Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:
2 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Nobody with any connection to villa is suggesting otherwise. I've not seen a single post doing what you're saying.

Next season top 6 should be a minimum requirement, i'm not joining this lowering expectation train some fans on here have bought a ticket for. 

Apart from the very bloke you have quoted. 

On 20/01/2019 at 07:41, villalad21 said:

Think we will finish 13th.

If they decide to give DS more time top 6 next season is an absolute minimum, if not the club is too big for him and he need to go.

On 20/01/2019 at 14:25, villalad21 said:

Don't think we will challenge for top 6 next season either.

Too many problems at this club.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

What i think have nothing to do with what the expectation of the club should be.

You've said there are too many problems at the club to finish top 6, yet you demand top 6. Genius

You seem to contradict yourself on a regular basis. It's a gift. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What i think have nothing to do with what the expectation of the club should be.

No but expectation can only be based on the state of the club. 

In one post you say we won't finish top 6 because there are to many problems at the club, 7 hours after determining that failure to finish in the top 6 proves that the job is to big for Smith. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You've said there are too many problems at the club to finish top 6, yet you demand top 6. Genius

You seem to contradict yourself on a regular basis. It's a gift. 

It all depends what will be done in the summer.

I also think we don't have the right manager to take us forward, and have said that a manager like Allardyce or Pulis would do much better with this team. With the squad last season and DS in charge i think we would finish around 10th.

You will always get those exeptional Boro and Derby wins under DS, but you will also get all those 2-2 draws because of his naive approach which will ultimately place us mid table.

Edited by villalad21

22 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Without doubt the expectation next year will be to push for promotion. As it always will be with a club the size of ours that is underachieving. 

out of interest, what do you propose is the best strategy to make that push next season, working on the assumption that jack will be leaving and we do not have limitless room in FFP for spending? more loans of 29 year olds for 70k a week each that couldnt give a monkeys about the club?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't see any reason why the playoffs, and therefore promotion, shouldn't be the objective this season. 

Whether we'll get it or not is another question.

This season we need to have a real go for promotion! This is likely to be our last decent shot at it for a few seasons I fear.

Dean Smith's appointment as manager is going to be a pivotal moment in Aston Villa history, one way or the other. We could lose all "these experienced" old players and the result being next season we end up with players from the Irish League 1, League One, League Two or from some sub par european division. We could turn profit on a few players which would be against the grain and business model that we currently operate. If it all goes wrong we can end up with a major rebuilding process of the entire team which could cement our place in the lower leagues for the foreseeable.

For every negative theres a positive.

We could sign these cheap players, turn over millions of profit on players, and get promoted. Dean Smith becomes Villa Park legend. 

Either way Smith is going to have a direct impact on Aston Villa like none before him.....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It all depends what will be done in the summer.

I also think we don't have the right manager to take us forward, and have said that a manager like Allardyce or Pulis would do much better with this team. With the squad last season and DS in charge i think we would finish around 10th.

So just to Clarify.  

You think Smith would have finished 10th with last season's squad but will finish 13th with this one? So you acknowledge that last season's squad was better?

So with a poorer squad of players failure to get into the top 6 shows the job is too big for Smith, even though Bruce only finished 6th with a better team. 

My heads hurting. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

o just to Clarify.  

You think Smith would have finished 10th with last season's squad but will finish 13th with this one? So you acknowledge that last season's squad was better?

So with a poorer squad of players failure to get into the top 6 shows the job is too big for Smith, even though Bruce only finished 6th with a better team. 

I never said this squad is better. I have said there isn't much of a difference in quality.

I just think DS is a mid table manager with a naive approach. I also don't think the squad is suited for a manager like DS, really is a big misfit.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just think DS is a mid table manager with a naive approach. I also don't think the squad is suited for a manager like DS, really is a big misfit.

Conversely you think that a team full of midgets scared of their own shadows are suited to a Pulls or Allardyce team?

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Conversely you think that a team full of midgets scared of their own shadows are suited to a Pulls or Allardyce team?

That's what you think they are?

Our squad is pretty much a Steve Bruce team and this style DS have installed in them doesn't suit them. A manager like Pulis or Allardyce would get better results with this team whether you like it or not.

