Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

That some are going after a Manager who has been there for 16 weeks is just wrong and have no validity to their argument. Rather than getting up there post numbers, try putting together a logical point of view.

Big clubs have big expectations. What has been our ratio of results in the last 8 games so far has not been what we expected, maybe some of us did get on the back of Dean Smith prematurely after the Wigan game (myself included). He picks the team and sets us up yes? So the buck stops with him.

If he turns it around today then we look foolish I guess, but concern is never too far away from Villa fans and the laclustre display we witnessed against Wigan made some of us question things behind the scenes based on what if scenarios, again we will discover this later today.

Yes he needs time but this is equally a massive season for us as a club.

To your part about experts learning Fifa badges and posting to get our forum tallys up is nonsense imo.

Like your goodself, I've been posting on this board for over 10 years now.. surely I should been in the tens of thousands of 'posts made'?.

I think the majority of the forum will agree that it is totally irrelevant how many posts each individual has made - that goes for 'likes' too.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Makes me wonder if a "why bother" attitude has slipped in with some of the players, not even saying it would be intentional (but it might be for some).

I can almost imagine that there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes at AV now, planning for the future, discussing youth and how to make that a core part of our plans, the wider team probably already know who's head is on the chopping block.

Of the players who's head isn't on the chopping block, a fair few are loans who also won't be here next season.

The loans not here next season and the players who could likely expect to be ejected from the club over the next 6 or so months probably account for well over 50% of the "first team" players.

Part of me wonders if all this has now started hitting home now DS is getting settled, and he and the owners are discussing the "future", and those players on the receiving end are kind of......not listening, or trying to their full potential.

However highly paid these guys are, they are only human and as with most of Us, if we knew we were likely to be ousted from our job in 6 months, I bet the productivity and desire of most of us would drop to at least some degree.

Does make me wonder, and it would explain why the rest of this season might actually be a struggle, cus there are gonna be a lot of eggs broken this season to try and make a tasty omelette for next season.

And I bet a lot of the over paid wasters don't like the idea of being eggs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Makes me wonder if a "why bother" attitude has slipped in with some of the players, not even saying it would be intentional (but it might be for some).

I can almost imagine that there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes at AV now, planning for the future, discussing youth and how to make that a core part of our plans, the wider team probably already know who's head is on the chopping block.

Of the players who's head isn't on the chopping block, a fair few are loans who also won't be here next season.

The loans not here next season and the players who could likely expect to be ejected from the club over the next 6 or so months probably account for well over 50% of the "first team" players.

Part of me wonders if all this has now started hitting home now DS is getting settled, and he and the owners are discussing the "future", and those players on the receiving end are kind of......not listening, or trying to their full potential.

However highly paid these guys are, they are only human and as with most of Us, if we knew we were likely to be ousted from our job in 6 months, I bet the productivity and desire of most of us would drop to at least some degree.

Does make me wonder, and it would explain why the rest of this season might actually be a struggle, cus there are gonna be a lot of eggs broken this season to try and make a tasty omelette for next season.

I've been thinking the same with pressure mounting up to do better and contracts on the line, summer alot of heads rolling on the guillotine maybe, your rite there is alot going on.

It is a shame that a club can not decrease a players wages if they pull shocking displays out or if they continue to look like they can't be bothered even terminate contracts. I think it's way to much in favour of the player to the point players come in with all this ambition only to do a complete attitude change. Players no full well once the pen is put to paper then the contract is there's,  it means from there on in if they decide they could play complete uttwr rubbish, yet make it look like they doing it on accident all for the easy life.

It's players attitude that needs to change and I think our players in particular sound as if they have lost all motivation, spirit, heart and the will to do well.

If most of our first team squad is moving on this season, they are not going to be bothered about Aston Villa which I find if they do feel that way completely ashamed that they are at our club. Villa which has lined the pockets of our first teamers deep with money that in my eyes they do not deserve at this moment in time, lets just say they need to go out and earn it.

I would so very much like to be able to say at the end of the season that oir players went out and did what they could and earnt there way back to the premier. Im sorry and as much as i hate to say this bit i just dont think any of us will be saying anything good about our players come season end. It will only confirm what many of us have been saying about them for a while now, is that it's time we got what we could out of them and sold as many of them as we could, bought a fresh new team in that is capable of playing with heart, guts and passion. By the time we have sold some of them at most we mite recoup a small fraction of the wages we have paid this squad. I just think that from now on when signing players that we offer contracts out with as small a wage as we can, then as they play there contract can be reviewed and increases can be applied if need be. If they are putting there time in and playing like Mcginn or Grealish because they are the only two I would say that deserve there wages week in week out then and only then should players get increases.

