In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have let myself go, purely because I wanted to, eating what I like, drinking regularly, not much exercise outside of the dog walk twice a day. I put on weight and for the most part I was OK with that. Fat and happy etc. I stress, I am fat. Not in the way some of the posters here say I put 8 lbs on since Christmas and I am a right bloater. I am 5ft 11, and nudging 19stone. I am fat.

I have suffered with gout for quite a number of years so went to the doctor to see what could be done preventatively about it. I had my blood taken and then had the results, went in today and basically I am a wreck. I have gout so they have prescribed life long medication for that, I am also Pre Diabetic prediabetic (for searches) so that needs to be addressed, and when they took my blood pressure, it was through the roof. So now I am having 7 days BP monitoring.

I know all of this can be remedied with lifestyle changes, I have no urge to go back to the running, and dieting I was obsessively doing years ago, but need to make some significant changes now.

Sounds very similar to me a couple of years ago. Infection (ignored) led to sepsis. All lifestyle-related, pre-diabetes, joint problems, picking up every bug doing the rounds. The good news is you don’t have to go hard at it to turn things around. I cut out most of the sugar, started doing a bit more exercise and cut back on the take-aways. Reversed the diabetes and although I’m still obese, I feel much better about my general level of health. With the relatively small amount of progress I’ve made, I’m actually enjoying eating more healthily and actually look forward to seeing my trainer. 
None of it is rocket science and the GP made me track everything with a coach through the Oviva app. I don’t think I learned anything I didn’t already know about my unhealthy lifestyle but it was helpful to have someone to hold me to account on the decisions I was making. 
Good luck with whatever you decide to do to tackle the issue. 

• Like 2

Diet is fairly simple, we eat 4 days out of 7 healthily, not processed, but if its pasta it has a cheese mountain and tear and share with it. So food is an easy win, the other 3 days of the week were either takeaways or curry, or burger. Again that can all be remedied. My alcohol intake needed looking at anyway. 3rd born child of alcoholics, so I know where this leads to.  I have however seriously reduced it from pandemic levels. I have a glass or two, of red wine a night and so that can be reduced.

As for the exercise, I have to think about that, dog walking is at a dog walking pace so I may need to look at additional options.

• Like 1

I’ve just walked 1400 steps to Greggs and back to my desk.

It’s 1400 more than I was doing for a while, and once I got there I bought a little pot of fruit for £1.20 instead of a steak bake.

Little things.

No idea what I weigh at the moment, I’m nowhere near my fattest, but I’m carrying a belly that should be got rid of. Alcohol is no problem, sometimes I might go a couple of weeks without anything, I stayed in a hotel on Monday evening and they gave me the usual couple of free beer tokens for being in their membership scheme. I didn’t bother cashing them in. My problem is food, I just genuinely like pretty much all food, I enjoy finding ingredients, I enjoy cooking, I defo enjoy eating.

In the covid times, I worked from home, due to the layout of my house I could walk a circular route whilst on teams calls or whilst thinking… I was doing a couple of kilometres a day (seriously, it knackered the carpet). Back in work and I’m back sat on my arse in the office or sat on my arse in the car, looking forward to getting home and trying that new Miso paste or homemade naan recipe.

I think it sounds similar to yourself, I know I can lose weight from here, it just doesn’t bloody interest me.

Hence the 1400 steps to Greggs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just walked 1400 steps to Greggs and back to my desk.

It’s 1400 more than I was doing for a while, and once I got there I bought a little pot of fruit for £1.20 instead of a steak bake.

Little things.

No idea what I weigh at the moment, I’m nowhere near my fattest, but I’m carrying a belly that should be got rid of. Alcohol is no problem, sometimes I might go a couple of weeks without anything, I stayed in a hotel on Monday evening and they gave me the usual couple of free beer tokens for being in their membership scheme. I didn’t bother cashing them in. My problem is food, I just genuinely like pretty much all food, I enjoy finding ingredients, I enjoy cooking, I defo enjoy eating.

In the covid times, I worked from home, due to the layout of my house I could walk a circular route whilst on teams calls or whilst thinking… I was doing a couple of kilometres a day (seriously, it knackered the carpet). Back in work and I’m back sat on my arse in the office or sat on my arse in the car, looking forward to getting home and trying that new Miso paste or homemade naan recipe.

I think it sounds similar to yourself, I know I can lose weight from here, it just doesn’t bloody interest me.

Hence the 1400 steps to Greggs.

I know I can lose weight from here, it just doesn’t bloody interest me.

