Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 22/11/2019 at 17:41, KHV said:

Well if we lose it will be 4 on the bounce with another 3 to follow

That would leave us with 11 points at Christmas after 7 defeats in a row which is pretty disasterous 

Why does losing Monday automatically mean we lose the next 3 afterwards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why does losing Monday automatically mean we lose the next 3 afterwards?

It doesn't but if we can't beat a 10 man Arsenal i'm not very optimistic we will get anything from any of the top clubs.

Edited by villalad21

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It doesn't but if we can't beat a 10 man Arsenal i'm not very optimistic we will get anything from any of the top clubs.

Things change very quickly in football. Last season after the Albion game in Feb most of us wrote off the season there and then. We were awful that day. We then won 10 games in a row. I don’t expect such an upturn in results but I could definitely see us winning 2/3 on the bounce. The only game we haven’t been competitive in this season was Wolves 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That’s like saying if Norwich can beat city they should be able to beat every other top club.  Hell they should be winning the league! 

• Like 2

Two wins and Wolves have shot up to 5th, prior to beating us I think they were just a point or 2 ahead of us.

We need to remain calm and focused, things can change very quickly.

Hopefully with our "spine " back, we can start improving again and go on a mini run.

• Like 4

Just watched Smith's toon pre match presser. Here are a few things I noticed.

The jouno asking Smith questions called Steve Bruce Chris Bruce! How do these sycophants get their jobs?

The audio was only coming out channel. How do these sycophant IT guys get their jobs?

Smith again say's Jack Grealish is ready to play. Then he backtracked saying "oh but I've said that for the last few weeks" If super Jack doesn't play you might as well stay at home. Even McGinn isn't that super without him. I need to know before if he's playing before I walk to the station.

El Gazi was this week quoted in the press saying he has a point to prove against bruce for not playing him. SMith said he doesn't want players to have personal feelings about anything.....GAZI must play! this personal agenda will give him 10% extra and could win us the game.

SMiths play without emotion philosophy is flawed. hasn't he seen rocky 4?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TRO said:

The right things might be instructed, but they aren't or can't do them

Imo a lot of times he's made the wrong subs and there never seem to be any tactical subs it's usually just a striker for a striker, winger for a winger replacement. Luiz playing ahead of Conor against Man City and Liverpool is the obvious one.

Dean shouldn't be afraid to tweak his system during certain moments in a game to get a result.

We all thought he would use him in a holding role together with Nakamba to make us harder to break down, but he used him in the same exact role where Conor operates.

Dean is really basic in his in game management.

Edited by villalad21

After seeing some games this weekend it's no surprising we are falling short compared to other teams. I mean some of these teams including sheff utd now playing Man Utd, they are shutting them out fast and there's always at least 2 players running at the Man Utd player with the ball. Two players trying to shutdown instead of our one does alot of things, cuts angles out, puts more pressure on and mistakes are made faster, why we are not attempting this as fast as what sheff utd are managing it i just dont know.

Tomorrow's game will tell us alot, hopefully we see if Smith has managed to add anything into our tactics, one thing is clear we need to shutdown fast for a full 90 tomorrow. If we're relieved of the ball then I'd lime to see our players have the heart to not only obtain it back but keep it instead of long balling it back to them.

No long balls tomorrow, no crosses in the air to players who won't be obviously scoring from aerial crosses, let's get the ball in low to Wesley and give him some service. Wingers to have there men marked all game and make some precise crosses. There really is a long list of does and donts and hopefully we will all be saying those does and donts were correctly implemented by the lads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, screwdriver said:

The jouno asking Smith questions called Steve Bruce Chris Bruce! How do these sycophants get their jobs?

The audio was only coming out channel. How do these sycophant IT guys get their jobs?

Smith again say's Jack Grealish is ready to play. Then he backtracked saying "oh but I've said that for the last few weeks" If super Jack doesn't play you might as well stay at home. Even McGinn isn't that super without him. I need to know before if he's playing before I walk to the station.

El Gazi was this week quoted in the press saying he has a point to prove against bruce for not playing him. SMith said he doesn't want players to have personal feelings about anything.....GAZI must play! this personal agenda will give him 10% extra and could win us the game.

SMiths play without emotion philosophy is flawed. hasn't he seen rocky 4?

How do these sycophant people call themselves fans!? ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, screwdriver said:

GAZI must play! this personal agenda will give him 10% extra and could win us the game.

