Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No, time to build something for the first time in 10 years and not just try and cut costs or throw money on quick fix gambles. 

Shame we’ve got the wrong man then as we’ll be back to square one in 12 months.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What can you teach a 30 year old Neil Taylor, 35 year old Glenn Whelan or 34 year old Alan Hutton. If they couldnt get it when 23/24 not going to get it now

It was the managers fault when Bruce was here. Now its the players fault. I just wonder when its going to revert back to the manager. After 50 million maybe.

To be honest, I'm personally willing to give Smith a good run. As you say above, you'll probably find Smith's type of football has killed off the older players, now they are finding it hard to get back to full fitness after the Christmas run of games. To me they look absolutely  knackered still.

I still feel though it was a little early for Smith. I mean we mat not be Man U but the pressure inside VP ain't half close.

Edited by foreveryoung

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So we aren't allowed to criticize just because it's only been 3 months?

Of course. As long as it is reasonable and the length of time afforded to Bruce is given to Smith too. Which by recollection is about two years of "it's not his squad". 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, av1 said:

The simple fact is our squad is truly awful. 

Our squad was a top 2 squad that was badly underperforming when Bruce was here.

Weird how things change.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Our squad was a top 2 squad that was badly underperforming when Bruce was here.

Weird how things change.

Probably not top 2 but it was underperforming. It still is. It's also seriously weak in certain areas, has massive wages being spent on players either sitting on the bench, the stands or playing poorly and will need massive work in the summer due to expiring contracts and loans. 

Bruce left a **** mess. A mess with some talent in areas but an absolute mess. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Bruce left a **** mess. Aess with some talent in areas but an absolute mess. 

Imo Bruce inherited a stronger squad than the one he left. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

There is probably an argument for it. He certainly didn't leave much of a foundation to build from, given the money he spent and the amount of players signed. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

When were we a top 2 squad ?. 

I think Stevo is saying that a few on here were saying “this squad is top two quality” by way of putting down Bruce.

Smith is currently underperforming with this squad, but the squad is also lacking in certain areas.

Ignoring the often commented on defence, too many of our match winning players - the more attacking players - El Ghazi, Bolasie, Kodjia, Adomah and to a much lesser extent Grealish are incredibly inconsistent. It was true last season as well.

• Like 1

Time to drain the swamp as best possible, players like Hutton, Taylor, Bjarnason, Adomah et al have to be shipped out or frozen out over the course of this season. These players lack application and motivation, just not good enough.

I'm still waiting to see any sort of innovation from Smith. 4-5-1 does not work without a player like Grealish in midfield, without him (or a creative player) we are dull and uninspiring. Smith has to explore 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 as far as I'm concerned. Tactically we are just basic, the football is increasingly resembling the Bruce era... My confidence in him is being increasingly tested but still ultimately think he will deliver, but it certainly won't come this season, it's all about getting us into a good place for next season, so we'd be well advised to get rid of a number of our loan players and start to bring in some youngsters and of course, bring in new signings.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

I actually agree with this. We are as poor now as we have been since we've been down here. The defence is truly horrific. The attacking 'threat' is well overblown as well. We had a purple patch for a few weeks and that was it. 30 games is enough of a sample size to see that these players aren't as good as many think. Would be so much worse without Tammy too.

I still think Smith should be doing better though and it's frustrating that so much of the transfer window has elapsed without us fixing the problems that are slapping us in the face every week.

Edited by Avcol

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think Stevo is saying that a few on here were saying “this squad is top two quality” by way of putting down Bruce.

Smith is currently underperforming with this squad, but the squad is also lacking in certain areas.

Ignoring the often commented on defence, too many of our match winning players - the more attacking players - El Ghazi, Bolasie, Kodjia, Adomah and to a much lesser extent Grealish are incredibly inconsistent. It was true last season as well.

Isn't remotely close to a top 2 squad though whether it's Smith or Bruce in charge. Our midfield is absolute crap apart from McGinn. I'd send bolasie back to Everton Monday morning. He's here for a bit of fun. Clearly. More interested in posting on Instagram and Twitter. The injuries to tuanzebe and grealish can't be overstated. Two of the best natural ballers in our squad who started to play very well under Smith. 

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Isn't remotely close to a top 2 squad though whether it's Smith or Bruce in charge. Our midfield is absolute crap apart from McGinn. I'd send bolasie back to Everton Monday morning. He's here for a bit of fun. Clearly. More interested in posting on Instagram and Twitter. The injuries to tuanzebe and grealish can't be overstated. Two of the best natural ballers in our squad who started to play very well under Smith. 

No, it’s not at all close to a top two squad, too many weak spots.

However in the spirit of fairness, about 4-6 weeks ago I (and a fair few others) were talking about the possibility of automatic promotion, which now of course seems laughable. But the point is I and a few on here must have thought this squad, with a few additions, could challenge for it.

I don’t think I thought this squad was a top two contender under Bruce (I thought it should have been doing better, but not top two better), but for about a month or two under Smith it seemed plausible. 

Â