VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Xela

Dr John, the night tripper sadly gone at 77.  :(

awesome musician. Was only listening to a couple of his albums the other day..... Utterly gutted. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Dr John, the night tripper sadly gone at 77.  :(

awesome musician. Was only listening to a couple of his albums the other day..... Utterly gutted. 

Came on here to post that.   Very sad.   I was lucky enough to see him live a couple of times.   Here's some more magic:

• Like 1

He'll forever be remembered for this. Which many might know for the dreadful Paul Weller cover. I just discovered that even Cher recorded it as a single but it's been covered by lots of artists. RIP EDIT: for the record, the Cher version is worse than Weller's

• Like 1

Purists will probably throw up their hands in horror, but I really liked the Humble Pie version of 'Gilded Splinters' (on the live Fillmore album). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Purists will probably throw up their hands in horror, but I really liked the Humble Pie version of 'Gilded Splinters' (on the live Fillmore album). 

Not heard that one but I always liked the version by The Flowerpot Men (not the 60's ones or the puppets), the late '80s / early '90s Indie ones 

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I liked the Marsha Hunt version, if it is the same number ! Not a fan of Dr John but a proper musician and had a cult following (I think). He also had the HUGE advantage of appearing with Steve Gadd on drums😎. There was an ace record  shop in Nottingham that had a lot of his LPs and CDs for sale. Might have been called Selecta Disc - not sure.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, veloman said:

I liked the Marsha Hunt version, if it is the same number ! Not a fan of Dr John but a proper musician and had a cult following (I think). 

Yep, he played on a lot of sessions (was part of Spector's 'Wrecking Crew'). Marsha Hunt's 'Gilded Splinters' was indeed the same song - arguably the best version. 

• Like 1

andre-matos-09062019092959394.jpg.87418cb8b72979f10d2e9c4308387b23.jpg

Brazilian Heavy Metal singer Andre Matos, 47.

Worked with one of his bands, Angra, at the end of the 90s.

Not my sort of music at all, but we had a laugh whilst they were here.

Was minded of them last year when the producer from their session passed away.

They'd done alright since. Andre was in a band called Viper. Ricardo the drummer is much in demand as a musician and for workshops. Kiko the guitarist is now in Megadeth!

Saddened by his passing.

Â