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I just hope last Saturday as a random poor performance and Smith gets us back on track on Saturday. I really need to see some improvement at the back though to convince me that this season is not yet  write off.

Dont get your hopes up.

Sorry but our defence is a shambles, it was under bruce before Smith came in and he's a defensive manager. Yet i dont think it's the managers RDM, Bruce or Smith I believe it's the players themselves and the players we have will bring it together for a while then have this horrible time where they completely undo everything that they have worked hard for.

I think in teams some players just get on with it, co operate nicely with one and other, manage to sense what each others feeling, automatically bond to the point they are in tune. I don't think our players have moulded together properly at all despite the time they have been together. There is also the fact that the players we lost from last season, forestor, snoddy, Grabban, Terry and so on were the sweet part of our pudding, while we were left with many players we would of rather not been left with. The improvements have happened but its like we have a burst squad, a squad that bursts it's performances along with it's losses and I feel to get rid of that, we would need an entire new defence or even new team.

We will see anyway, if we can get back to winning, if we can then that's ace, however I'm not holding my breathe and have in my mind accepted a lost season already, then roll on summer time.

I don't see anyone calling for his head yet, but apparently we aren't allowed to critisize him for anything because its too "early".

I have my doubts on Smith and that is based on his questionable tactical abilities i've seen this season and i'm also highly concerned on his inability to organize a defence which is something he has failed to do at both Walsall and Brentford.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Almost every decent football pundit is saying Emery at Arsenal needs a whole season and it's crazy for people to be judging him on just six months. That's Arsenal! With billion pound sterling of squad depth. I think Smith can be forgiven for a little wobble after just 3 months with a completely unbalanced squad of loanees.

So we aren't allowed to criticize just because it's only been 3 months?

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

That is one of the risks when building a squad in the way we've been doing.

A very large % of the players know they are not going to be here next season no matter what happens.

This might not matter too much while it's smooth sailing. But when we hit a bump, like now, do they have the heart?

We also have fair amount of players who have us as their last (or first) big pay day and who likely know they are not getting another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewie said:

Almost every decent football pundit is saying Emery at Arsenal needs a whole season and it's crazy for people to be judging him on just six months. That's Arsenal! With billion pound sterling of squad depth. I think Smith can be forgiven for a little wobble after just 3 months with a completely unbalanced squad of loanees.

Yup.

Even the nutters on ARSENAL Fan TV say the same.

That one entertaining bloke often says "How long has Klopp had to transform Liverpool blood, see what i'm sayin blood"

• Like 1

There is no reason why we can’t balance the change needed with enough wins to place us in the top six.

its reasonable simple.

The changes made need to be the right ones.

I can see how the majority of Villa fans would have difficulty believing our club can actually do that.....but it is possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't see anyone calling for his head yet, but apparently we aren't allowed to critisize him for anything because its too "early".

I have my doubts on Smith and that is based on his questionable tactical abilities i've seen this season and i'm also highly concerned on his inability to organize a defence which is something he has failed to do at both Walsall and Brentford.

A lot of us that are convinced Smith is the right man have criticised stuff he has done, or failed to do. There's a difference between criticising a specific thing, a selection, a substitution, a tactic, something he's said, his socks etc and just flat out saying he's not good enough, he's out of his depth, he's shit etc. because then the inference is he should go not he shoudl be doing something differently.

That's why people start saying it's mental after 3 months, especially when 2 of them were great.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm sure you were one of a couple of posters saying he should be gone after the Wigan result. 

It's interesting that he has recalled Green and as far as transfer rumours go, seems to be eyeing up another wide player. He can't be happy with the output of our wide players and I agree with him. Bolasie is a busted flush, Adomah is over the hill and El Ghazi is very inconsistently. El Ghazi is still young and we have an option to buy him so is the only one with upside and worth investing in, the other two as far as I'm concerned can go.

• Like 1

sorry but it's must not lose today for dean smith

just watched the presser I heard him blowing some smoke towards the fans, obviously trying to make amends after insulting us when explaining the hauling off of O'Hare against swansea.

The good news is he seems to have had his eyebrows threaded, but he still needs a skinfade to get rid of the grey around the sides of his head making him look like a dutch oven.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

sorry but it's must not lose today for dean smith

just watched the presser I heard him blowing some smoke towards the fans, obviously trying to make amends after insulting us when explaining the hauling off of O'Hare against swansea.

The good news is he seems to have had his eyebrows threaded, but he still needs a skinfade to get rid of the grey around the sides of his head making him look like a dutch oven.

6bj6c-min.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

My thinking too. There are a lot of players in this squad at the wrong age, or with the wrong attitude that would benefit if we did NOT go up.

Â