Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's pretty much it. While no manager is without errors, Smith knows more about football and the squad than any of us on this forum, so it's probably wise to consider this before ranting about what he should have done different. 

You might not intend it to, but this literally implies Smith is above criticism.

I don’t buy that. At all.

That's pretty much it. While no manager is without errors, Smith knows more about football and the squad than any of us on this forum, so it's probably wise to consider this before ranting about what he should have done different. 

This probably could have been said about Steve Bruce, Tim Sherwood, Alex McLeish, Paul Jewell, Tony Adams... and so on as well.

• Like 1

It seems to me that Smith choses his starting personnel in the team mostly because of how the players have previously performed. E.g. Nakamba plays well he starts. Has a poor game against Wolves and Luiz comes in for him. 
There is a bit of tactical tweaking - he stated that he left out Hourihane to be a bit more solid against Citeh and Liverpool. But I think he also takes players’ performances into account as well. That said I think he has his favourites. I personally wonder whether Luiz has to have at least some game time in a certain percentage of matches he is fit for to get another work permit. Though his recent cap might make this unnecessary now.

He doesn't know more than me. Guy in c6 trinity lower 3 rows from the pitch taught me all I know.

"Forward. Go Forwards"

Not everyone can take in that kind of tactical knowledge.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Enda said:

You might not intend it to, but this literally implies Smith is above criticism.

I don’t buy that. At all.

Don't I state in the second sentence that all managers make mistakes? Kinda fail to see how you got there. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Dean Smith knows more about football than I do. But so does Steve Bruce.

Fact of the matter is we’re top 10 based on the first 45 mins of matches, and rock bottom based on the second half.

We are third behind united (maybe 2nd after New castle game) and Liverpool. It is the last 30 that really undoes us though. I think a lot of it is conditioning though and it seems as though we have improved it but not enough as evidenced by the city and Liverpool games. 

On 25/11/2019 at 17:40, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Smith and really want him to be the manager to take us to the next level. I also believe he will. 

But Poch would be an amazing appointment.

Its rude to even contemplate it.

• Like 2

There are only 2 teams in this league that really 'scare' me on any given day, but I still fancied us to have a go at Man City and Liverpool. Which we did. And Spurs. And Arsenal. And United, Chelsea and Leicester I expect and I'm also sure the results will come. 

I think you can say Deano is doing OK in the Premier League, yeah. Like a duck to water.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There are only 2 teams in this league that really 'scare' me on any given day, but I still fancied us to have a go at Man City and Liverpool. Which we did. And Spurs. And Arsenal. And United, Chelsea and Leicester I expect and I'm also sure the results will come. 

I think you can say Deano is doing OK in the Premier League, yeah. Like a duck to water.

It’s also entertaining to watch under Dean. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching us play this much in the top flight. Admit a lot of that is down to Jack who’s just a pleasure to watch but you can see how Smith wants the game to be played and we are in work in progress.  

The sellouts at nearly every game since last April show the fans have responded to this.

• Like 1

On RedCafe they've created a "next manager to be sacked" thread and Smith is among the top 6 in many of the posts.

It's interesting that fans from other clubs thinks he is doing a bad job.

I think people have to take into account we finished 5th in the Championship but people are probably looking at the name Aston Villa and automatically have higher expectations of us compared to Norwich and Sheffield United.

• Like 2

I think the game on Monday and in particular, the clean sheet will give the lads a lot of confidence.

Consistently losing leads and subsequently matches must take a toll and we just need to learn how to win, how to close games out.

Hopefully Monday gave the side a foundation to build on for achieving that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

On RedCafe they've created a "next manager to be sacked" thread and Smith is among the top 6 in many of the posts.

It's interesting that fans from other clubs thinks he is doing a bad job.

I think people have to take into account we finished 5th in the Championship but people are probably looking at the name Aston Villa and automatically have higher expectations of us compared to Norwich and Sheffield United.

Bruce no1 then, has to be right??

Don't think Owners will sack Smith, for the time being they know how good he's done, the work he's put in with his coaching staff. Even think if we got relegated they would keep Smith for at least a season because really we should bounce back up in a first season.

If Smith were to leave we would then have to make a play for a top manager or Coach, preferably a Coach because it seems to suit us more than a manager. Id like to see pochettino with us if Smith was no more, I'd like to say I think Poc would be the better version of Smith but there really is no telling at the moment in how far Smith will go.

I'll ride the Waves with Smith either way (think he deserves that) because we are where we are because of each and everyone at Villa putting in the work.

Â