Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Lord save us from scoring more than the opposition.

Look, we have a proper left back, we win that game yesterday, and a few more too. We also need Grealish back. That was the difference last season and he has been under Smith too.

We need to hurry up in the market and get the deals done. New CM(s) RB and LB asap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He wants to out score the opponent? Cracking insight that fella.

Nice job taking the post out of context.

The point is DS care much more about scoring goals than defending. And that's pretty clear at all the clubs he's managed. He's defensive records at both Walsall and Brentford is laughable, and i don't see that changing.

If we keep him next season i can see us easily conceding 50+ goals.

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The point is DS care much more about scoring goals than defending. And that's pretty clear at all the clubs he's managed. He's defensive records at both Walsall and Brentford is laughable, and i don't see that changing.

It wasn’t taken out of context it was just a daft comment which I treated flippantly.

You seem to think he is the new Keegan, frankly I think that is cobblers if you pardon the Walsall related pun.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That means we’d need to score 150 goals. 

One thing we have seen, and which Dean keeps pointing out.

We consistently get beaten by long balls over the top, and being ran at with pace.

It is another reason why Tuanzebes miss is so highly underrated.

Not only was he bringing the ball out of defense, those long balls over the top were not beating him, and even if they did, he was not getting beaten for pace!

Our defense is WAY too slow, when Tuanzebe made a mistake he also had the pace and strength to make amends.

Major deficiency,

I'm sure the board are trying to help but they need to speed it the f*ck up!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It wasn’t taken out of context it was just a daft comment.

You seem to think he is the new Keegan, frankly I think that is cobblers if you pardon the Walsall related pun.

Having the new Keegan would be so much fun!

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, i would.

Rodgers or Allardyce would be better options though.

Bruce has gone and rightly so, so we need to forget about him. I see your point with the other two, although o was more than happy with Deano coming here. We need to give him some time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bruce has gone and rightly so, so we need to forget about him. I see your point with the other two, although o was more than happy with Deano coming here. We need to give him some time. 

Yes i am prepared to give DS a whole year with pre season and all that.

But from what i've seen he's a mixed bag, attacking wise he seem brilliant, no complaints there. But football isn't only about goals it's also about defending and he fails miserably there. And based on his past record at Brentford and Walsall i don't see his defensive record changing anytime soon.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yes i am prepared to give DS a whole year with pre season and all that.

But from what i've seen he's a mixed bag, attacking wise he seem brilliant, no complaints there. But football isn't only about goals it's also about defending and he fails miserably there. And based on his past record at Brentford and Walsall i don't see his defensive record changing anytime soon.

You need to take into consideration that the team is a mixed bag too. He can only work with what he’s got. If he wants to put his own style of play on the team and club, then it will take time. He’s not a great manager, they are few and far between. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You need to take into consideration that the team is a mixed bag too. He can only work with what he’s got. If he wants to put his own style of play on the team and club, then it will take time. He’s not a great manager, they are few and far between. 

I agree with that although the way DS sets up his defense, especially the full backs bombing forward you're always gonna be vulnerable in defense.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree with that although the way DS sets up his defense, especially the full backs bombing forward you're always gonna be vulnerable in defense.

Most of the best teams in the world right now have full backs, who as you would mention, bomb forward. Problem being ares just can’t get back. Personnel rather than system. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Last season we were a strong team. We weren’t pretty on the eye often, but we could defend a lead, and grind out results. From last season we are missing a good keeper in Johnstone, a good defender in Terry who could organise the others, and also a very strong midfielder in Snodgrass. We lacked a good goal scorer, and that’s what cost us automatic promotion imo. Kodjia was unfortunately injured, and we also missed Grealish when he was out injured. We were inconsistent at times hence the 4th spot, and we had a bad run of form leading up to the play off final. I honestly think last seasons team was a lot tougher and more cut out for this league. Although we’ve played some great stuff this season, we are back to being spineless. 

Last season, Bruce had a style and tactic that he set out from the beginning of the season and that was, not to lose. In addition to this, he would try to get a goal lead and then defend it with his life. Lansbury confirmed that at the start of the season when he said that there would be a lot of 1-0 wins to look forward to - or something like that. 

To be fair to Bruce, that tactic worked well for him but there really seemed to be no plan b. It was dogged defensive display with wingers that acted as wing backs that got us victories. It wasn't too easy on the eye but was largely affective unless we played against good attacking sides and ultimately, that's what cost us promotion. Newcastle have pretty much played he same way in the Premier League this season. 

However, that style was not nice to watch and wasn't sustainable, as shown this season with the losses of Terry and Johnstone. There was no equal replacement for either of them and that's why that system failed so badly from the start of this season. 

Smith's style is far more attractive to watch and there's a few teams applying that style around our league now. However, Farke has employed several German players that he was aware of and Bielsa just seems to scare the shit out of his players to get what he needs from them. Smith hasn't had time to build a team suitable to his style of play and that's what he needs now - time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Most of the best teams in the world right now have full backs, who as you would mention, bomb forward. Problem being ares just can’t get back. Personnel rather than system. 

Yes but we aren't the best team in the world.

The likes of Hutton and Elmo doesn't got the physical attributes to do both attacking and defending, DS should know that and adapt his system until he got better full backs.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes but we aren't the best team in the world.

The likes of Hutton and Elmo doesn't got the physical attributes to do both attacking and defending, DS should know that and adapt his system until he got better full backs.

But Hutton has literally been bombing forward since he joined us. That’s not something new that’s been coached under Smith.

Edit - I’d argue that Elmo too has been known to get forward a fair bit previously.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

There is. DS wants to outscore the opponent, that's been pretty clear since DS arrived.

The Forest game is a pretty good idea who DS is as a coach.

What a weird tactic. He must have heard that advice from Michael Owen

Â