In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

• 2 months later...

@HanoiVillan you should post that in the election thread. In fact post it in every thread on VT to ensure everyone reads it.

It is frightening. The NHS isn't perfect and could be better. We need to enhance and improve what we have though not destroy it and go down the USA route which is a very real possibility under the Tories.

Some of us won't realise what we have with the NHS until we lose it.

• Like 3

On 31/08/2019 at 15:26, Michelsen said:

My mother has been diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. I’m devastated and feel completely lost. 

I’m also very thankful we live in a country where she’ll receive the best possible care and treatment without having to worry about the cost.

How's she doing?

• 2 years later...

At the risk of being accused of attention seeking or being OTT on a condition that isn't exactly life threatening....I have been told that the pain in my right knee is severe arthritis and after an mri scan the only treatment recommended is a total knee replacement. 

It potentially means a return to the same hospital I had my orchidectomy 6 years ago which ultimately fixed my testicular cancer.

Thing is, okay I am 56 and sat on my arse at a desk for nearly 40 years whilst being moderately active in sports and other physical activities. Diet is hit and miss....I just feel angry at myself for letting it get to this. I am told the surgery is well documented and the guy who may do it is an expert in his field - he told me he's done the same op on people 25 years younger than me - whilst I don't know too much about how arthritis develops I am sure my lifestyle hasn't helped.

If any younger VTers are reading this, then don't be a lazy word removed like me, but stay active and if so, take supplements like cod liver oil.

Apologies to those on here who are suffering with real issues and I wish you the very best. 

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Can anyone explain to me in laymans terms why the ambulance service is so shit? I'm thinking it all points towards the Tories, but anyway...

Last night my mother in law fell over at home and couldn't get up, not for the first time.

She is 90 and has terminal cancer, although nowhere near on her death-bed yet. Unfortunately for all concerned we are the nearest family, and that's 40 mile round trip, so at 10.55 pm last night we have to go for a little drive.

Friendly neighbours were already there when we arrived so me and the guy tried to lift the old dear, who was now in a sort of praying position on her knees, but she kept squaeling and saying it was too painful. At this point my wife phoned 999.

Ambulance service took all the details and said they'd get someone there when they could but it might be a bit of a wait.

50 minutes later I get the wife to call them again as no one had shown up. They took all the same details, this time saying "there are no ambulances available but we will do our best".

No ambulances? On a Monday night? It's not like they're all up town (mate) picking up the stab victims.

I waited another 40 minutes, still no help, so I manhandled her up from the floor on my own and we sat her in a chair. Gave her 20 minutes to calm down, then put her to bed. waited another 20 minutes, then called 999 to cancel the ambulance that obviously wasn't coming.

A 90 year old terminally ill patient, obviously not important enough. Sad state of affairs ain't it?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Can anyone explain to me in laymans terms why the ambulance service is so shit? I'm thinking it all points towards the Tories, but anyway...

Was talking with my brother about this last night as he is a paramedic. He says they're all raging about it as nothing is being done. I suspect they're not far off revolting and following the path already trod by rail workers, barristers and flight crew this year.

Basically, the hospitals are ram jam full so they go to pick up a 999 call and then have to queue up outside hospital admissions for hours on end to offload the poorly person. There's no less ambulances in circulation, they just can't offload their cargo to get themselves back available. That's why the government plan to exist St John's to help is only going to be a marginal help. It'll add capacity and help those who don't need admitted but they'll end up queuing outside A&E just as much as the existing ambulances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people stuck in hospital

Lots of people queuing up to get into hospital

Lots of people stuck in social care Limbo

Lots of staff leaving

Lots of people not entering the job as why the **** would you? 

Tories cost cutting, service closing, short mindedness and generally not giving a crap about staff or patients but only caring about the money. 

Birmingham has a million people. Our mental health services have halved since 2010. Not enough beds for the service users who need them. Ticking time bomb and a reason why there are hundreds or thousands of dangerous people being treated in the community when they should be in hospital.

What’s the one obvious constant since then until now? *cough* Tory Gov’t *cough*

They are a bunch of evil bastards but the people voted for them and thus get the health system they deserve. The NHS isn’t perfect but it’s had both its hands tied behind its back, both feet amputated, recovering from open heart surgery while having an ongoing lobotomy while being told to be efficient and world leading. 

Dont vote Tory. Wake up. 

Im sorry about your mom Rob but it’s not the health services fault. You can’t offer up £20 at a dealership and expect to receive a Ferrari. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

I guess whilst the NHS has been kept relatively free of spending cuts, it is more and more the last line of service as all of the secondary social care services have been hacked to pieces in the last 10 years. Coupled with an ageing population and millions of people living in housing that is not age suitable  then hey presto we are screwed.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Last night my mother in law fell over at home and couldn't get up, not for the first time.

She is 90 and has terminal cancer, although nowhere near on her death-bed yet. Unfortunately for all concerned we are the nearest family, and that's 40 mile round trip, so at 10.55 pm last night we have to go for a little drive.

Friendly neighbours were already there when we arrived so me and the guy tried to lift the old dear, who was now in a sort of praying position on her knees, but she kept squaeling and saying it was too painful. At this point my wife phoned 999.

Ambulance service took all the details and said they'd get someone there when they could but it might be a bit of a wait.

50 minutes later I get the wife to call them again as no one had shown up. They took all the same details, this time saying "there are no ambulances available but we will do our best".

No ambulances? On a Monday night? It's not like they're all up town (mate) picking up the stab victims.

I waited another 40 minutes, still no help, so I manhandled her up from the floor on my own and we sat her in a chair. Gave her 20 minutes to calm down, then put her to bed. waited another 20 minutes, then called 999 to cancel the ambulance that obviously wasn't coming.

A 90 year old terminally ill patient, obviously not important enough. Sad state of affairs ain't it?

Sorry to hear that, Rob.

We had similar last month with my 96 year old Grandad, my dad found him on the bathroom floor. He’d banged his head, was confused and was complaining that his arm and ribs were hurting, and was struggling to catch his breath.

They called for an ambulance at 6pm and it arrived at 3am. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Im sorry about your mom Rob but it’s not the health services fault. You can’t offer up £20 at a dealership and expect to receive a Ferrari. 

Mother in law but the same applies.

Â