Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d sell him if we got big money and reinvested it. 

At the moment we have one or two 8+ out of 10s and the rest are 4 or 5s. 

We need a team of 7s. 

It would be great to struggle to pick man of the match as they all had a decent game. 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A struggle in terms if someone came in for him (McGinn) that would be too good to turn down etc. I think is the main concern.

Fwiw atleast we would get around £60m+ for both Jack and John if the worst were to happen.

The bigger concern for me is the money is spanked building a squad of mediocore shite.

Yeah I can see the big money angle, but then that is worst case a shedload of cash to reinvest. Personally, if the owners have sorted us out financially, I would look to build something around those two. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh he’ll do a rebuild. Just look at the amount of players he signed in his time at Walsall and Brentford. 

Im pretty sure he will know what he wants. My concern is will the players be good enough. You can get away with dodgy signings at his two previous clubs. It’s a whole new kettle of fish at the Villa. 

Well, if we're not doing Richards like levels of wages on shite, and if our scouting network is up to the job, as with the holy Jesus, then doign the sort of recruitment Zeman used to do I reckon is the order of the day. Instead of a couple of players at their peak, get 6 that are promising enough to make it, maybe only 2 do, but then they pay for the outlay on the 6 you got and the other 4 can be released. Less pressure on all of them when they first come too. If it's true we are buying younger etc etc. then that's what we'll be doing. I'm all for it.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well, if we're not doing Richards like levels of wages on shite, and if our scouting network is up to the job, as with the holy Jesus, then doign the sort of recruitment Zeman used to do I reckon is the order of the day. Instead of a couple of players at their peak, get 6 that are promising enough to make it, maybe only 2 do, but then they pay for the outlay on the 6 you got and the other 4 can be released. Less pressure on all of them when they first come too. If it's true we are buying younger etc etc. then that's what we'll be doing. I'm all for it.

I’m for it too I just hope the fans accept that not every young signing will be a Mcginn and others will take time.

You can tell Smith wants players that are comfortable on the ball and in good shape. Plus attitude is very important to him. I’m excited to see who he brings in. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Yeah I can see the big money angle, but then that is worst case a shedload of cash to reinvest. Personally, if the owners have sorted us out financially, I would look to build something around those two. 

True, but if I'm Jack Grealish I would sooner ply my trade alongside Erikson, Kane, Ali &, Son in the Champions League rather than players like Macaulay Southam-Hayles and Elvis Hammond like players.

He has gave us one last season out of loyalty and no one can begrudge him a move if we do not go up this season.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said when he joined that I didn’t expect anything this season.  But if he is backed in the summer then I think we should expext top 2 next season. Anything else is a failure.

Bruce was dealt the same hand. 

Edit: what I meant was Bruce had the same expectations placed on him. Smith should to in my opinion.

Apart from the fact Bruce had a budget and Smith won’t and will have to unearth some lower division gems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Then why doesn't DS adapt his tactics and play to their strengths instead of their weaknesses?

Because if we did that we wouldn't be playing attacking football at all, we would be back to bruce tactics, that's what they are suited to and seem to enjoy most of all.

32 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Because if we did that we wouldn't be playing attacking football at all, we would be back to bruce tactics, that's what they are suited to and seem to enjoy most of all.

Well, we're not playing attacking football anymore. We did, but then something happened, and he seems to be sitting on his hands ever since.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave-R said:
14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Then why doesn't DS adapt his tactics and play to their strengths instead of their weaknesses?

Because if we did that we wouldn't be playing attacking football at all

You don't have to play a possession based style in order to play attacking football.

Leicester won the prem with an average of 40 % possession.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, but if I'm Jack Grealish I would sooner ply my trade alongside Erikson, Kane, Ali &, Son in the Champions League rather than players like Macaulay Southam-Hayles and Elvis Hammond like players.

He has gave us one last season out of loyalty and no one can begrudge him a move if we do not go up this season.

Depends, it's not happened in the UK for a bit I spose (maybe Bully the last one?) but it's not THAT mental for someone to stick with his boyhood club, it's not like if Smith + Grealish does produce the great footy we saw before he got injured that he's not going to be enjoying being our very own claret and blue roy of the rovers. Growing up a villan, being managed by a villan, wearing kit designed by a villan, being the key man, getting promoted, it's the stuff of dreams right? I'd have given my right nut, no both my nuts, and probably both of yours for that growing up....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

I don't think it's what the club is looking to have, it's a requirement from the league. Need at least 7 homegrown players in matchday squad and at least one trained by club. 

makes sense with Jack injured, Hepburn-Murphy on loan and Davis fitness is patchy

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Depends, it's not happened in the UK for a bit I spose (maybe Bully the last one?) but it's not THAT mental for someone to stick with his boyhood club, it's not like if Smith + Grealish does produce the great footy we saw before he got injured that he's not going to be enjoying being our very own claret and blue roy of the rovers. Growing up a villan, being managed by a villan, wearing kit designed by a villan, being the key man, getting promoted, it's the stuff of dreams right? I'd have given my right nut, no both my nuts, and probably both of yours for that growing up....