That's the very issue I have, my mother has had 3 strokes, (steady boys) and is diabetic. I know that these warnings should be heeded, I will, that's a definite but it will be done begrudgingly.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That's the very issue I have, my mother has had 3 strokes, (steady boys) and is diabetic. I know that these warnings should be heeded, I will, that's a definite but it will be done begrudgingly.

It might sound a bit hokey but I kinda game-ified the process. I gave myself targets to beat and the sense of competition gave me an occasional push. 
I must confess though, at the time I had little interest in addressing the issues. I think the big push was seeing that I was causing worry to people I loved. That was enough for me to get moving, but then again I am an inveterate people-pleaser. 

• Like 2

I think I'm lucky in that I've always had very little appetite. Even though I prefer meat & dairy to fruit & veg, I'm happy with small portions, and I can skip meals without noticing. And I like exercise (well, walking and running, won't go near a smelly gym). Weight hardly varies, never goes above 11.5 stone. Good luck fellers. 

I’d say (like a few of you guys have said) start with the manageable things first, the key is motivation in these scenarios. 

I’ve found that if you can have access to a treadmill then walking but on an incline does as much (sometimes can be better) than just jogging/sprinting on the treadmill. Incline walking can be a killer but the rewards are quite good. If not then even walking your dog for an extended period (depending on your circumstances and your dogs circumstances). You don’t have to be doing anything too crazy for now, but as you become accustomed to things you’ll naturally increase your intensity levels. 

The hardest thing for most people is getting their diet 'right'. You can still enjoy the things you like but just in moderation (easier said than done). The biggest battle for most of us is with sugar.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’d say (like a few of you guys have said) start with the manageable things first, the key is motivation in these scenarios. 

I’ve found that if you can have access to a treadmill then walking but on an incline does as much (sometimes can be better) than just jogging/sprinting on the treadmill. Incline walking can be a killer but the rewards are quite good. If not then even walking your dog for an extended period (depending on your circumstances and your dogs circumstances). You don’t have to be doing anything too crazy for now, but as you become accustomed to things you’ll naturally increase your intensity levels. 

The hardest thing for most people is getting their diet 'right'. You can still enjoy the things you like but just in moderation (easier said than done). The biggest battle for most of us is with sugar.

An elliptical/cross trainer might be easier than a treadmill as there's less pressure on the joints due to reduced impact.

I'd also suggest using an app like Myfitnesspal to track the calories  consumed to help keep on track. Some foods can be deceptively calorific. 

Losing weight often gets overcomplicated but in general comes down to calories in vs calories out, or in other words, eat less and move more.

• Like 3

The incentive with exercise for me is how much better I feel. I cycle, an in the winter use a spin bike indoors. I'm not gonna say I do it everyday and am fit as a fiddle, but when I do get on it, it's noticeable, tiredness goes, stresses disappear,  just feel like I'm doing something, an in turn I'll eat healthier too, just makes me feel so much better, its like a drug.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

An elliptical/cross trainer might be easier than a treadmill as there's less pressure on the joints due to reduced impact.

I'd also suggest using an app like Myfitnesspal to track the calories  consumed to help keep on track. Some foods can be deceptively calorific. 

Losing weight often gets overcomplicated but in general comes down to calories in vs calories out, or in other words, eat less and move more.

Yep, in it’s most basic form its calories in / calories out.

Then you introduce real human life and I’m spending hours in the car, hours in meetings, hours at the desk, and the result is I’m only supposed to take in 47 calories. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Felt shit on Sunday, not just because of the football, tested positive Monday morning with Covid. Now all the family have it and none of us have moved out of bed pretty much for two days. Not sure if this is a different strain, but blimey, it’s knocked the crap out of us all. 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

😂😂😂 fair play TRO your my go to older Villa fan. Which is probably a little unfair and I should probably reference myself in that bracket now a days if I’m perfectly honest. As a keen Luddite I plead guilty to most charges!  Hope you’re keeping well these days mate?

UTV!!

I'm only teasing....yes fine thank you.

just finished my 3 year Prostate Cancer treatment, so keeping my fingers crossed, for the future.

If you haven't already done so, get your PSA ( blood test) checked Dave, its a silent killer that can be treated found early.....sorry for digressing.

Back on topic......

I hope this new guy can add some value....don't know much about him, but the owners must be impressed with him.

wonder if he is related to Bob Hatton.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

just finished my 3 year Prostate Cancer treatment, so keeping my fingers crossed, for the future.

If you haven't already done so, get your PSA ( blood test) checked Dave, its a silent killer that can be treated found early.....sorry for digressing.

I hope this new guy can add some value....don't know much about him, but the owners must be impressed with him.

