Dean Smith

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, i would.

Rodgers or Allardyce would be better options though.

I woukd happily draw 2-2 most weeks than watch another season of Bruceball or worse Allardyce football

10 men behind the ball as if we are minnows. No thanks

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One thing we have seen, and which Dean keeps pointing out.

We consistently get beaten by long balls over the top, and being ran at with pace.

It is another reason why Tuanzebes miss is so highly underrated.

Not only was he bringing the ball out of defense, those long balls over the top were not beating him, and even if they did, he was not getting beaten for pace!

Our defense is WAY too slow, when Tuanzebe made a mistake he also had the pace and strength to make amends.

Major deficiency,

I'm sure the board are trying to help but they need to speed it the f*ck up!

Spot on we lack pace in most positions and have done in all the time we’ve been in the Championship and incredibly didn’t address the problem. The sides that are currently doing well in this division are on the whole packed with young, energetic and pacy players, our squad is just the opposite. 

I’m sure that’s what we’re working towards and I believe the board and recruitment staff are doing all they can, but it’s rarely that simple and not so easy to always move as quickly as we’d like, especially in January. From what I understand the owners are extremely ambitious, but they are also experienced businessmen and won’t sacrifice long term aspirations for short term gains. The club won’t go bust if we’re not promoted, we haven’t gambled the farm like the previous idiots did. 

We've had 10 years of mismanagement, if you can call it management at all. Short term thinking has been followed by even shorter term thinking. This has to stop now, hopefully the owners know this and as a fan base we have to realise it too. You simply can’t change everything that has been so very wrong over at least 10 years, I’m not even going to start considering the Ellis years, but can probably best be summed up as competent but unambitious, overnight. We are now very much at the green roots stage. 

Dean Smith and everyone else who play a part in running the club will need time to sort out the mistakes of the past. They will almost certainly make some new ones of their own along the way. But we need to recognise that this is a project, understand it will take time,  embrace it and get firmly behind it, warts and all. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Last season, Bruce had a style and tactic that he set out from the beginning of the season and that was, not to lose. In addition to this, he would try to get a goal lead and then defend it with his life. Lansbury confirmed that at the start of the season when he said that there would be a lot of 1-0 wins to look forward to - or something like that. 

To be fair to Bruce, that tactic worked well for him but there really seemed to be no plan b. It was dogged defensive display with wingers that acted as wing backs that got us victories. It wasn't too easy on the eye but was largely affective unless we played against good attacking sides and ultimately, that's what cost us promotion. Newcastle have pretty much played he same way in the Premier League this season. 

However, that style was not nice to watch and wasn't sustainable, as shown this season with the losses of Terry and Johnstone. There was no equal replacement for either of them and that's why that system failed so badly from the start of this season. 

Smith's style is far more attractive to watch and there's a few teams applying that style around our league now. However, Farke has employed several German players that he was aware of and Bielsa just seems to scare the shit out of his players to get what he needs from them. Smith hasn't had time to build a team suitable to his style of play and that's what he needs now - time. 

I agree , I’d say the players we have not adapted at all to the system they are being asked to deploy. Mainly they do not have the legs to maintain the pressing DS wants.   

It will be difficult to change overnight. Will he get the time , I’m not so sure.

• Like 1

It seems.that we all want the sort of progressive football Smith wants to play yet some haven't got the patience to allow him to try and implement it. 

The vast majority of our squad are crap, he had 2 blokes that suited his style (Axel and Jack) and with those, and in spite of the rest of the crap he took us on a great run against some of the best teams in the league. Lose those two, left with the shit and it's no surprise results and performances gave been affected. 

I'm still convinced that he is the right man and 3/4 signings will make all the difference. 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

None of them would come to villa. Rafa and Nuno wouldn’t drop down to manage us and Bielsa is commited to Leeds. I really don’t think we should be even talking about new managers just yet. 

I don’t mean those three I mean someone of the same pedigree.  Hopefully it doesn’t matter because Smith is the right manager but if he isn’t then I think the club has to try and do everything in its power to try and entice a manager that’s managed a club this big and the pressure/expectation that comes with it. 

