Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I say a big name I mean someone that has managed successfully under large pressure. Bielsa, Rafa, Nuno etc. 

I know that’s easier said than done thought.

My concern is Smith buckling under the pressure.   Villa park can be a daunting place when we’re not winning games. It’s not something he would have experienced before. 

None of them would come to villa. Rafa and Nuno wouldn’t drop down to manage us and Bielsa is commited to Leeds. I really don’t think we should be even talking about new managers just yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

Because we get the same turgid shit that Bruce gave us!

Most of this turgid shit got us into the play off final last season.

But i guess all of them magically turn into shit over night, makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

Yesterday I saw two things.

Some of the players are incapable in playing the way Smith wants them too. Either we have to give them time be learn or be replaced. At the same time they are far more capable when they are in the right mental state.We've seen these players act this way before. 

However we also saw that Smith was able to get a response out of them. And we saw how We're supposed to look in second half. It was good, and what we expect every game. And I'm sure Dean Smith does too. 

It was a good turnaround after a terrible start, following two terrible games.  Against the inform team in the league. 

No reason to call for his replacement yet. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But i guess all of them magically turn into shit over night, makes perfect sense.

And they definitely weren’t playing shit before Smith arrived. No siree. They were right on course to emulate last season’s fourth place finish.

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last season we were a strong team. We weren’t pretty on the eye often, but we could defend a lead, and grind out results. From last season we are missing a good keeper in Johnstone, a good defender in Terry who could organise the others, and also a very strong midfielder in Snodgrass. We lacked a good goal scorer, and that’s what cost us automatic promotion imo. Kodjia was unfortunately injured, and we also missed Grealish when he was out injured. We were inconsistent at times hence the 4th spot, and we had a bad run of form leading up to the play off final. I honestly think last seasons team was a lot tougher and more cut out for this league. Although we’ve played some great stuff this season, we are back to being spineless. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Last season we were a strong team. We weren’t pretty on the eye often, but we could defend a lead, and grind out results. From last season we are missing a good keeper in Johnstone, a good defender in Terry who could organise the others, and also a very strong midfielder in Snodgrass. We lacked a good goal scorer, and that’s what cost us automatic promotion imo. Kodjia was unfortunately injured, and we also missed Grealish when he was out injured. We were inconsistent at times hence the 4th spot, and we had a bad run of form leading up to the play off final. I honestly think last seasons team was a lot tougher and more cut out for this league. Although we’ve played some great stuff this season, we are back to being spineless. 

I actually think Elphick and Chester is a decent centre back pair in this division. Even better when Axel is back fit.

Elmo and Hutton played alot better last season, but i think alot of that is down to the coaching. DS is obviously telling them to run forward alot more. And it's costing us cause they don't have the physical attributes to do both. Last year they played more conservative which benefits them more and the team.

I think DS is a great attacking coach, problem is his teams are leaking goals as much as they are scoring. He need to sort it out, if not he won't last long at this club.

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yep this.

Put Tammy in last year’s team and we go up. Put a settled goalkeeper in Johnstone, a born leader and great defender in Terry and another big personality and more “practical” winger in Snodgrass in this side and we’d be in the mix for play offs.

I suppose thinking about it, we’ve more or less had most of the right components but at different times. Annoying.

Despite the personnel being different this all feels so familiar to the late December through to February run we had when Bruce first arrived (zero wins, two draws and seven defeats, fact fans). Shortly after that dreadful run, that team inexplicably went on a decent winning run to make us think play offs could be achieved, this side could as well. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I actually think Elphick and Chester is a decent centre back pair in this division. Even better when Axel is back fit.

Elmo and Hutton played alot better last season, but i think alot of that is down to the coaching. DS is obviously telling them to run forward alot more. And it's costing us cause they don't have the physical attributes to do both. Last year they played more conservative which benefits them more and the team.

I think DS is a great attacking coach, problem is his teams are leaking goals as much as they are scoring. He need to sort it out, if not he won't last long at this club.

They are not bad, but Chester especially would benefit from a Terry like figure to partner him. Axel was really starting to find his game. I have no doubt we would be a few more points better off if he hadn’t of got injured. The keeper situation is a huge issue. 

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

P.S I don’t think goals are the problem. We are still scoring most games, and usually more than one goal.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

9 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep this.

Put Tammy in last year’s team and we go up. Put a settled goalkeeper in Johnstone, a born leader and great defender in Terry and another big personality and more “practical” winger in Snodgrass in this side and we’d be in the mix for play offs.

I suppose thinking about it, we’ve more or less had most of the right components but at different times. Annoying.