Well done that’s great news. I had a stroke at the end of May, which was unexpected. It was a bleed on the brain and they say there was no permanent damage, it was only a mini stroke but it makes you think. I’m allowed to drive again and have started working again too. Although my wife along with some medical professionals say I started bsck too early. I work for myself and have a workshop at home so I guess I’m an habitual worker!  I just don’t feel right if I’m not working plus the government give me nothing and as a director of my own company they dsy I should claim sick pay off the company but if I’m not working the company doesn’t make any money. Either way working is what I’ve always done. Which is probably why I’m not rich enough to retire. We’re lucky enough thst my wife has a successful business thst also operates from home. Which gives me no sensible reason to keep working. But one of the common symptoms of a stroke is fatigue and the sensible people in my life, my wife and daughter plus the medical professionals all tell me that the only way to fight fatigue is resting. My usual modus operandi is if you have a problem eork harder but thst just doesn’t work under these circumstances. My poor wife gets very frustrated by me, but then again I’ve always been a frustrating bugger!  My father in law is in remition from blood cancer and is now a counsellor for MacMillon. Helping people along the journey he’s walked. He tells me I need to rest too and listen to my body, as well as listen to his daughter. There’s a chance that I may just be an idiot! I recently took up fishing but spent the last couple of days out in the hot sun and as Marion, my wife said just because I wasn’t working it would still be tiring. So I’ve been sent to bed. Not to chat on line about football though! I haven’t mentioned football so I may call you as a witness if she catches me!

• Thanks 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Well done that’s great news. I had a stroke at the end of May, which was unexpected. It was a bleed on the brain and they say there was no permanent damage, it was only a mini stroke but it makes you think. I’m allowed to drive again and have started working again too. Although my wife along with some medical professionals say I started bsck too early. I work for myself and have a workshop at home so I guess I’m an habitual worker!  I just don’t feel right if I’m not working plus the government give me nothing and as a director of my own company they dsy I should claim sick pay off the company but if I’m not working the company doesn’t make any money. Either way working is what I’ve always done. Which is probably why I’m not rich enough to retire. We’re lucky enough thst my wife has a successful business thst also operates from home. Which gives me no sensible reason to keep working. But one of the common symptoms of a stroke is fatigue and the sensible people in my life, my wife and daughter plus the medical professionals all tell me that the only way to fight fatigue is resting. My usual modus operandi is if you have a problem eork harder but thst just doesn’t work under these circumstances. My poor wife gets very frustrated by me, but then again I’ve always been a frustrating bugger!  My father in law is in remition from blood cancer and is now a counsellor for MacMillon. Helping people along the journey he’s walked. He tells me I need to rest too and listen to my body, as well as listen to his daughter. There’s a chance that I may just be an idiot! I recently took up fishing but spent the last couple of days out in the hot sun and as Marion, my wife said just because I wasn’t working it would still be tiring. So I’ve been sent to bed. Not to chat on line about football though! I haven’t mentioned football so I may call you as a witness if she catches me!

The only other practical steps I can take is to take my blood pressure tablets to lower my blood pressure which could do with being lower but isn’t dangerously high. I must listen more to my wife our daughter is just 9 so I have lots of incentive to live as long as possible. For both my wife and our lovely little girl. The twin loves of my life. You continue on your journey to full recovery. I don’t always agree with everything you say but you’re definitely one of the good guys. What’s your name? I always think of you as TRO! My name on Villa talk makes it a bit more obvious, I’ve no imagination!  UTV!!!!!!

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

The only other practical steps I can take is to take my blood pressure tablets to lower my blood pressure which could do with being lower but isn’t dangerously high. I must listen more to my wife our daughter is just 9 so I have lots of incentive to live as long as possible. For both my wife and our lovely little girl. The twin loves of my life. You continue on your journey to full recovery. I don’t always agree with everything you say but you’re definitely one of the good guys. What’s your name? I always think of you as TRO! My name on Villa talk makes it a bit more obvious, I’ve no imagination!  UTV!!!!!!

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Bob Hatton. Now you are showing your age 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Dave...Listen to your family, life is not a dressed rehearsal...by all means work, but take it easy and don't get stressed....don't feel guilty for taking it easy.

our age group and prior, have been indoctrinated in the "Protestant work ethic".....don't let it rule your valuable life.

back on topic....

Do you think Ben is related to Bob?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Paul....might change it to Paolo if we keep signing Spanish Players.

My wife doesn't either, but some of it, she does.....

I only say, what I think Dave....I don't write to be popular or for effect.

However, that doesn't make me right either......even the podcasters, always disclaim by saying its only their opinion.....after all thats all it can be.

It just tickles me sometimes though, when some disagree with everything I write. Its so predictable, its funny............None of us can be wrong all the time.

Edited by TRO

Â