

I'm sorry. It's a difficult watch.

As Rds said above,  if you've got level headed siblings? Come to an accord on what to do in the short term, and have a think on who gets power of attorney?

Dad lost his short term memory after a couple of mini strokes. He didn't take much persuading when me, my Sis and our partners sat him down. Our partners being a business man my Dad respected, and a community nurse that told him the services they'd get in the system. It was a good team. Dad was reassured about the present and what the future would bring. He'd forget details, but did remember it was all in hand.

Get the diagnosis and it opens doors to services. Dementia needs monitored because if it slips it should be picked up and care reassessed?

My Folks got a couple more years of gently assisted independence before their misadventures were getting the emergency services involved.

Good carrot that. Get a bit of help, keep it together, stay at home.

On power of attorney, the more finance/legal stuff is involved with your Dad's estate? Say pensions, investments and property, the more you need that sorted.

We have friends in a similar situation that didn't broach the subject with the Mum.

A couple of simple, but pressing issues are requiring a small mountain of bureaucratic bullshit.

It's hard enough a time emotionally anyway, you just don't need that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It must depend on a persons constituon because I eat meat "every single day"d and I dont have it ( touch wood )

I eat meat every day too mate but as i said its the type of meat you consume.

I tend to go organic with red meat tbh.

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

I'm sorry. It's a difficult watch.

As Rds said above,  if you've got level headed siblings? Come to an accord on what to do in the short term, and have a think on who gets power of attorney?

Dad lost his short term memory after a couple of mini strokes. He didn't take much persuading when me, my Sis and our partners sat him down. Our partners being a business man my Dad respected, and a community nurse that told him the services they'd get in the system. It was a good team. Dad was reassured about the present and what the future would bring. He'd forget details, but did remember it was all in hand.

Get the diagnosis and it opens doors to services. Dementia needs monitored because if it slips it should be picked up and care reassessed?

My Folks got a couple more years of gently assisted independence before their misadventures were getting the emergency services involved.

Good carrot that. Get a bit of help, keep it together, stay at home.

On power of attorney, the more finance/legal stuff is involved with your Dad's estate? Say pensions, investments and property, the more you need that sorted.

We have friends in a similar situation that didn't broach the subject with the Mum.

A couple of simple, but pressing issues are requiring a small mountain of bureaucratic bullshit.

It's hard enough a time emotionally anyway, you just don't need that.

It runs in my family and ive experienced with grand parents.  Its a absolutely horrible and heart breaking disease 

If i get it id rather be dead

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Thank you @Rds1983and @Xann for two nice posts, will have a think and discuss with family. Appreciate the thoughts. What you both say makes a lot of sense. Cheers 👍

Good luck. 

Whatever happens remember you're not alone.in going through all this. You have family with you and there's people on here that can sympathise and support. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have let myself go, purely because I wanted to, eating what I like, drinking regularly, not much exercise outside of the dog walk twice a day. I put on weight and for the most part I was OK with that. Fat and happy etc. I stress, I am fat. Not in the way some of the posters here say I put 8 lbs on since Christmas and I am a right bloater. I am 5ft 11, and nudging 19stone. I am fat.

I have suffered with gout for quite a number of years so went to the doctor to see what could be done preventatively about it. I had my blood taken and then had the results, went in today and basically I am a wreck. I have gout so they have prescribed life long medication for that, I am also Pre Diabetic prediabetic (for searches) so that needs to be addressed, and when they took my blood pressure, it was through the roof. So now I am having 7 days BP monitoring.

I know all of this can be remedied with lifestyle changes, I have no urge to go back to the running, and dieting I was obsessively doing years ago, but need to make some significant changes now.

• Sad 4

Â