10% I want bloody 1000%, not asking for a high percent is like setting the bar real low.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

After seeing some games this weekend it's no surprising we are falling short compared to other teams. I mean some of these teams including sheff utd now playing Man Utd, they are shutting them out fast and there's always at least 2 players running at the Man Utd player with the ball. Two players trying to shutdown instead of our one does alot of things, cuts angles out, puts more pressure on and mistakes are made faster, why we are not attempting this as fast as what sheff utd are managing it i just dont know.

Tomorrow's game will tell us alot, hopefully we see if Smith has managed to add anything into our tactics, one thing is clear we need to shutdown fast for a full 90 tomorrow. If we're relieved of the ball then I'd lime to see our players have the heart to not only obtain it back but keep it instead of long balling it back to them.

No long balls tomorrow, no crosses in the air to players who won't be obviously scoring from aerial crosses, let's get the ball in low to Wesley and give him some service. Wingers to have there men marked all game and make some precise crosses. There really is a long list of does and donts and hopefully we will all be saying those does and donts were correctly implemented by the lads.

Lets hope we see some improvements in tactics and management. Cause I for one will have to admit, i'm getting a bit bored of losing because of no plan B, an same old same old

I have watched Sheff Utd all season and I am convinced man for man we have a better team....in terms of talent.

My other observations is.....Chris Wilder reminds me of Ron Saunders, in his focus on work rate and effort and the ability to deny the opposition.

Some fans will baulk at that but Klopp and Pepe refer to it all the time......Brendan Rogers too,has Leicester psyched up to win a game.

Talent is paramount....but its over rated if it isn't applied.

Tonight....Graham Souness described Man U as turning up as a bunch of " Big Heads"......We all know what he means, no physically competitive approach and thinking their better talent will see them through, for 70 minutes they were done.......in 1980/81/82 We had loads of teams like that and we dumped them on their arses, just like Sheff Utd have done so far.

Because we was "up for it"

Tomorrow night will be no different......We have the talent to win it......If we have the will or application to match, we will win the game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Lets hope we see some improvements in tactics and management. Cause I for one will have to admit, i'm getting a bit bored of losing because of no plan B, an same old same old

I think plan A is the problem...I like Dean, but not sure he is tough enough with the players to succeed....its all a little bit too passive for me....and a little bit too grateful to be in the league....it has to change and soon.

Systems alone won't win you anything...you have to want the win bad enough.

The players have to roll their sleeves up and be ready and relishing the battle....Then apply their talent and win the game.

In that order

Not come out playing football, get a bloody nose and go in to defensive mode, because the opposition are more up for it.....have a flurry, get their temper up and get back in the game and scramble a draw......That is bollox football.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have watched Sheff Utd all season and I am convinced man for man we have a better team....in terms of talent.

My other observations is.....Chris Wilder reminds me of Ron Saunders, in his focus on work rate and effort and the ability to deny the opposition.

Some fans will baulk at that but Klopp and Pepe refer to it all the time......Brendan Rogers too,has Leicester psyched up to win a game.

Talent is paramount....but its over rated if it isn't applied.

Tonight....Graham Souness described Man U as turning up as a bunch of " Big Heads"......We all know what he means, no physically competitive approach and thinking their better talent will see them through, for 70 minutes they were done.......in 1980/81/82 We had loads of teams like that and we dumped them on their arses, just like Sheff Utd have done so far.

Because we was "up for it"

Tomorrow night will be no different......We have the talent to win it......If we have the will or application to match, we will win the game.

There's confidence issues at the moment as well. Plenty in our team don't think themselves that they're good enough. Couple of wins will change that. Sheff U have had the veil of doubt lifted by duffing up a few sides.

That's why wolves was so annoying, the performance v Liverpool should have spurred us on. It did for Sheff U after they lost late on in even worse circumstances than us, with their keeper throwing one in.

Something has to click. Grealish can help us massively as he doesn't seem to feel pressure and demands the ball at every opportunity.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

There's confidence issues at the moment as well. Plenty in our team don't think themselves that they're good enough. Couple of wins will change that. Sheff U have had the veil of doubt lifted by duffing up a few sides.

That's why wolves was so annoying, the performance v Liverpool should have spurred us on. It did for Sheff U after they lost late on in even worse circumstances than us, with their keeper throwing one in.

Something has to click. Grealish can help us massively as he doesn't seem to feel pressure and demands the ball at every opportunity.

I am not trying to under play that, but the harder you work the luckier you get.....Hard Work and effective work can raise those confidence levels......passive play and a meloncholy approach, will drain every bit of confidence out of any sports person.