You weren't offered the thick end of 100 grand a week to do a slightly different version of it for someone else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh he’ll do a rebuild. Just look at the amount of players he signed in his time at Walsall and Brentford. 

Im pretty sure he will know what he wants. My concern is will the players be good enough. You can get away with dodgy signings at his two previous clubs. It’s a whole new kettle of fish at the Villa. 

He signed 2 players for Brentford Sawyers and Henry the others were either already there or brought in by our DoFs.Look at where a lot of our players were playing before signing 6 of our starting line up yesterday were from abroad.Not knocking Dean as I think he’s a good coach and the players loved him 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

He signed 2 players for Brentford Sawyers and Henry the others were either already there or brought in by our DoFs.Look at where a lot of our players were playing before signing 6 of our starting line up yesterday were from abroad.Not knocking Dean as I think he’s a good coach and the players loved him 

He must have had input on the players signed by the DOFs though?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You don't have to play a possession based style in order to play attacking football.

Leicester won the prem with an average of 40 % possession.

If smith changes his approach to suit the players strengths it will be 10 men behind the ball sitting deep and it hitting on the break. I don’t think he should change his whole philosophy and the way wants to play the game after a few bad results. 

Its disappointing to see a fan suggest he do that. 

But as somebody mentioned already your own posts are contradicting each other and whilst I hate using this word,  they are bordering trolling. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He must have had input on the players signed by the DOFs though?

They signed a good few Danish players like Bjelland, Dahlsgaard and Vibe and few more which I imagine came from DOF

Deano is our man, let him have his players and see where were at. Were not suddenly gonna turn into a total football ajax team over night. Results have been frustrating of late i admit, but as mentioned earlier i dont want to see smith changing his style to suit the cloggers we have. The men at the top have put there trust in smith to guide us back to where we belong, and after saving us in the summer the very least we owe them is to get behind the man they appointed to steer this big ship in the right direction. UTV

• Like 1

As much as i hate to bring wolves into this, they have severely improved in every way, it took them along time to get to the state they are inz all while it also took along time to get to the state were in. The difference is wolves players go out there and give it there all, they are ambitous at the moment and are steam rolling the premiere for a second season up there. Our team compared to most is like a bunch of empty battery that won't or can't recharge, our players need to liven themselves up more they look dead most of the time compared to other teams.

I think with so many contracts possibly going up in smoke, things are that unsettled, maybe to settle things more get round all these players and tell them what is going to happen with them, it's probably the uncertainty that's driving them nuts. personally I only want to see grealish and Mcginn next season out of our lot we have, but no doubt some contracts will be lengthened to keep personal has high as possible until they can be traded away. The sad thing is apart from Mcginn and Grealish the only other two who mite bring a fee would be kodjia and Adomah. Id be very surprised if we get anything close to what we paid for hogan, shot ourselves in the foot with that signing. No one is going to want any of our lousy defenders from this league or above and our midfield, the only ones who mite fetch abit is bjarnason,hourihane a d that won't be much. It is a sorry state of affairs that back in the 90s we expected our players to go for a few million and if lucky more, but in this day we can't even get next to most for most of our squad. It makes me sad to see we have that many players who see little worth in themselves that they know time is up soon for them yet they don't seem to want to play there hearts out for our club, even if its to raise there own worth so other clubs mite buy them if they are put up for sale would be something.

I am with Smith all the way, I'm prepared to give him as many seasons as it takes a I am fed up with sacking managers only to repeat this same crap over and over. Yes some managers deserve to go because they could not get the job done,  but I'm prepared under Smith to give him fiver years if needed to get this rite.

Give Smith the players he needs to overwrite this team and stop getting on his back, it's ridiculous because it's our players who can't complete there duties. Bringing in 10 managers or more with these players of ours will yield the same results where they go on a run then completely mess up. Idont think there is any getting these players of ours to do a run away with the league title, I just get bad vibes from our squad it needs erasing and rebooting I think and Smith needs time to be wble to get a new team together..

Edited by Dave-R

Â