Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 05/10/2019 at 21:18, useless said:

If he keeps up the good work we might have to see about rewarding him with a new contract.

I remember this post getting lampooned on here as 'modern day hysteria' and that reply getting a stack of likes.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

On RedCafe they've created a "next manager to be sacked" thread and Smith is among the top 6 in many of the posts.

It's interesting that fans from other clubs thinks he is doing a bad job.

I think people have to take into account we finished 5th in the Championship but people are probably looking at the name Aston Villa and automatically have higher expectations of us compared to Norwich and Sheffield United.

I think you're bang on.  It just shows the understandable disconnect that fans of other clubs have when discussing other teams.  They've only really got a superficial knowledge.  We're guilty of the same here in fairness.  Fact is when Sky were discussing the managers on the chopping block it was Silva, Emery & Deirde Barlow at West Ham.  Smith wasn't even near the running.  And today's contract extension just proves that.  I also think you're right; and we should take that as a compliment; that fans look at Villa and think they should be higher.  But they needn't worry, because we will be :D  :thumb:

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Red Cafe know what they’re on about.

If I was seeing the same thread discussed earlier half the posts were saying who is Smith and "I had to think for a bit to remember who smith was". Classic Man U ignorance, don't even know about the league they are in!

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

He's mentioning top 6 being the aim in the future. Can't see it happening but one can always hope!

Why do you think top 6 isn't going to happen? If we stay up this year two summers of investment and consistency in the coaching would be plenty to be a top 6 side if you ask me. Give Smith the type of backing that the club are now capable of and the sky is the limit. 

Chuffed to bits Smith has signed for 4 years, I hope he is still the manager in 2023 and if he is we'll be playing some pretty special football :D

• Like 2

Smith's playing down expectations with his talk of top six, our owners want champions league football which is one of the reasons that they bought us instead of a US Major league team. It's easier said that done, but if you're prepared to spend the money, make good decisions, and have a bit of luck then it's not impossible.

Edited by useless
champions league via the europa league could be a shorter term goal for us.
  • Like 1

Ace news Smith 4 EVA 😁

Couldn't be happier about seeing the news on this, thrilled I am as I think it brings us stability and should down the line make us the club we could of been for past 20 years, no more getting rid of Coaches for the sake of having a bad run.

Â