Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

The Portsmouth manager reportedly said that Villa wanted Green back in part to assist with a homegrown quota the club are looking to have.

I'm wondering if that is something we just told them to make them feel better to be honest. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Disjointed and thread bare defence; unfortunate goalkeeping experience (and I think not all Nyland’s fault); fitness of new players and loaners getting up to speed; but most of all a necessary change in flaying system and injuries to key players when we were finally in the groove. Give Smith a chance, he needs a fair run and the chance to overhaul the defence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Disjointed and thread bare defence; unfortunate goalkeeping experience (and I think not all Nyland’s fault); fitness of new players and loaners getting up to speed; but most of all a necessary change in flaying system and injuries to key players when we were finally in the groove. Give Smith a chance, he needs a fair run and the chance to overhaul the defence.

The way some of these players are playing I am all for a flaying system. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The Portsmouth manager reportedly said that Villa wanted Green back in part to assist with a homegrown quota the club are looking to have.

I don't think it's what the club is looking to have, it's a requirement from the league. Need at least 7 homegrown players in matchday squad and at least one trained by club. 

Edited by holteend1982

59 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Image result for pacquiao

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Top 6 bare minimum for me.

Bruce Didn't achieve top 6 in his first season and he was excused because the team was a mess, Smith has inherited worse. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

A underperforming squad won't change my opinion on anything other than a top 6 finish will be a failure.

Wow. So you acknowledge the squad is poor but anything less than top 6 is a failure? 

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

Wow, Smith out campaign already. Have you lost your minds, what exactly are you expecting?

See above 😂

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said when he joined that I didn’t expect anything this season.  But if he is backed in the summer then I think we should expext top 2 next season. Anything else is a failure.

Bruce was dealt the same hand

Edit: what I meant was Bruce had the same expectations placed on him. Smith should to in my opinion.

If Smith gets the same resources as Bruce then I would agree, but come the summer half the squad are out of contract and rest are shit. 

For me Smith has a much bigger rebuild than Bruce faced and will need at least as much financial backing to complete it. 

Of course he will be under pressure to deliver results but when setting targets and accessing expectations I think it's wise to apply context to size of the task at hand. 

Edited by av1

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

If Smith gets the same resources as Bruce then I would agree, but come the summer half the squad are out of contract and rest are shit. 

For me Smith has a much bigger rebuild than Bruce faced and will need at least as much financial backing to complete it. 

Of course he will be under pressure to deliver results but when setting targets and accessing expectations I think it's wise to apply context to size of the task at hand. 

Ok at least top 6 then surely!

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok at least top 6 then surely!

Yep I'd agree with that providing he is allowed to rebuild the squad. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yep I'd agree with that providing he is allowed to rebuild the squad. 

Oh he’ll do a rebuild. Just look at the amount of players he signed in his time at Walsall and Brentford. 

Im pretty sure he will know what he wants. My concern is will the players be good enough. You can get away with dodgy signings at his two previous clubs. It’s a whole new kettle of fish at the Villa. 

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Agree we may struggle to hold onto McGinn as well.

Both on long contracts, why would it be a struggle? I'm assuming McGinn was aware of our situation when he signed, I doubt he joined on the proviso that we go straight up.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh he’ll do a rebuild. Just look at the amount of players he signed in his time at Walsall and Brentford. 

Im pretty sure he will know what he wants. My concern is will the players be good enough. You can get away with dodgy signings at his two previous clubs. It’s a whole new kettle of fish at the Villa. 

Agreed. I'm a big supporter of Smith but I acknowledge that it's difficult to judge his transfer activity given Brentfords methods of recruitment. 

Time will tell I guess. 

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Both on long contracts, why would it be a struggle? I'm assuming McGinn was aware of our situation when he signed, I doubt he joined on the proviso that we go straight up.

I’d sell him if we got big money and reinvested it. 

At the moment we have one or two 8+ out of 10s and the rest are 4 or 5s. 

We need a team of 7s. 

It would be great to struggle to pick man of the match as they all had a decent game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

A struggle in terms if someone came in for him (McGinn) that would be too good to turn down etc. I think is the main concern.

Fwiw atleast we would get around £60m+ for both Jack and John if the worst were to happen.

The bigger concern for me is the money is spanked building a squad of mediocore shite.

Â