Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I've suspected that there are some bad apples in the squad and  I have been told there are some.nkt surprisingly really.

I have to say despite the farce of bruce he did know how to build team morale. I remember when we beat Sheffield United 1-0 At brammal lane last year. That celebration showed a United front.havent Seen that that much this year.

I think Snodgrass a s Terry really were the glue last year. Big loss both of them.

Who in your opinion are the probable bad apples in the squad?

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Sadly it goes back further than that Andy. Who could forget Djemba Djemba a player so bad they named him twice? And who was that Croatian, I think he was, who cost us something like £500k per game he played? I think he was another David “they’re an honest bunch of lads” O’Leary signing. Of course MON was far from blameless, I’m sure we could all make a long list of his recruitments and probably equally, if not more significant, departures that were absolutely disastrous. 

but even he, could find a centre Half and a good one for c 3 mill

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think it is a time to be patient.

I am happy that we are going for this young and hungry approach now.

If we look at the under 23's they play some very good football. I think one of the few factors is because they are coachable, eager to learn and hungry.

We lack that in our squad, our better players are the younger ones.

Who remembers that away victory at Anfield in 2012?

This was the team that took all three points.

9vicgh.png

6 of those players came from our Academy and there is not one 30 year old in that starting 11. The issue that we had was a lack of quality and depth however that team kept us up that season.

That back four was under 25..  Nathan Baker 19,  Ciaran Clark 21/22,  Eric Lichaj 22 & Matt Lowton 22.

I just feel that younger players have more energy and enthusiasm to win and develop.

I feel that it has to be a priority to build from our Academy and sign more younger players across that park.

I am looking forward to a rebuild that is done properly this time. 

Unfortunately we only won 9 other games that season and finished 5 points off relegation with a goal difference of -22.

So maybe not the best advert for “young and hungry” after all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Who in your opinion are the probable bad apples in the squad?

Everyone expect the Youth, Mcginn, Grealish and Tammy, the tree is rotting and needs chopping down lol.

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

There is something fundamentally wrong at this football club.

And yet we managed to get into a play off final as recent as last season, sorry but i don't buy it.

Bruce left us in a defensive mess this season, that should be sorted in the summer. Next season top 6 should be a minimum requirement, i'm not joining this lowering expectation train some fans on here have bought a ticket for. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

And yet we managed to get into a play off final as recent as last season, sorry but i don't buy it.

Bruce left us in a defensive mess this season, that should be sorted in the summer. Next season top 6 should be a minimum requirement, i'm not joining this lowering expectation train some fans on here have bought a ticket for. 

Nobody with any connection to villa is suggesting otherwise. I've not seen a single post doing what you're saying.

We're aiming for playoffs this season (but need an improvement asap).

Edited by praisedmambo

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

and then nearly went into administration...expectations have to be lowered and the fact that we're not fighting relegation now is a miracle and a testament to good work done in the summer in a very short period of time. we have no idea what's going to happen this summer, or what resources we will have (to keep in line with FFP), but i cant believe for a minute we're going to replace tammy and jack (who will be leaving) with players anywhere near their quality. i hate to say it, if you're expecting top 6 next season, you're going to be disappointed

Just now, tomav84 said:

and then nearly went into administration...expectations have to be lowered and the fact that we're not fighting relegation now is a miracle and a testament to good work done in the summer in a very short period of time. we have no idea what's going to happen this summer, or what resources we will have (to keep in line with FFP), but i cant believe for a minute we're going to replace tammy and jack (who will be leaving) with players anywhere near their quality. i hate to say it, if you're expecting top 6 next season, you're going to be disappointed

For different reasons - I agree - the road ahead looks a bit grim to me. 

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Most of the squad stayed the same though.

We miss Johnstone, an aging Terry and Snodgrass. Out of those 3 Johnstone is probably the biggest miss. Terry was injured for decent portions of the season and i don't remember our defense falling apart during that period. Snoddy had decent spells, but he weren't consistent during the whole season.

Being 7 points off 6th with this squad is underachieving, i don't care what anyone says, we're better than where were at.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We miss Johnstone, an aging Terry and Snodgrass. Out of those 3 Johnstone is probably the biggest miss. Terry was injured for decent portions of the season and i don't remember our defense falling apart during that period. Snoddy had decent spells, but he weren't consistent during the whole season.

Being 7 points off 6th with this squad is underachieving, i don't care what anyone says, we're better than where were at.

I 100% agree this squad is underachieving. and i dont think anyone expected us to be in this bad a position position in late Jan when smith took over, and certainly not after the derby and boro wins. the last 4 games have, unfortunately, killed our promotion hopes (barring a miracle) and the summer will need to be a total rebuild therefore i stand by my statement that we need to lower expectations for next year as the squad will be massively different

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think you’re underestimating the impact Johnstone, Snodgrass, Terry and most importantly Jack had last season. 

Before Jack returned we were 7th last season. Had he been out all season we wouldn’t have even made playoffs let alone get to the final. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

100% This!

This current squad, despite its deficiencies is still more than good enough to be in the top 6 in the Championship.

I'm sick of reading Smith has been dealt a poor hand with regards to the players he has inherited. I think some fans think we are in the Premier League when looking at our squad. The Championship is shite and this team of players is massively under achieving, whether that is down to their attitude or the manger is crap. I'm not sure. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you’re underestimating the impact Johnstone, Snodgrass, Terry and most importantly Jack had last season. 

Before Jack returned we were 7th last season. Had he been out all season we wouldn’t have even made playoffs let alone get to the final. 

It's not attacking wise that is a problem this season, because we are top 2 in that department. It's defense that is our issue.

And as i said, last season we didn't fall apart when Terry was out injured, the back 4 remained defensive solid. The likes of Elmo, Chester and Hutton played much better defensively last season. And why? I think it's down to coaching.

Johnstone is a HUGE miss, that's undeniable. Nyland been a disaster and Kalinic haven't impressed. The keeper situation is just dire at the moment, Steer has actually looked better than both of them and we should consider Steer as a 1st option if Kalinic doesn't improve.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not attacking wise that is a problem this season, because we are top 2 in that department. It's defense that is our issue.

And as i said, last season we didn't fall apart when Terry was out injured, the back 4 remained defensive solid. The likes of Elmo, Chester and Hutton played much better defensively last season. And why? I think it's down to coaching.

Johnstone is a HUGE miss, that's undeniable. Nyland been a disaster and Kalinic haven't impressed. The keeper situation is just dire at the moment, Steer has actually looked better than both of them and we should consider Steer as a 1st option if Kalinic doesn't improve.

These keepers can't be judged with this defence. Put Nyland or Kalinic into last seasons team, where we defended with 11 men and had Terry leading the line, who was clearly the best defender in the league by a country mile, they would also be classed as a HUGE miss. It wasn't the keeper that was so good last season but the defence. Enckleman could of been classed as a great keeper in that team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I 100% agree this squad is underachieving. and i dont think anyone expected us to be in this bad a position position in late Jan when smith took over, and certainly not after the derby and boro wins. the last 4 games have, unfortunately, killed our promotion hopes (barring a miracle) and the summer will need to be a total rebuild therefore i stand by my statement that we need to lower expectations for next year as the squad will be massively different

Without doubt the expectation next year will be to push for promotion. As it always will be with a club the size of ours that is underachieving. 

Â