Smith would never have experienced 30k fans showing discontent after no wins in 4 before. It’s a different pressure to what many managers would have experienced.

But yeah we’ll have this conversation if the time comes. 

28 minutes ago, av1 said:

It seems.that we all want the sort of progressive football Smith wants to play yet some haven't got the patience to allow him to try and implement it. 

I said this would happen when he joined. It would be Houllier all over again. After the first few games it looked like I was wrong but after the lose of Axel who could bring the ball forward and Grealish that ran the game. It’s showing the players can’t handle his style.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, i would.

Rodgers or Allardyce would be better options though.

Wow. 

So you'd prefer bruce because dean smith doesn't do defence. 

Yet we concede the same amount under smith. Good logic. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We officially have a fan that would prefer Bruce to Smith. 

Be honest. Did you want Bruce out because he was too defensive?

I was fine with Bruce up until this season, i think we all were.

I didn't want Bruce out because he was too defensive i wanted him out because he seemed to have lost the dressing room. He also seemed to want the sack this season for whatever reason based on the very odd transfer decisions he made.

But yes i would prefer a manager like Bruce that would make us hard to beat to a manager like Smith where we would need to score 2 goals just to get a draw.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

But yes i would prefer a manager like Bruce that would make us hard to beat to a manager like Smith where we would need to score 2 goals just to get a draw.

To be honest I agree with you. But Bruce was leaking the same amount of goals this season and his a defensively minded as the come. So it’s unfair to suggest that will be the Smith approach until he has had a chance to change the players. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I was fine with Bruce up until this season, i think we all were.

I didn't want Bruce out because he was too defensive i wanted him out because he seemed to have lost the dressing room. He also seemed to want the sack this season for whatever reason based on the very odd transfer decisions he made.

Well we weren't hard to beat this season. And we weren't hard to score against. 

And that is what smith has inherited 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well we weren't hard to beat this season. And we weren't hard to score against. 

I'm not arguing about that. But i think the reason for that is more the fact that the players stopped playing for him. That was pretty evident.

If you lose the players you're finished, Mourinho is another proof of that.

I'm not basing my opinion of Bruce based on this season. He will probably do a very good job at Sheffield Wednesday

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I woukd happily draw 2-2 most weeks than watch another season of Bruceball or worse Allardyce football

10 men behind the ball as if we are minnows. No thanks

Let’s hope our new owners don’t share that view.

Edited by briny_ear

Be careful what you wish for!

Giving Dean Smith "time" almost guarantee's no promotion this season. and will guarantee you'll never see Jack Grealish or John McGinn in a Villa shirt ever again after May.

We gave Paul Lambert "time" and he broke club records for biggest thrashing on a weekly basis. 4 years watching 11 bottle jobs,

So what do you want Villa fans?  Another 4 years waiting for the wheels to come off watching Kortney House get skinned by every 2 bit winger in the division?

Or back to the big time?

I know what I want.

Put old soft touch deano back in his comfort zone in the hot seat at some little town in the shires and get a real manager in who scares the living day lights out of those lazy bastards like Bolasie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

Be careful what you wish for!

Giving Dean Smith "time" almost guarantee's no promotion this season. and will guarantee you'll never see Jack Grealish or John McGinn in a Villa shirt ever again after May.

We gave Paul Lambert "time" and he broke club records for biggest thrashing on a weekly basis. 4 years watching 11 bottle jobs,

So what do you want Villa fans?  Another 4 years waiting for the wheels to come off watching Kortney House get skinned by every 2 bit winger in the division?

Or back to the big time?

I know what I want.

Put old soft touch deano back in his comfort zone in the hot seat at some little town in the shires and get a real manager in who scares the living day lights out of those lazy bastards like Bolasie

And which “real” manager that guarantees promotion this season do you want?

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Let’s hope our new owners don’t share that view.

They won't.

They aren't stupid. Football is a result business and if Smith keeps up at this rate he won't be here very long.

What is DS win rate so far?

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

And which “real” manager that guarantees promotion this season do you want?

I only know one manager who guarantees promotion. He did it 4 times you know 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â