No It won't.....Wins helps no doubt, but the work that get you those wins, is much more significant......2 deflections off the refs arse, adds no confidence to any team....just making a point.

What will change it,is a few headers won that we shouldn't have won......a few tackles that we shouldn't have won .....a few attempts on goal where we have won the ball and turned it over....a few 50/50's where we have dominated.

I will say a really silly thing here to some, but its significant......If we won every headed challenge be it a throw in, corner or punt from the opposition....we would win the game?....Why ? because it sends out a message , there's a game on and we are up for it.

some of the so called insignificant stuff can turn out to be the most significant stuff.

We need to man up.....some of our players, not all.

Ps We have to win more duels.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

No It won't.

What will change it,is a few headers won that we shouldn't have won......a few tackles that we shouldn't have won .....a few attempts on goal where we have won the ball and turned it over....a few 50/50's where we have dominated.

I will say a really silly thing here to some, but its significant......If we won every headed challenge be it a throw in, corner or punt from the opposition....we would win the game?....Why ? because it sends out a message , there's a game on and we are up for it.

some of the so called insignificant stuff can turn out to be the most significant stuff.

We need to man up.....some of our players, not all.

I meant wins will change confidence.

Everything else will hopefully kick on from there. We need to improve on everything you said yes.

We got slightly unlucky that after back to back wins we had City then Liverpool. If we whip Newcastle, I'll fancy us to get something at Utd no problem.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I meant wins will change confidence.

Everything else will hopefully kick on from there. We need to improve on everything you said yes.

We got slightly unlucky that after back to back wins we had City then Liverpool. If we whip Newcastle, I'll fancy us to get something at Utd no problem.

I actually fancy us to get something from every team, if........ I am really not joking.....We was so close to getting something from the best team, but the play leading to their goals was naive, imo....avoidable.

But we need to compete for 90 + minutes... to get anything.

Wins will always change confidence particularly if those wins are supported by play that lends itself to controlling games.....If those wins are tantamount to  a couple of moments or a team that is way off the pace or a couple of lucky twists, players are not daft.

I accept a run of wins where luck has taken a back seat and good play has been the result.....yes wins give confidence.

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think plan A is the problem...I like Dean, but not sure he is tough enough with the players to succeed....its all a little bit too passive for me....and a little bit too grateful to be in the league....it has to change and soon.

Systems alone won't win you anything...you have to want the win bad enough.

The players have to roll their sleeves up and be ready and relishing the battle....Then apply their talent and win the game.

In that order

Not come out playing football, get a bloody nose and go in to defensive mode, because the opposition are more up for it.....have a flurry, get their temper up and get back in the game and scramble a draw......That is bollox football.

I think your bang on here, just didn't wanna upset anyone. Love him to bits, an got his dream job, but needs to start getting dirty. Would be up there with Wolves if we could hold on to a lead. Unfortunately this is gonna be the start of the end for him if it don't change sooner rather than later, can't see Swaris and Edens messing about if we are into the relegation zone after Christmas.

This doesn't leave the team blameless, that performance against Wolves was shocking. an improvements need to be made with or without Smith.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think your bang on here, just didn't wanna upset anyone. Love him to bits, an got his dream job, but needs to start getting dirty. Would be up there with Wolves if we could hold on to a lead. Unfortunately this is gonna be the start of the end for him if it don't change sooner rather than later, can't see Swaris and Edens messing about if we are into the relegation zone after Christmas.

This doesn't leave the team blameless, that performance against Wolves was shocking. an improvements need to be made with or without Smith.

The thing is, I don't think it was a lack of effort or desire that cost us against Wolves. I think we got the tactics utterly wrong in that first half. The were completely and systematically shredding us every time they got the ball, even if we lacked the desire or effort we should not have fared near as badly as we did. That point where Mings and the other Villa players ran towards Dean Smith after a break in play, highlighted just how badly we were playing, and how the team knew whatever they were trying to do, it wasn't working at all and they needed the manager to tell them how to fix it.

In short, I put the blame for the Wolves match much more on Smith than the players. Yes the players screwed up during the free kick, but we would never have conceded that free kick had we not been subject to wave after wave of attack by the opposition, which I blame on Dean's tactics. This is the common theme with us conceding the goals. Yes, individual mistakes can be blamed for them, but we are often subject to immense pressure by the opposition that forces these mistakes to happen. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

Â