Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And yet you said you will be entertained by people defending him if we don't beat ipswich. 

Like i said mixed messages. 

Not really. The fact that i don't  rate him as a coach doesn't mean he don't deserve a full season with a summer and pre season.

That said i don't think we will be challenging for top 6 next season.

Edited by villalad21

18 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Can we have two threads—one for the same people repeating the same things and the other one for new things.

Yes, can we have two threads—one for the same people repeating the same things and the other one for new things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yes, can we have two threads—one for the same people repeating the same things and the other one for new things.

You can say that again.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Nice job taking the post out of context.

The point is DS care much more about scoring goals than defending. And that's pretty clear at all the clubs he's managed. He's defensive records at both Walsall and Brentford is laughable, and i don't see that changing.

If we keep him next season i can see us easily conceding 50+ goals.

And what do you suppose we pay JT for?

10 hours ago, Avcol said:

We've won one game in almost two months. It hasn't worked since the loss of Grealish and Tuanzebe. Maybe he could start a game with a different formation rather than us salvaging a draw once the system has changed. We will begin the next game with the same old team when it's crying out for a bit of a mix up. Players aren't punished for awful performances.

8 points from our last 8 games. We all know the famous Einstein quote. 

Yeah I know the Einstein quote, but it's not as black and white as you paint it. The start of yesterdays game we played well, the shape and tactics were working, however stuff like first touch and short passes started to go south and mistakes led to the first goal and then they went to bis. That's not the tactics or the shape, that's the players losing their heads. I give him credit for sqitchign to the 4-4-2 to chase it even more yesterday, and I've already said I'd like to see some more youth given a chance in various positions, our u23s have been getting some great results. That would mean some pressure for a starting place so the older players don't feel they can have a bad game and still play next time out.

8 points from last 8, yep, before that 2 points a game and some of the best football we've played for years.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not really. The fact that i don't  rate him as a coach doesn't mean he don't deserve a full season with a summer and pre season.

That said i don't think we will be challenging for top 6 next season.

So you think he deserves time. Others think he deserves time. You mock those that think he deserves time.

Great consistency there. Look forward to reading more of your stuff. 

• Like 2

I've not read much of this thread but seen it in hot topics frequently so I would imagine it's ding donging between people saying he's not doing it and people defending him.

I've been thinking about how he's doing but one thing I keep coming back to in my own deliberations is the staggering number of times our players miss place passes. 

You can have the best game plan and tactics in the world but if the players just constantly pass to the opposition, pass it out of play, control it so badly it just rolls away from them, spray a ball forwards to no one, nothing the manager can do is going to work.

And every week I watch us and just can't believe my eyes at how often these people who are paid huge sums of money to kick a ball do not seem to be able to. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Wow, Smith out campaign already. Have you lost your minds, what exactly are you expecting?

He made a rod for his own back with some outrageous early results. Honestly unbelievable the points we accumulated and the football we played when he had to pick the team off the floor after Bruce.

Season would be over already without him.

Plenty of questions still remain though I think. At the end of January, with new players plus Grealish and Tuanzebe back, I want to see some progression.

I wouldn't expect to get back to the heights of Derby/Boro 0-3s, but I want to see us solidify and players working for each other. The summer rebuild will be a real clean slate for the squad and they'll be a huge turnaround of players.

Is Smith's system, which so far he's stuck to 99% of the time, something new centre halves and new CMs can come into a make work straight away next season?

In an ideal world obviously we go up through the playoffs this season!

• Like 2

I said when he joined that I didn’t expect anything this season.  But if he is backed in the summer then I think we should expext top 2 next season. Anything else is a failure.

Bruce was dealt the same hand. 

Edit: what I meant was Bruce had the same expectations placed on him. Smith should to in my opinion.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said when he joined that I didn’t expect anything this season.  But if he is backed in the summer then I think we should expext top 2 next season. Anything else is a failure.

Bruce was dealt the same hand. 

He wasn't for me. Bruce was given a golden chance to do whatever he wanted. He went for a load of short term loans and stuck Taylor/Lansbury/Hogan/Hourihane/Bjarnson all on £25k-£40k. Then tore our defence apart and would have took us down this season.

Depends what recruitment is like this summer. I'm very excited at the thought of going into next season with a capable manager playing attacking football.

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can have the best game plan and tactics in the world but if the players just constantly pass to the opposition, pass it out of play, control it so badly it just rolls away from them, spray a ball forwards to no one, nothing the manager can do is going to work.

And every week I watch us and just can't believe my eyes at how often these people who are paid huge sums of money to kick a ball do not seem to be able to. 

It's honestly my biggest gripe, it is astounding how terrible their passing is.

Literally 90 percent of the time we concede the opposition move has started with a pin point or through pass to the opposition.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce would have had far more resources at his disposal. We will be having substantially less income this summer due to dwindling parachute payments, Smith won't be getting what Bruce did, that's for sure.

We’ll have to use the money when we sell Jack very wisely.  Also quite a lot of wages will be freed up with big contracts ending.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's honestly my biggest gripe, it is astounding how terrible their passing is.

Literally 90 percent of the time we concede the opposition move has started with a pin point or through pass to the opposition.

With Axel and Jack out we're a hoofball side that tries to play possession based football.

DS should change up his tactics right now, maybe try 4-4-2 and play more direct. 4-3-3 clearly not working atm

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ll have to use the money when we sell Jack very wisely.  Also quite a lot of wages will be freed up with big contracts ending.

Jack stays, and we build around him and McGinn, they are our 2 longest contract players, they are the core of the future...

Â