Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'm concerned that if we lose to Bruce's side you will have those saying we should of kept hold of bruce.

If we lose to Newcastle it would be an absolute disaster. They would be 7 points clear off us and we have Man Utd, Chelsea and Leicester up next.

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Like I said, there are trade-offs involved with every approach. Too open you say? We are also the 7th highest scoring team in the league.

Although we are relegation candidates if you go by goals conceded, we are also only 3 goals worse off than the top half for goals conceded.

I would agree that when we commit men forward, as we do, we have not yet developed a reliable way of dealing with transitions in play when it comes back at us.

I also have seen us be lackadaisical in our efforts to prevent opposition build up play from gathering momentum, in this league that can be punished within moments.

I've also seen some naivety on an individual level where we've tried something that is just not on, in an area that is just not on, and there's been consequences.

Funnily enough, what you point out was the criticism from many when Smith first arrived, and results went undeservedly against us. The focus seemed to be solely on the result.

I agree wholeheartedly every match should be played to the best of our ability, and that there is an urgency to finding our feet if we want to run with this league another season.

As for doing the fundamentals and basics with an application worthy of PL status, I see your point, and again I agree, it's critical to our success in this league.

But, you can have eleven fundamentally solid players who might as well of boozed up pregame because they are all over the place, loose as a goose, when it comes to wavelength.

It's not an excuse it's just part of our situation that we have had less time together to strategise and integrate appropriate tactics, as well as understand the competition we face.

It's really on Smith to ensure that the players are so well prepared for a fixture that when the next one comes, when he says jump, they say, "how high?"

My point entirely, these things have far reaching consequences and influence other aspects of our play negatively.....for me, its more a culture or a doctrine that needs addressing as opposed to a set of instructions.....I would suggest Eddie Jones is brought in for some sessions.

The point about 7th highest scorers, cements the point even more.....its conceding that's the problem, more than scoring.

But I agree in general with your sentiments.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

If we lose to Newcastle it would be an absolute disaster. They would be 7 points clear off us and we have Man Utd, Chelsea and Leicester up next.

Based on the post you quoted, you seem to think we should have stuck with Bruce. Personally I don't think we'd have reached this league if we had.

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Based on the post you quoted, you seem to think we should have stuck with Bruce. Personally I don't think we'd have reached this league if we had.

No it was the right time to sack him when we did.

But i've got to admit, yeah i'm still unconvinced by Smith. He has to improve his in game management and we can't keep conceding 20+ shots every game.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No it was the right time to sack him when we did.

But i've got to admit, yeah i'm still unconvinced by Smith. He has to improve his in game management and we can't keep conceding 20+ shots every game.

Fair enough.

I do agree with the last sentence, but where we differ is that I'm very optimistic in Smith and that with time as the team gets better at pressing together etc this will all come and he will tweak to address deficiencies. Just need to make sure we don't go straight back down this year to have a chance of this happening.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don’t be so dramatic mate. It will be bad and leave us in a very poor situation but an absolute disaster? Give me a break.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t be so dramatic mate. It will be bad and leave us in a very poor situation but an absolute disaster? Give me a break.

Its a must win game IMO

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Couldn't care less about how many shots we concede......last time I checked no one looks back on a season and tallies up how many shots against took place.....

The implication is that we're conceding lots of goals because we've been conceding lots of shots, so if we reduce the amount of shots, we concede less goals. Of course no one cares about the amount of shots we concede by itself, only what it entails on our goals conceded.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The implication is that we're conceding lots of goals because we've been conceding lots of shots, so if we reduce the amount of shots, we concede less goals. Of course no one cares about the amount of shots we concede by itself, only what it entails on our goals conceded.

I get the implication, it's just another OTT comment in my opinion.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It is a must win game. But absolute disaster? 

Well if we lose it will be 4 on the bounce with another 3 to follow

That would leave us with 11 points at Christmas after 7 defeats in a row which is pretty disasterous 

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

the same Man United you have been laughing at all season and saying are in a relegation battle?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No, a disaster would be you getting through this weekend without that nappy I told you to buy a few weeks back. It's okay, you tried not using one, but it just isn't working. 

• Haha 3

On 20/11/2019 at 16:21, AVFCDAN said:

I do fear for Dean if we lose against Newcastle. Every chance we will lose 6 on the bounce if we don't beat them.

I don't. 

After what Dean has achieved with the club, the work that needed to be done in the summer, and the fact that this is our first season back, I'd be absolutely dismanyed if people were calling for his head due to a little losing streak that included City, Liverpool, Wolves (away), UTD and Chelsea. 

We all hope we can pick up 3 points against Newcastle but I'd hope fans take a broader view of the situation if we don't..

For me our problem is off the ball movement both offensively and defensively. We struggle to keep the ball because we don't show for it which leads to us being predictable and giving the ball away cheaply.

Deffensively we don't press as a team and unless they are the one going to the man with the ball we remain very static. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I don't. 

After what Dean has achieved with the club, the work that needed to be done in the summer, and the fact that this is our first season back, I'd be absolutely dismanyed if people were calling for his head due to a little losing streak that included City, Liverpool, Wolves (away), UTD and Chelsea. 

We all hope we can pick up 3 points against Newcastle but I'd hope fans take a broader view of the situation if we don't..

Doubt that very much. The same fans that were calling for his head back in February will be doing the same. Just the way it is.

If the worst is to happen and we don’t pick up any points from next 4.(even though I don’t think that will happen).  We then have a run of games from Dec 14th to jan 1st which are all 6 pointers. Those are the games that will define our season.

Â