Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I completely agree “ get us up this season” should be dead, no question.

I don’t agree that “ get us in the Play Offs “ is unreasonable - for the same reason I didn’t think it was an acceptable goal or cause for praise for Bruce.......it really isn’t asking a lot.

Regardless of us being a couple of players short at the back there is still talent a plenty in the squad....

And Bruce has fixed us hasn’t he ? We aren’t the basket case he inherited, surely ? The mentality, the Winning Away, the scoring late goals, the character ? That’s not all disappeared down the plug hole despite what some ( @TRO seems to think so, in a most ironic turnaround !).....

Im afraid I would see an ambition of no more than preparing for Promotion NEXT year as profoundly disappointing. I have no figures on the subject, but I suspect I’m not the only one.

In fact, in the Promotion thread, some are arguing a tilt at Top 2 is still on. Whilst I think that’s too much ( needing more than 2 Points per game) I have more empathy with that view than the idea that the best we should aim for is 7 th

There' two different things. I don't think we'll get promoted this season. That's absolutely NOT the same as me saying or thinking "it's unreasonable to try or want to". It's my personal expectation (view) that we'll not make it. It is also my expectation (demand) that we damn well try.

Bruce has neither fixed nor ruined us. In his first few weeks he sorted out a porous defence, got us steady. Then he got other coaches in, got players in by the load in the first January. Not much improved.

Last season we started badly, got better - loads of team spirit and character, and then inexplicable capitulations and then just missing out through defensive football and a dodgy ref at Wembley. This season he screwed up royally with recruitment and departures, harmed team spirit and morale, and while trying to implement a new style of play got caught between two stools and also didn't know his best team - plot fully lost, really. So we're now a mid table team, with some real weaknesses and some major strengths, but IMO a team that lets in so many goals as we do will not get anywhere near going up. We have no decent goalkeeper, no decent left back, one centre half and a promising loanee. That just isn't promotion material.

By all means aim to win the league, but realistically I don't remotely expect promotion, or being in the play off final.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What concern me the most is our lack of centre backs. 

We have Chester, Tuanzebe and who else? Jedinak....

Why the f*** did we let Elphick go? Total senseless

We have Jacob Bedeau too, don’t forget

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Well of course its the players, they play the game......under the tutelage of SB, so he is at fault overall.

you have already conceded, that i have changed my opinion.....thats why i wanted him gone in the end.

For me ,the resilience of containing games and defending winning positions is not there this season, like it was last.

The same players may well respond to Dean Smiths approach.....but its them that will get us the results we crave...   or we will see if they really are what we think they are.

its difficult to seperate the 2.......managers and players are in it together.....i guess replacing the manager is easier than replacing a squad of players.....no he had to go.

However, I mean ....it was whelan that struck that penalty like a girl ....not the manager.....but the manager, sets the tone of the whole thing and maybe responsible for him taking it.

I am not saying its the players and not the manager......but some of them are not blameless.

I hope that is clear.

I admire your clarity and honesty. I say that in all sincerity. 

• Thanks 1

Have you all gone mad? Not to expect promotion? Not even expect play-off position? 3 years? League One? Really? Dean must be given time, I agree 100%. And yes, the squad is stupidly unbalanced. However, this squad contains more talent and quality than most squads in the history of the championship. In my view, not even reaching the play-off will be a major failure. And if someone thinks that our owners do not expect DS to get this right (As is challenging for promotion) THIS SEASON I think you will be surprised. Give him time and patience, yes. Not to expect challenging for and reaching promotion - getouttahere. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hughes said:

Have you all gone mad? Not to expect promotion? Not even expect play-off position? 3 years? League One? Really? Dean must be given time, I agree 100%. And yes, the squad is stupidly unbalanced. However, this squad contains more talent and quality than most squads in the history of the championship. In my view, not even reaching the play-off will be a major failure. And if someone thinks that our owners do not expect DS to get this right (As is challenging for promotion) THIS SEASON I think you will be surprised. Give him time and patience, yes. Not to expect challenging for and reaching promotion - getouttahere. 

Hey fuggedaboutit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rubberman said:

I think this'll be good. Happy that JT is part of this - he had such a huge impact last season and I think will have the humility to want to learn from Dean. 

Hoping that JT will also give the quick uplift before Dean's plans kick in. 

Fixtures coming up may be harder than we've failed at so far, but we shouldn't fear anyone and I hope we don't from here on. Top 2 by Xmas please. 

Sadly that's a ridiculous expectation. We have one centre back and even he's not that good without an experienced capable centre back alongside him. And the less said about our keepers the better.

Anyone on the bosman free market is still there for a reason.

These unrealistic expectations will see Dean being booed within three weeks.

1 hour ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

The main thing I think he'll be looking to do first is making us bloody fitter and using the ball a hell of a lot better than we currently are.

Really looking to seeing little changes over the coming months.

Seeing how he had Brentford working I would say our players should just start with the extra fitness training now ahead of time if they want to get picked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We have Jacob Bedeau too, don’t forget

I agree with this ....I believe Bedeau is ready for the first team ....I have no doubt at all.  Bedau and Chester would be the best CB pairing at the club, at least until January!

Edited by westholmevillan
Spelling

13 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

I agree with this ....I believe Bedeau is ready for the first team ....I have no doubt at all.  Bedau and Chester would be the best CB pairing at the club, at least until January!

I don’t know if this is sarcasm or not, he is a very good talent 

This is a top interview with a Brentford supporter who gives a great breakdown on the style of soccer we should expect to see, and the type of man and manager we now have. It's 30 minutes long, but it's a great listen:

30 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Sadly that's a ridiculous expectation. We have one centre back and even he's not that good without an experienced capable centre back alongside him. And the less said about our keepers the better.

Anyone on the bosman free market is still there for a reason.

These unrealistic expectations will see Dean being booed within three weeks.

I thought Tuanzabe was a centre back? You lot need to make your mind up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hughes said:

I think if we were prepared to give Bruce a preseaon, then that's the least we can do for Smith. You can only address so much in Jan squad wise. I expect to see us over the next couple of months blowing hot and cold results wise whilst the players get used to actual tactical preparation and weird shit like that and passing and craziness.

Playoffs has to be the aim. But if he doesn’t make it then at the very least we need to see considerable improvement in how we play and signs that it will only get better following a preseason.  

Not making playoffs wouldnt be a failure but with so much of the season to go it would be crazy for it to not be the target for the season.

Â