Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Have we had network since O'Neill left and Smith arrived?

Going by 3/4 of the shite we've signed in that time I assume we havn't.

Sadly it goes back further than that Andy. Who could forget Djemba Djemba a player so bad they named him twice? And who was that Croatian, I think he was, who cost us something like £500k per game he played? I think he was another David “they’re an honest bunch of lads” O’Leary signing. Of course MON was far from blameless, I’m sure we could all make a long list of his recruitments and probably equally, if not more significant, departures that were absolutely disastrous. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Sadly it goes back further than that Andy. Who could forget Djemba Djemba a player so bad they named him twice? And who was that Croatian, I think he was, who cost us something like £500k per game he played? I think he was another David “they’re an honest bunch of lads” O’Leary signing. Of course MON was far from blameless, I’m sure we could all make a long list of his recruitments and probably equally, if not more significant, departures that were absolutely disastrous. 

Valcav Drobney :crylaugh:

..and another of his relentless pursuits in Mathieu Berson, who only played around 10 or so games for us.

Carlton Cole being amongst the worst.

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Valcav Drobney :crylaugh:

..and another of his relentless pursuits in Mathieu Berson, who only played around 10 or so games for us.

Carlton Cole being amongst the worst.

Stop it I’m reaching for the bottle!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Bosko Balaban?

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

and another of his relentless pursuits in Mathieu Berson, who only played around 10 or so games for us.

I was so disappointed he never made it, really had high hopes for that fella. I'd say most of those 10 games were only short cameos from the bench as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That was the £6m signing from the John Gregory years

Back when £6m was a fair old chunk of money. 

16 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think it is a time to be patient.

I am happy that we are going for this young and hungry approach now.

If we look at the under 23's they play some very good football. I think one of the few factors is because they are coachable, eager to learn and hungry.

We lack that in our squad, our better players are the younger ones.

Who remembers that away victory at Anfield in 2012?

This was the team that took all three points.

9vicgh.png

6 of those players came from our Academy the rest of that team and not one 30 year old in that starting 11. The issue that we had was a lack of quality and depth however that team kept us up that season.

That back four was under 25..  Nathan Baker 19,  Ciaran Clark 21/22,  Eric Lichaj 22 & Matt Lowton 22.

I just feel that younger players have more energy and enthusiasm to win and develop.

I feel that it has to be a priority to build from our Academy and sign more younger players across that park.

I am looking forward to a rebuild that is done properly this time. 

Christ that was a truly awful first team? Bar Benteke I think our current team is better.

Lambert really was hung out to dry by Lerner, I know many disagree but Lambert did pretty well with what he had.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Christ that was a truly awful first team? Bar Benteke I think our current team is better.

Lambert really was hung out to dry by Lerner, I know many disagree but Lambert did pretty well with what he had.

I think that he proved that it was less about big names and more about hard work and application.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I agreed at the time and I agree now. We had some fans turn viciously against him even though he was completely screwed by Lerner. We should be more patient with (some of) our managers.

• Like 1

I've suspected that there are some bad apples in the squad and  I have been told there are some.nkt surprisingly really.

I have to say despite the farce of bruce he did know how to build team morale. I remember when we beat Sheffield United 1-0 At brammal lane last year. That celebration showed a United front.havent Seen that that much this year.

I think Snodgrass a s Terry really were the glue last year. Big loss both of them.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've suspected that there are some bad apples in the squad and  I have been told there are some.nkt surprisingly really.

I have to say despite the farce of bruce he did know how to build team morale. I remember when we beat Sheffield United 1-0 At brammal lane last year. That celebration showed a United front.havent Seen that that much this year.

I think Snodgrass a s Terry really were the glue last year. Big loss both of them.

I loved and really miss the togetherness that we had last season. Some of our wins and performances were solely down to that team spirit and togetherness. Even when things weren't going our way we still had hope and optimism because of it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I agreed at the time and I agree now. We had some fans turn viciously against him even though he was completely screwed by Lerner. We should be more patient with (some of) our managers.

Let’s face it, we ruined his career.  Just hope we do not do the same to Smith

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right, the team doesn’t necessarily have to be entirely made up of youngsters, but they still have to have desire regardless of their age. JT would be a good example, he wanted to win every match he ever played in and it mattered to him regardless of what he’d already won.

Gareth Barry....has done well too.

...lets see what Ashley Cole does at Derby

Its more about the right character of player is so important, It comes down to research and due diligence.

• Like 1

Â