In Sickness and in Health

mjmooney

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

but the Doctor today said she was going to test my  Pancras 

She sounds like a Saint. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I am well. I have had a headache for a month or so, not a bad one, just a bit of a headache. 2 weeks ago my eyes started itching and getting sore. Then the right side of my face, eyebrow to forehead became completely numb. So I had a trip to the dentist, opticians, GP and no issue was found. 111 suggested I go to A and E, which I did, blood checked and no issue found but referred to a neurologist. Today I have an appointment with my GP to discuss that referral. 3 days ago the left of my face went also completely numb and the eyes got itchier. At night it's almost impossible to sleep due to the feeling slightly of something dripping into my eyes and the moderate headaches. 

I think there is some kind of infection but no one has picked up on this and prescribed antibiotics. 

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I don't think I am well. I have had a headache for a month or so, not a bad one, just a bit of a headache. 2 weeks ago my eyes started itching and getting sore. Then the right side of my face, eyebrow to forehead became completely numb. So I had a trip to the dentist, opticians, GP and no issue was found. 111 suggested I go to A and E, which I did, blood checked and no issue found but referred to a neurologist. Today I have an appointment with my GP to discuss that referral. 3 days ago the left of my face went also completely numb and the eyes got itchier. At night it's almost impossible to sleep due to the feeling slightly of something dripping into my eyes and the moderate headaches. 

I think there is some kind of infection but no one has picked up on this and prescribed antibiotics. 

Face AIDS.

(Jeez, I'm going to feel bad if it turns out to be something serious). 

Get well soon, mate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Take it easy.

But persist with getting an answer beyond just getting used to it / living with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 05:36, Seat68 said:

This is still going on but worse. Completely numb face and head, mouth and tongue. No sense of taste and an ache in my arms and shoulders. I do have a CT scan on monday. My blood has been checked so hopefully the CT scan won't show anything and the neurologist who has a six month waiting list will. 

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This is still going on but worse. Completely numb face and head, mouth and tongue. No sense of taste and an ache in my arms and shoulders. I do have a CT scan on monday. My blood has been checked so hopefully the CT scan won't show anything and the neurologist who has a six month waiting list will. 

I hope you'll get some answers soon. It does brings to my mind the shingles virus and some its potential effects, which can linger. You never described fever, so not sure. There are also neuropathies that can cause some of the symptoms you mention. A lot could be done if they test the nerves for neuropathy. I had shingles ages ago and it cause pain, numbness, and tingling. It can attack the eyes. In any case, best wishes!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hope you'll get some answers soon. It does brings to my mind the shingles virus and some its potential effects, which can linger. You never described fever, so not sure. There are also neuropathies that can cause some of the symptoms you mention. A lot could be done if they test the nerves for neuropathy. I had shingles ages ago and it cause pain, numbness, and tingling. It can attack the eyes. In any case, best wishes!

I had shingles years ago but don't remember the symptoms Seat described. It's the unbelievable itchiness to the point of pain and the lumps/marks across my ribs that stick out for me. It was the most physically uncomfortable I've ever been for a prolonged period (like a 3 day electric shock if that makes sense). I've still got the scars on my side where it showed. Horrible virus.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I had shingles years ago but don't remember the symptoms Seat described. It's the unbelievable itchiness to the point of pain and the lumps/marks across my ribs that stick out for me. It was the most physically uncomfortable I've ever been for a prolonged period (like a 3 day electric shock if that makes sense). I've still got the scars on my side where it showed. Horrible virus.

I had it when I was young, which is a little unusual. Totally agree with you. I’m so so sorry you had to experience that pain, too. Last year, a friend of mine had it in the eye, which I’d never known about, and her symptoms were superficially similar to what Seat described, but I sure as heck wouldn’t know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

so a month on and some progress , my GP was brilliant , she listened to me , couldn't rule out the heart or the stomach so got me down for extensive tests on both 

couple of weeks back I had an Ultrsound & MRI  on my heart and then wore a heart monitor for 7 days  ...got the call today from all the tests 

all clear , actual words were your heart is very strong and in top condition , no furring in the arteries or anything , told me keep up the exercise and stay healthy .. 

I also had an endoscopy last week  and they found a hiatus hernia during this  , which interestingly in some instances can manifest in a way that  appears like a heart attack   , should be curable via medication  , just waiting on results from the stomach biopsies they took though to be sure 

Was nauseas , sick and all over the place yesterday , so not fully out the woods , but it would suggest that a cure isn't far away for me now and I can hopefully get back to a normal lifestyle ... 

come a long way from the first doctor who told me to park my ego and accept I was getting old and thus I shouldn't expect to be able to run at a high intensity without feeling out of breath and nauseas 

My doctor is dreadful. He has prescribed shrugs and isn't willing to try anything. After badgering I had a CT scan yesterday but am months away from a neurologist. 

I've been having discomfort in my stomach for like 3 weeks now. No nausea, diarrhea, sickness, weight loss etc so hoping it's just mild Gastritis or something else. First 'long' term health thing I've ever had really so a bit worrying.

Got bloods on Thursday.

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My doctor is dreadful. He has prescribed shrugs and isn't willing to try anything. After badgering I had a CT scan yesterday but am months away from a neurologist. 

yeah I was thinking about your experience as in some ways its similar to mine ( all be it different symptoms)  .. it took me my third doctor before I got someone to take it seriously  ( second one asked me if I was after a sick note for time off work ) .. 

