Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The times reported that were actually paying 500k in compo but this includes Richard O'Kelly coming across with him.

Thomas Frank his other assistant looks to be staying at Brentford which is disappointing.

No word of any technical, fitness or sport science staff coming across yet.

Were also short a goalkeeping coach.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its just very nice of villa to give the job to an Englishman AGAIN (what’s that, 3 out of the last 4?) and him being a villa fan too is a nice touch. Grealish and Dean Smith applauding the Holte End sounds lovely, it means a lot to them personally I’m sure.

I know we’re not competing with these clubs, but you just look at the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc, who will likely never employ an English manager again, and presumably still only have English players because they have to fulfil a quota. Barkley, Delph, Drinkwater etc.

Well if you believe the reports we tried for Henry and Rui farai - our overseas managers have been pretty disastrous  - you can see why they went for Smith. 

33 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I reckon 90 points should secure us the title so an average of a little over 2.2 points per game for the rest of the season will do it. No pressure Dean! ?

Which would be equivalent to over 100 points across a full season......I hate to say it but ( in my humble opinion) Bruce has, just like last season, ruined any hopes of Automatic before October is out.

Given that, I will take signs of development of a consistent and positive playing style, plus a place in the Play Offs....for which he needs 60 more Points at 1.76

That, for me, is the target to go for and the one by which he should be judged.

Edited by terrytini
Added “ more”
  • Like 3

You just can't help but feel this has a Roy of the Rivers tinge to it.

Comes in, turns his beloved club around and stays here for years leading us to the upper echelons of the English game and is up there etched in this club's history. He sort of feel that it would take one of the countries big 4/5/6 to take him away were he successful.

(Or he'll be sacked in 12 months after a 3-0 home defeat by newly promoted Peterborough)

• Like 1

Very happy to see Smith become manager of Villa.

Now we’ll see Villa play some better football with the attacking players allowed to express themselves freely on the pitch. Movement coupled with those nice little triangles will let Villa play through teams more something which Bruce could only achieve in a colouring in book.

I would further suggest that the end is nigh for several players such as Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton and indeed Richards who will never fit into the new philosophy coming into the club. Unless the new keeper improves then that position will also be addressed in January as will CB and possibly both FB positions.

In addition U23s will be given more of a chance to stake their claim in the 1st team with a clear pass and move culture instigated throughout the playing side of the club.

This will take time of course so Villa fans will again have to show patience. The difference this time though will be that Villa now have a manager who epitomises the way Villa fans want to see their team play.

Smith is the right manager to develop that.

• Like 3

The smith appointment has really grown on me and could be the most important in the club's future. Our first head coach position is telling as to the direction the club is going in. I think we are going to take inspiration from the Brentford model and they're is no better person to share the inner workings of it than DS. 

Could we be finally moving into the modern era of football?! 

On the Lambert comparisons - it's sooooo different. PL came in on a depressing downward curve - had to switch to uber defensive having realised the quality of the prem was too strong for him ever to have the time to implement a new way - and never recovered. DS comes in on potentially a well funded upward trajectory, can spend time implementing good passing football safe in the knowledge that we'll receive very few tonkings in the process in this league. Similarities yes, but personalities, timing and chance of success very different. 

26 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Given that, I will take signs of development of a consistent and positive playing style, plus a place in the Play Offs....for which he needs 60 more Points at 1.76

Playoffs is the realistic target this year, unless we go on a fulham style run sooner rather than later. Bruce is partly responsible for this situation, along with Dr Who and our new owners. Bruce for poor management, Tony for financial mismanagement and the new owners for indecisive management by not getting rid of Bruce in the summer. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

That’s 2 Wins, a Draw, and a defeat, every 4 games btw. We can do that !

We can.

A 50% win rate is not something I look at and think we looked like achieving under Bruce.

I look at the players we have and think 25% of the season done and we are 3 wins off automatic promotion, we can make it.

I'm glad Bruce is gone.

I don't want to get carried away before we see just what DS can do for this team, but I can't help but feel like we may just hit form like Fulham did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I may have missed this but is there any news on any of his backroom team at Brentford coming across too?

Not confirmed but think we want Richard o'kelly as well

His other assistant Thomas Frank has taken over as 1st team coach at Brentford 

• Like 1

You'll know from his team selection early doors that players like jedinak, Whelan and hutton won't feature in his team going forward. And im glad about that. Needs to be a major shift in our approach to the game. Watched an interview with Smith and o'kelly from a Brentford coaching forum a year back and they say they constantly work with the ball during training because running for runnings sake without the ball is pointless. Refreshing to hear this. Not bringing lads out to Portugal running the bollocks off them for 2 weeks.

Not that excited by it but proof is in the pudding. Actually, it’s not that I’m unexcited just that it feels a little underwhelming BUT I do understand the reasons for getting him in. 

Im a lot happier about him as our manager than I ever was about Bruce coming in to the job so there’s that. 

All I ask is play players in their natural role, let them play attacking football as much as possible, give the team an identity and a plan and don’t throw the fans under the bus like Spud ‘Ed did when the going got tough.

Also, I think Terry as number 2 is a good idea, he knows the lads and will help motivate them. 

I wish Smith all the best, my first sentence sounds harsher than i really mean it but I’m just being cautiously honest. I don’t dislike him at all and he has my full support, go and smash it Deano!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Not that excited by it but proof is in the pudding. Actually, it’s not that I’m unexcited just that it feels a little underwhelming BUT I do understand the reasons for getting him in. 

Im a lot happier about him as our manager than I ever was about Bruce coming in to the job so there’s that. 

All I ask is play players in their natural role, let them play attacking football as much as possible, give the team an identity and a plan and don’t throw the fans under the bus like Spud ‘Ed did when the going got tough.

Also, I think Terry as number 2 is a good idea, he knows the lads and will help motivate them. 

I wish Smith all the best, my first sentence sounds harsher than i really mean it but I’m just being cautiously honest. I don’t dislike him at all and he has my full support, go and smash it Deano!

My feelings exactly.

Will take a while for his coaching and style of play to kick in. He also has players that can single handed win a game for him which Bruce relied on week in and week out. That will give him a helping hand

Edited by Lord Willard

40 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I hate to say it but ( in my humble opinion) Bruce has, just like last season, ruined any hopes of Automatic before October is out.

Given that, I will take signs of development of a consistent and positive playing style

Yeah, exactly this. The points dropped already, the unbalanced squad have proper done for us this season. FFP will also have an impact in a few months.

What the club has needed all along is to develop a recognisable, coherent template - exactly what Brentford have (only a Villa version). A way of playing embedded and enjoyable. A long term outlook and an idea of where we're going. Not a short term "we must get promoted now" panic style effort. If you get the other things right the results and success come on their own. Success at any costs is just the wrong approach. The club needs to make more of its youth system and bring through more players playing our way. Lose the desperation and replace it with inspiration and organisation.

I hope he gets time to enable all this to happen. 

• Like 2

Good appointment Dean Smith.

The sensible one imo, surprised it wasn't done within a day or two. 

But why force John Terry on him?

No way was that Dean Smith's choice, he may have agreed to it but get the impression its more down to the owners. Kind of weird, Terry looming over his shoulder, and bet if he has a bad start the calls for Terry to takeover will start, just odd imo. 

Â