Just now, villalad21 said:

We have about 3 players over 6ft and yes half the team are guttless cowards. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A manager like Pulis or Allardyce would get better results with this team whether you like it or not.

Absolute nonsense. We have no fight in midfield (McGinn aside), our defence is physically weak and we have no full backs or wingers that can cross the ball. 

I'd question how much you have seen of Pulls/Allardyce teams if you think either would suit our squad. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

We have about 3 players over 6ft and yes half the team are guttless cowards. 

Absolute nonsense. We have no fight in midfield (McGinn aside), our defence is physically weak and we have no full backs or wingers that can cross the ball. 

I'd question how much you have seen of Pulls/Allardyce teams if you think either would suit our squad. 

I don't think it's nonsense at all. 

Smith is (or should be) the better choice for the long term. But I don't think it's nonsense at all to suggest that pulis could have come in and gotten more out of the team in the short term.

I would never want him or allardyce, and I'm more than happy to take some short term hurt if it translates into long term gain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Our squad is pretty much a Steve Bruce team and this style DS have installed in them doesn't suit them. A manager like Pulis or Allardyce would get better results with this team whether you like it or not.

steve bruce, by and large, got better results but the football was atrocious and is the reason he was ultimately sacked. he, pulis or big sam wouldnt have lost 3-0 to wigan i'm quite sure...but there's no way they'd have done derby or boro 3-0 away either. and none of them would get us promoted.

DS was bought in to bring a new brand of football to VP and i do agree that he doesnt quite have the team to implement this yet and we're seeing glimpses of personnel changes to fit in with his strategy. binning off bolasie and bringing back green for one (i'm not buying the "bolasie terminated it himself" cobblers...or if he did, he jumped before he was pushed). we all wanted bruce sacked in the end, but why replace him with someone of similar ilk that'll bore us just as much or more, who will sign players for us at the wrong stages of their careers for big contracts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think it's nonsense at all. 

Smith is (or should be) the better choice for the long term. But I don't think it's nonsense at all to suggest that pulis could have come in and gotten more out of the team in the short term.

Have to agree to disagree then mate, I can't think of a collection of players less suited to Tony Pulls. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm more than happy to take some short term hurt if it translates into long term gain.

I think the vast majority of fans expected that under Smith it would be a case of 1 step back in order to potentially take 2/3 steps forward. I just hope the fanbase has the patience for it, the atmosphere in the Holte when we went behind on Saturday concerned me a little. 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Our squad is pretty much a Steve Bruce team and this style DS have installed in them doesn't suit them. 

Bolder dash!!

Villa were playing some fantastic DS pass and move football until Grealish and Tuanzebe were injured.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

steve bruce, by and large, got better results but the football was atrocious and is the reason he was ultimately sacked. he, pulis or big sam wouldnt have lost 3-0 to wigan i'm quite sure...but there's no way they'd have done derby or boro 3-0 away either. and none of them would get us promoted.

DS was bought in to bring a new brand of football to VP and i do agree that he doesnt quite have the team to implement this yet and we're seeing glimpses of personnel changes to fit in with his strategy. binning off bolasie and bringing back green for one (i'm not buying the "bolasie terminated it himself" cobblers...or if he did, he jumped before he was pushed). we all wanted bruce sacked in the end, but why replace him with someone of similar ilk that'll bore us just as much or more, who will sign players for us at the wrong stages of their careers for big contracts?

Because it makes more sense based on our squads, most of them aren't good on the ball.

It would be less of a rebuilding job as it will be with DS as a headcoach. We probably have to ship ou 7-8 players and get replacements in to suit his style, and that's easier said than done.

With Allardyce or Pulis we could keep doing what we were doing, we made it do the play off final last season. The plan was good before and it is good again imo.

Just now, striker said:

Villa were playing some fantastic DS pass and move football until Grealish and Tuanzebe were injured.

Yes and without them we fall apart in this style of football, so the majority of the players don't suit the style.

58 minutes ago, av1 said:

No but expectation can only be based on the state of the club. 

In one post you say we won't finish top 6 because there are to many problems at the club, 7 hours after determining that failure to finish in the top 6 proves that the job is to big for Smith. 

I would have thought it obvious that he means  there are problems which aren't being addressed. 

Edited by hippo

Â