Don't know how many doctors there are at your local surgery , but maybe work your way through all of them until you get one that comes up with a thorough plan to investigate your symptoms 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've been having discomfort in my stomach for like 3 weeks now. No nausea, diarrhea, sickness, weight loss etc so hoping it's just mild Gastritis or something else. First 'long' term health thing I've ever had really so a bit worrying.

Got bloods on Thursday.

Pending my endoscopy the gastroenterologist I saw suggested Alflorex in the first instance   ..

I'll be honest I was surprised he suggested something like that  , i thought the whole  probiotic and good bacteria stuff was just marketing companies at work  .. it does seem to have helped a little  , though it can take 12 weeks or so to fully balance with your body  

its not expensive so could be worth checking it out , they do more than one so look for the dual action version 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

my GP was brilliant

just to follow on from this , I had a call just now  from the Radiology department at my local hospital  as she had requested  an ultrasound to check for gallstones  as it was something else she felt could be at play 

I think its only my toe nails now that she hasn't requested a check on :) 

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah I was thinking about your experience as in some ways its similar to mine ( all be it different symptoms)  .. it took me my third doctor before I got someone to take it seriously  ( second one asked me if I was after a sick note for time off work ) .. 

Don't know how many doctors there are at your local surgery , but maybe work your way through all of them until you get one that comes up with a thorough plan to investigate your symptoms 

It’s definitely a very mixed experience the GP visit.

I’ve had some where they clearly weren’t paying attention and I failed to even gain eye contact, others where it was clearly a subject that interested them and I was their pet project.

Most recently, I’m having to micro manage my GP, I’ve had 6 months of meds from the hospital and these are now at an end. Getting the subsequent follow up repeat prescription from my GP has taken 2 weeks, and that’s when I’d told them I only had 1 week supply of medicine left. As it happened, I had more than that, and just as well I did. It needed me to take time out of work yesterday and basically stand at the GP Reception desk until I had a physical copy of a correct prescription in my hand. Not a lie that they’d sent it to the pharmacy, that their I.T. was down, that they hadn’t received my hospital notes, or even a prescription but for some un requested rash cream. I was perfectly polite, but had to stress a number of times I had run out of meds and was standing there until I got the correct prescription, having been fobbed off with multiple excuses for 2 weeks.

Even then, what I got was a prescription for 28 tablets for something I’ve been told I’ll be on for life. So I guess I go through all that again in a couple of weeks.

One of my previous fave experiences with the GP was a few years ago when I was getting what’s easiest described as sex migraines. I’d get to the magic moment and instead of it being a pleasant experience, it was like being hit over the head with a baseball bat. First doctor clearly too embarrassed to talk about it. Second doctor loved it! Had a colleague in another practise doing a paper on it, so I was seconded to the other doctor and had a surprisingly detailed few months of trying a few different things and reporting back! Mad times, basically had a note from the doctor for trying out different ‘techniques’ all in the name of medical science.

Have to say, that remains my all time favourite medical problem by quite some margin.

• Haha 2

My symptoms currently are completely that of MS. Everything fits, I guess they need to do the CT scan and rule out the big hitters. Or it might be a trapped nerve. Or head aids. 

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Even then, what I got was a prescription for 28 tablets for something I’ve been told I’ll be on for life. So I guess I go through all that again in a couple of weeks.

I did a repeat prescription  last night via the NHS App , has your nominated chemist on it where you go and pick it up from and just a couple of clicks ... I'd guess that's available to everyone  ?

presumably 28 days is so you don't get 6 months worth in one go and flog them on E-Bay 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I did a repeat prescription  last night via the NHS App , has your nominated chemist on it where you go and pick it up from and just a couple of clicks ... I'd guess that's available to everyone  ?

presumably 28 days is so you don't get 6 months worth in one go and flog them on E-Bay 

Yeah, I had 6 months supply from the hospital no problem, just handed me a carrier bag full.

There is an app, and there’s a section of the GP’s website specific for repeat prescriptions, but it hasn’t been working. Except, it clearly was working to some extent because when they eventually produced a prescription for what I wanted, it was exactly what I’d submitted via the app.. The whole experience just felt like they were being a bit crap about doing some basic admin and coming out with the classic ‘i.t. Problems’.

The one thing I am grateful for, prescriptions are free. I’d be clocking up some costs if they weren’t.

Went thru a bit of a sketchy patch in my personal life back in October. Almost immediately after, I found that I'd developed some kind of OCD type behaviours. I've always been 'particular' about things, but this was ridiculous, to the point where it was affecting my work. Spoke to a couple of professionals about it and apparently it can be anxiety based (which would make a lot of sense). Have been prescribed setraline since January. Seemed to work okay at the beginning, but then a big weekend away and it feels like it's not doing anything again. Anyone else got any experiences similar to this? 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Exactly what happened with me, when I had what turned out to be gallstones. Saw one of the GPs, and he reckoned it was acid reflux and prescribed omeprazole. That had no effect, so his second suggestion was a stomach ulcer, and put me down for an endoscopy. In the meantime, I had another bad attack so I went back and saw a different doctor. She immediately said "Hmm, sounds like gallstones to me - here, take this note down to A&E, now". Did that, and they confirmed it and admitted me immediately. 

• Like 1

Â