Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Smith and really want him to be the manager to take us to the next level. I also believe he will. 

But Poch would be an amazing appointment.

I like Smith too, but I doubt he will be the one to take us to the next level. He has his limitations maybe due to inexperience, an unfortunately we have never been a club to come to and allow much time to learn your trade.

1. Tactically speaking, fantastic starting eleven tonight. Dropping Nakamba (controversial) meant we were on the front foot all day. Well done.
  2. Unforgivable to not make any changes after 70 minutes. Very bad sign.
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Enda said:
  1. Tactically speaking, fantastic starting eleven tonight. Dropping Nakamba (controversial) meant we were on the front foot all day. Well done.

Unforgivable 😂

We won the game with ease and have players who need to get used to putting in a 90 minute shift. Jesus christ. 

NO DEAN! I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU!

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

Not sure the obsession with making changes, well for this game anyway

The 11 on the pitch were still creating enough chances, and Newcastle weren't creating anything of note

No point making changes for the sake of it

• Like 2

Just now, lexicon said:

Unforgivable 😂

We won the game with ease and have players who need to get used to putting in a 90 minute shift. Jesus christ. 

We did win, but we didn't help ourselves. Play that match again and we'd throw it away.

It's nearly December, not preseason. "Get used to putting in a 90 minute shift" is not an excuse to have kept John McGinn on that pitch.

Just now, Enda said:

We did win, but we didn't help ourselves. Play that match again and we'd throw it away.

It's nearly December, not preseason. "Get used to putting in a 90 minute shift" is not an excuse to have kept John McGinn on that pitch.

😂 Jesus christ, have a night off mate. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

😂 Jesus christ, have a night off mate. 

I'm abroad so only early afternoon here. Obviously it wasn't consequential tonight, but three points against an awful Newcastle side don't cover up Smith's unwillingness to make changes at 70 minutes.

14 minutes ago, Enda said:

Why? We were cruising. You don’t always have to  make changes! 

He could have made a substitute and Newcastle scored. He’d then be getting hammered!  Crazy.

17 minutes ago, Enda said:

Why is it even when were winning that a change must be a thing of discussion. We won let's be happy about that, did it ever occur to people that he must have faith in the eleven to close out the game and that could be one reason in what he's trying to accomplish which is complete faith. Another could be to keep them playing a full 90 and they get used to the harsh extreme energy sapping that this league is known for.

Making subs doesn't need to be a thing every game we play.

1 minute ago, Enda said:

I'm abroad so only early afternoon here. Obviously it wasn't consequential tonight, but three points against an awful Newcastle side don't cover up Smith's unwillingness to make changes at 70 minutes.

Let's look at the last 5 league games shall we:

Wolves - Injuries to Heaton and Targett limited his ability to make changes, subbed Nakamba at 69 minutes

Liverpool - 2 subs around that time, one at 69 and one at 73

Man City - 1 sub around that time at 71 

Brighton - 1 sub at 63, double sub at 76

Norwich - 1 at 64, 1 at 75 when we were 4-0 up.

You literally don't have a point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Does anyone else think that Smith Looks like Beaker from the muppets when he’s being interviews and pulls his lips in? Anyway well done dean. Good performance.

what's the point of that and no I don't.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You literally don't have a point. 

Right, right. Here's some quotes from the match thread:

• @sne"Boggles the mind why we are always so late with the subs."
  • @bojong "Nakamba for Hourihane for last 10"
  • @PieFacE "Unpopular opinion. I'd bring McGinn off. Doesn't look himself."
  • @AVTuco "Maybe Elmo on for Guilbert? Need some strength."
  • @Dr_Pangloss "Midfield gone to shit now, needs a change."
  • @osmark86 "I would sub mcginn for nakamba. He's been ok but we should really just bring the brick wall back to these suckers. Would devastate them."
  • @KHV "Changes please Dean"
  • @deeps "McGinn needs a rest badly."
  • @Dave-R "Can see gayle changing it for them, i agree with other we need to chsnge things up abit."

But maybe we were all imagining things?

• Like 1

Just now, Enda said:

Right, right. Here's some quotes from the match thread:

• @sne"Boggles the mind why we are always so late with the subs."
  • @bojong "Nakamba for Hourihane for last 10"
  • @PieFacE "Unpopular opinion. I'd bring McGinn off. Doesn't look himself."
  • @AVTuco "Maybe Elmo on for Guilbert? Need some strength."
  • @Dr_Pangloss "Midfield gone to shit now, needs a change."
  • @osmark86 "I would sub mcginn for nakamba. He's been ok but we should really just bring the brick wall back to these suckers. Would devastate them."
  • @KHV "Changes please Dean"
  • @deeps "McGinn needs a rest badly."
  • @Dave-R "Can see gayle changing it for them, i agree with other we need to chsnge things up abit."

But maybe we were all imagining things?

And we won 2-0 and didn't look like letting that slip at any time.... I know you've quoted a bunch of seasoned professional football coaches/managers there but I think you need a bit of perspective. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why? We were cruising. You don’t always have to  make changes! 

Making my point here is going to take a bit of explaining. But when there's 100 things going on in a match (starting eleven, formation, subs, if the ref suddenly gives the opposition a harsh penalty, etc etc) you just can't use the result to get the whole picture. You can win the game even if you make bad subs. You can lose the game because of a bad VAR decision. So you need to keep them all in perspective.

I don't agree we were cruising around 70 mins. When Gayle came on, and Andy Carroll had that chance, McGinn was bit off the pace, and Hourihane was becoming quieter. At that time the game was in the balance then. Obviously it ended up not mattering (thankfully) but we could all have seen that match going another way. A bit like taking off Wesley and bringing a centre-half with 5 mins to go against Liverpool could have won us 3 points. It might not have worked but it sort of makes sense when you're playing the percentages. Not freshening up that midfield in the second-half wasn't playing the percentages today. We were lucky Newcastle were so crap that it didn't matter in the end.

• Like 3

Â