Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think your bang on here, just didn't wanna upset anyone. Love him to bits, an got his dream job, but needs to start getting dirty. Would be up there with Wolves if we could hold on to a lead. Unfortunately this is gonna be the start of the end for him if it don't change sooner rather than later, can't see Swaris and Edens messing about if we are into the relegation zone after Christmas.

This doesn't leave the team blameless, that performance against Wolves was shocking. an improvements need to be made with or without Smith.

Agree. I think we are too soft and lack movement and aggression. We really struggle to do the basic concept of pass and move and pass and move. We don't make ourselves available to our teammates and we lose the ball easily. When we do lose the ball easily where are the tactical fouls. The little niggling challenges that make it so a player doesn't want to come near you. Every other team does it constantly to jack, John and Wesley and half the time get away with it. We need to do it and make it hard for everyone and anyone to come play us. 

• Like 2

Defensively he was the same at Brentford, scored goals but conceded to many. Too many times we have needed to sure up the defense with Hause on the bench and he has brought on a midfielder or changed the attacker.

Edited by foreveryoung

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's the thing. Mainly defensively.

It's so easy to get past our midfield it's a joke. Even a 10 man Brighton cut through us like a hot knife through butter, it was so easy for them.

I want to see improvement defensively. This has been exactly the criticism the Brentford fan on here aimed at Smith at his time there.

If Smith is unable to sort us out defensively he is not the right man for the job imo.

Sadly, the observation you make is right....its concerning.

I hope the Brentford fan is wrong.

I just have a worry, it might be too late to find out one way of the other....when we do.

I want to stay with Smith.....but he does have to get a better defensive offering from this squad.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

No one is saying get rid of Smith now, we all wanna give him time to gel the team. But I dont think we have improved since the beginning of the season, going backwards in some games, continuing to make the same mistakes and his subs are always suspect when we are running the game. 

This losing in the last 5-10 minutes has to stop especially, something he is struggling with.

I don't know about this. Wolves aside, we have improved significantly since Spurs and Bournemouth imo.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I wouldn't agree, Arsenal, Burnley, Crystal palace, all late in the game winners.

Tonight will be interesting?

Burnley was an equalizer, and Palace wasn't that late in the game...we should have drawn it if it weren't for refereeing malpractice anyway. Only one where we let get away from us that we shouldn't have was Arsenal.

If Jack plays tonight, I have no worries about the game at all. After that ridiculous first Bournemouth game, Liverpool are the only side to beat us at VP, and it took them until stoppage time to do it. I can't see many bottom half teams turning us over at home.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

we should have drawn it

We should and we shouldn't.

Palace bossed the game really and were fully deserved winners, but yes we did get robbed by the ref.

But so did Liverpool against us with Firminho. Things like that happen. Good teams make their own luck and aren't dependent on the ref to  get results

Edited by villalad21

10 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

We just need to keep ourselves above the bottom three going into January. We have a tough run of games after Newcastle but then an ‘easier’ run over Christmas. Sign a new striker in January and I believe the team will get better as the season goes on. We may well go on a run once they gel properly, similar to last season. Picking up points between now and then is key though, we need to not be cut adrift as it affects the mentality too much. 

Agreed, we need to just keep ourselves there or thereabouts.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are appalling from corners. Don’t get why we are so bad. It’s probably why we tend to go short as when we swing it in nobody ever seems to be on the end of it. We must have the worst record in the league for goals from corners. I can only remember the Trez goal. 

It's the curse of Westwood.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We should and we shouldn't.

Palace bossed the game really and were fully deserved winners, but yes we did get robbed by the ref.

But so did Liverpool against us with Firminho. Things like that happen. Good teams make their own luck and aren't dependent on the ref to  get results

There's no such thing as making your own luck. Palace didn't boss the game at all. We were awful, but so were they. A late equalizer at 1-1 wouldn't have been undeserved. It was a good piece of play and a good goal too, better than their goal which was an extremely fortuitous ricochet off 2 players straight into Ayew's path.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's no such thing as making your own luck. Palace didn't boss the game at all. We were awful, but so were they. A late equalizer at 1-1 wouldn't have been undeserved. It was a good piece of play and a good goal too, better than their goal which was an extremely fortuitous ricochet off 2 players straight into Ayew's path.

22-10 in shots. 13-2 in corners. They fully deserved the win mate.

And yes there is something called making your own luck. Liverpool does it all the time. 

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

22-10 in shots. 13-2 in corners. They fully deserved the win mate.

And yes there is something called making your own luck. Liverpool does it all the time. 

That's just called being a better team. Not even going to engage the first part.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You don't make your own luck, but you can increase the amount of times you play the game so that luck matters less, that's what I take the phrase you make your own luck to mean. Every attacking chance could be said to have a certain probability to result in a goal. Skill and quality only makes it so that you are more likely to score from an attacking chance, or less likely if we're looking at the perspective of the defence but it generally does not ensure it. There is usuallyan element of luck that goes into it, because the players never have true control of the ball. How many times do players shoot a ball exactly where they desired to shoot it for example? If you aimed a shot at the same point in the goal again and again, I highly doubt you'd always hit the target with the exact amount of power you intended, there's always some natural variation to it. Sometimes, that variation results in the ball going into the goal, sometimes it goes out. A more skilled player will more likely score a goal as a result of a lower natural variation in the shot, but its entirely possible that even with the lower natural variation he still misses. Its entirely possible for a team to have more better quality chances in a game and have the more skillful players, but still lose the game due to unlucky natural variation. 

What we can try to do is increase the amount of quality chances we do have so that even if we were unlucky in one chance, we still have another chance to score. We can be unlucky as much as we want, but if we have a boat load of good chances, chances are we'll score eventually. That's what I take the phrase making your own luck to mean, having so many chances that eventually you get lucky, or you end up with a chance where you essentially 100% will score from,(although do people still miss sitters).

Of course, it does make it hard to decipher whether a team which fails to score despite having lots of chances is unlucky or are poor up front but it being hard to decipher from an outside observer's point of view does not mean there is no distinction between them.

Not really related to the Palace comment, just the making your own luck thing although I do personally think we got wrecked by Palace too.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

12 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Luiz is an amazing player and it's finding where to play him and how to utilize him correctly. The only way we find how to utilise him properly is by playing him and see where he fits, Smith has to take a gamble on playing him in different positions and see where he's the biggest threat. I think Luiz would be a fantastic cover player for Grealish, he has all that ability and more to be Jacks replacement and think he should be tried on the left, trouble is when Jack is back how best to utilise Luiz, sub for Jack if Jack isn't doing the business is not so crazy In my eyes.

No

• Confused 1

Â