Despite the personnel being different this all feels so familiar to the late December through to February run we had when Bruce first arrived (zero wins, two draws and seven defeats, fact fans). Shortly after that dreadful run, that team inexplicably went on a decent winning run to make us think play offs could be achieved, this side could as well. 

Yep, it’s not quite lined up how we needed it too. Pity we couldn’t have ended up keeping Snodgrass. He’s stronger and better suited to what we have now. We were on our arse so players had to leave, then we had some renewed hope with the takeover, but the damage was done with the spine of the team gone. With Tammy last season we are top two. If Kodjia would have stayed fit, we possibly could be saying the same. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 12:52, villalad21 said:

We've always been leaking goals under Smith though even during our "good" spell.

Unless that change i don't see us being anywhere near top 6 by the end of the season.

Well no team can achieve anything if they have to score two goals just to draw the game.

The defence is a massive issue I agree.UTV

as long as there is a long to medium term clear idea of what we want to do, how we are going to do it, and a show of inplementing it I’ll be happy to ride the tricky spells through for a sufficient period of time. 

This team has been left unbalanced and aging due to short term suicide planning over the last 3 years. Littered with players likely to be fazed out and because of this lacking motivation. 

Ds might or might not be the answer, but I prey that the plans, style, recruitment and overall ethos are implemented at a higher level and any replacement (if necessary) would be following on the work rather than changing it drastically. 

Edited by Tony
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

as long as there is a long to medium term clear idea of what we want to do, how we are going to do it, and a show of inplementing it I’ll be happy to ride the tricky spells through for a sufficient period of time. 

There is. DS wants to outscore the opponent, that's been pretty clear since DS arrived.

The Forest game is a pretty good idea who DS is as a coach.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This is absolutely spot on.

The defensive organisation is one of our biggest problems, sometimes it seems like they aren't speaking to each other on the pitch as two players go for one ball, or a pass is made without the other even expecting it. Elphick is now making a slight difference as he's fairly vocal, but we are missing a dominant, physical defender (Axel was starting to become this for us). I don't think the goalkeeper issue is now a problem, I just think the defence isn't helping Kalinic just as it didn't help Nyland. The majority of goals we concede are point blank shots where the defence has crumbled and allowed a cross or a someone to walk through, most keepers wouldn't stand a chance.

Snodgrass is a huge miss this season, not for his footballing ability (at times last season we needed for pace on the wings it seemed). What we are lacking is his energy and drive, it's easy to just walk up and down the wing waiting for a pass (Bolasie and now Adomah did it for 45 minutes yesterday), Snodgrass worked hard for the time coming inside to help out the midfield when needed and helping the striker press at the other end. This is how our entire midfield, wingers and strikers should be playing. Not many teams in the Championship can deal with a high press, us included.

I miss last seasons team, the desire just doesn't seem to be there this season - bar Tammy and McGinn. I'm just praying that when the transfer window is done and Grealish returns we start to see some of the fight we had last season return.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is. DS wants to outscore the opponent, that's been pretty clear since DS arrived.

The Forest game is a pretty good idea who DS is as a coach.

He wants to out score the opponent? Cracking insight that fella.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

This is absolutely spot on.

The defensive organisation is one of our biggest problems, sometimes it seems like they aren't speaking to each other on the pitch as two players go for one ball, or a pass is made without the other even expecting it. Elphick is now making a slight difference as he's fairly vocal, but we are missing a dominant, physical defender (Axel was starting to become this for us). I don't think the goalkeeper issue is now a problem, I just think the defence isn't helping Kalinic just as it didn't help Nyland. The majority of goals we concede are point blank shots where the defence has crumbled and allowed a cross or a someone to walk through, most keepers wouldn't stand a chance.

Snodgrass is a huge miss this season, not for his footballing ability (at times last season we needed for pace on the wings it seemed). What we are lacking is his energy and drive, it's easy to just walk up and down the wing waiting for a pass (Bolasie and now Adomah did it for 45 minutes yesterday), Snodgrass worked hard for the time coming inside to help out the midfield when needed and helping the striker press at the other end. This is how our entire midfield, wingers and strikers should be playing. Not many teams in the Championship can deal with a high press, us included.

I miss last seasons team, the desire just doesn't seem to be there this season - bar Tammy and McGinn. I'm just praying that when the transfer window is done and Grealish returns we start to see some of the fight we had last season return.

I think the keeper issue is a problem. Obviously we need to give this new lad time, but that was a sloppy goal to let in yesterday. Snodgrass is superb for this division, and he scored goals and as you say worked hard. Can you imagine McGinn and him playing in the same midfield. Tammy would have a field day with Snodgrass. 

Â