In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

56 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

My advice to your wife is, go and get tested as early as possible.  My wife's grandad was given medication and it slowed the process down.

Obviously this is dependent on whether your wife may have it or not, and what type! 

I understand that she will be terrified, but it'll be worth it for you both, either way. 

Yeah, she has a general health check due quite soon, and plans to mention it. 

If she remembers, that is...  :)

• Like 2

I think dementia is so prevalent these days it touches as many peoples lives as cancer. My nan had it, for a good 8 years or so. As others have said, they die twice. The point you lose each other and then when they actually die. I visited my nan in a care home all the time, but I got no pleasure out of it, she wasnt my nan and I was a stranger to her. It's horrible, but I do know she had the best possible care during her final years.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Can confirm that story, actually. Good times, good times ☺️

I’m sorry to hear it, buddy. I hope your mother in law and your family get all the very best available help. 

Didn't know that 87 year old ladies were your type bud. 😂

I think it must have been a flashback to WW2 or something as she met my Grandad shortly afterwards. I'm just glad she had a moment of happiness in the midst of all of it, even if it wasnt real.

• Like 1

Wondering if any of you have had a similar experience to me when awaiting results from the NHS.

I noticed one of my biceps was abnormally larger than the other. Once I’d exhausted all the jokes about it being my overused dominant arm (insert KW picture) I went to the Doctors before Christmas who referred me for an urgent MRI. I had this relatively quickly but wasn’t made aware of the results until the end of January due to an error in processing and was told that one department hadn’t handed the case over to the consultant properly through their “pathway” system, hence the delay. I was referred to the Oncology hospital on the Bristol Road for a biopsy, which I had three weeks ago today, as they have found a 17cm in diameter tumour on the right bicep. I’ve been chasing every day this week to be told the results still aren’t available and even when they are, will only be available once it’s been discussed at a weekly Tuesday consultant’s meeting.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, how would you interpret the delays in experiencing? 

• Shocked 2

2 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Wondering if any of you have had a similar experience to me when awaiting results from the NHS.

I noticed one of my biceps was abnormally larger than the other. Once I’d exhausted all the jokes about it being my overused dominant arm (insert KW picture) I went to the Doctors before Christmas who referred me for an urgent MRI. I had this relatively quickly but wasn’t made aware of the results until the end of January due to an error in processing and was told that one department hadn’t handed the case over to the consultant properly through their “pathway” system, hence the delay. I was referred to the Oncology hospital on the Bristol Road for a biopsy, which I had three weeks ago today, as they have found a 17cm in diameter tumour on the right bicep. I’ve been chasing every day this week to be told the results still aren’t available and even when they are, will only be available once it’s been discussed at a weekly Tuesday consultant’s meeting.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, how would you interpret the delays in experiencing? 

No experience but that's not great is it?

Hopefully it'll be a benign comedy lump like the kneecap on top of your Old Fella's shoulder ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I’ve no insight to offer other than that I had an MRI and a camera up the bum in November and I’m still awaiting an update. 
If I was actually worried about it, I’d be chasing but during both appointments I was told there was nothing to worry about. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

No experience but that's not great is it?

Hopefully it'll be a benign comedy lump like the kneecap on top of your Old Fella's shoulder ;)

That was actually my first thought 😂 the old man never had a biopsy though so I’m worried it’s more serious but who knows until these lot get back to me! Hopefully just ends up being a benign cream egg like thing, similar to his 😂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, choffer said:

I’ve no insight to offer other than that I had an MRI and a camera up the bum in November and I’m still awaiting an update. 
If I was actually worried about it, I’d be chasing but during both appointments I was told there was nothing to worry about. 

I suppose no news is good news in both cases mate! Been chasing every day but still no updates 😩

13 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

I suppose no news is good news in both cases mate! Been chasing every day but still no updates 😩

Crossing my fingers for positive news for you, Ted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back in hospital for the 3rd time in 4 months.

The lad had Strep A in December.

I messed up all the ligaments in my foot in February. 

He's collapsed at school today, then had a fit and a temperature of 39.8c. 

Been here about 90 minutes already and he's now absolutely fine. Got another 90 minutes wait to see a Dr though to check he's actually okay.

So angry with what the Tories have done to the NHS.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Been here about 90 minutes already and he's now absolutely fine. Got another 90 minutes wait to see a Dr though to check he's actually okay.

I'm really sorry to hear that.  Wishing you and your lad all of the best.  

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2023 at 14:19, SuperTed said:

So, did you hear anything Mr Lumpy? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Hope you and your nipper are both feeling better soon mate. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trekka said:

I thought I would chip in with my current and recent experience with the NHS.  As I've posted before, my Mother was diagnosed with lung cancer.  She was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to be part of an immunotherapy trial.  She was absolutely given the best care available and even the doctors said she is on the "gold-plated treatment" owing to her being given much more expensive chemotherapy as part of the trial. It was tough - at one point her doctor ("The Professor") took her off the expensive chemo as he said "you don't look well at all".  She wasn't - she had been in bed all week and barely got out of it unless she needed to walk slowly to the bathroom to be sick.  At that point they were questioning whether the chemo should be continued at all and if the whole treatment should be stopped whilst she recovered.  They didn't and she did.  I dread to think what might have happened if they halted treatment. We now count our blessings every day for what the NHS has achieved with her but I am so very sorry for those who were not as fortunate to be given the opportunity.  She is now completely cancer free and has been for years after the tumour shrunk by huge amounts enabling them to take it away surgically. 

My Dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year.  He wouldn't have known had it not been for the care and attention of the staff that day when he was admitted with a bad bout of pneumonia.  He tried his best to leave the hospital (on one occasion my Mother got a phone call telling her that he was packing his bags and was asking others to ring a taxi) but the doctors were adamant that he was very unwell.  They persuaded him eventually to stay and needed to stay in order to have fast-track scans that would have taken weeks (months?) otherwise.  In the end they couldn't operate due to his bad chest (COPD) and after numerous attempts to allow to him to have "Cyberknife" treatment, was told that unfortunately it isn't possible due to the tumour being so close to his bowel.  They tried everything - he went in for the Cyberknife four times to see if they could work out how to get a clear picture for the tech but the risk just wasn't acceptable.  It seems his kidney had a bit of movement and even after they tattooed him for the treatment points, they wasn't sure the risk was acceptable.  He then went in for continuous weekly scans whilst they worked out next steps and eventually they ordered in a custom belt to stabilise him enough for him to have standard radiotherapy (the giggling nurse my Mother spoke to every week was a joy - on the last call before he started his treatment she said "we've got it! I'm going to put it into a safe!").

I took my Dad for his last round of radiotherapy on Monday.  Now hoping for the best and hoping that his follow-up scan comes soon.  

Big thumbs up to the receptionist too who said "in the nicest possible terms, I don't want to see you again". 

Best to your Mom and Dad, mate!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

Hope you and your nipper are both feeling better soon mate. 

We were discharged about 7pm last night but he had another seizure at 5am after a bad night's sleep and has been back in since. 

He's just been moved to a different department and I've been sent home as only one parent allowed in at a time.

I'll swap back in later as he's likely in all day now.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Hope all goes well @Rds1983  - fingers crossed they get to the bottom of it!

So far they're saying it's not looking to serious and probably juvenile seizures linked to a virus he has at the moment. Keeping him in all day though to monitor and run tests.

We got there at 5.45am and my wife says he still hasn't seen a Dr yet (seen nurses etc). Not the hospitals fault as they're massively underfunded. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â