Dean Smith

Demitri_C

You'll seem to have forgotten quite few of the games we've had under our previous managers.

We seem to be the least patient with Smith compared to the others.

One or two bad performances/result and it's close to doomsday. If our players have half the mental fragility as we as fans have. It's no wonder if everything collapses after 1 bad game. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So we should just blindly ignore horrific results and performances then?

Dean Smith so far has not been impressive and not convinced me at all he's the right man to take us forward.

When he got the job DS said he's earned the right to get the job, i agree. And now he should have to earn the right to stay in the job after the season.

I'm still not calling for his head after three months.  Results have been mixed.  Defence has been shit, not his players and we are also very short on players and massively short on quality in that area.  I won't' be too hard on DS until he has made a few signings and the team is at least halfway his.  No we're not meant to ignore results, that would be silly.  At the same time look at the bigger picture mate.

• Like 1

I thought he was the right man when he was appointed and it's going to take more than a couple of bad results (after a brilliant run) for me to change my opinion. 

Downright ridiculous to be questioning DS this soon. He'll need time, like most lower level managers/coaches. The squad is old and mostly shit. If we're losing 3-0 to Wigan (the way we did) this time next year, then perhaps some of the criticism will be warranted. At present it certainly isn't. For me DS has already proven what he is made of, and I'm not just talking about the early results. The way we attacked and took the game to the opposition in most games, was a million miles from every other manager from the past 10 years or so. We need to be more patient. He'll get it right, and I firmly believe we'll still make the playoffs this season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Downright ridiculous to be questioning DS this soon. He'll need time, like most lower level managers/coaches. The squad is old and mostly shit. If we're losing 3-0 to Wigan (the way we did) this time next year, then perhaps some of the criticism will be warranted. At present it certainly isn't. For me DS has already proven what he is made of, and I'm not just talking about the early results. The way we attacked and took the game to the opposition in most games, was a million miles from every other manager from the past 10 years or so. We need to be more patient. He'll get it right, and I firmly believe we'll still make the playoffs this season.

We lost to a Wigan side 3 0 who had only scored 2 in 7 and hadn't seen a win in 9. This was on the back of another 3 0 defeat and 4 poor results. I'm all for been patient and giving him a bit of time but he still needs to make a better impact than he currently is, top 6 should be more than achievable with this side I'd want him gone if he failed to do that. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's all well and good with attacking football but if the man cannot organize a defence we will keep seeing all these 2-2 draws and i don't know about you but i'd take a boring 1-0 win over a 2-2 draw any day.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Just now, holteend1982 said:

We lost to a Wigan side 3 0 who had only scored 2 in 7 and hadn't seen a win in 9. This was on the back of another 3 0 defeat and 4 poor results. I'm all for been patient and giving him a bit of time but he still needs to make a better impact than he currently is, top 6 should be more than achievable with this side I'd want him gone if he failed to do that. 

Yes, I'm well aware of the results. We also won 3-0 away to Derby, 4-2 at home to the Scum, drew 5-5 with Forest in what was probably one of the most astonishing games ever, won 3-0 away to Boro, and also beat a good Swansea side 1-0 away from home. We've also drawn too many games, and now recently lost a few more than we'd have liked. All in all, the results have been mixed. Smiths start here was almost too good to be true, and I'm mostly talking about the performances. I think I always knew it wouldn't last, not with the squad we have. Recent injuries have been detrimental, and we're IMO too reliant on Grealish. Then again, it's exactly the same with every team in the world. 

Top 6 is indeed achievable, and should be the minimum requirement considering where we where and are at present. Having said that, if we do fail,  DS future will most likely depend on the manner in which we fail.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's all well and good with attacking football but if the man cannot organize a defence we will keep seeing all these 2-2 draws and i don't know about you but i'd take a boring 1-0 win over a 2-2 draw any day.

We don't really know yet if he can or can't organize a defense. I'll judge him on this when we have actual defenders at the club.

• Like 1

Just now, vreitti said:

We don't really know yet if he can or can't organize a defense. I'll judge him on this when we have actual defenders at the club.

Well the visting brentford fan posted on here earlier that leaking goals is one of DS's major faults as a coach.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Barely. We are potentially 1 defeat away from being 8 points behind 6th, that's the reality we are faced with right now. This season is fading away to a no man's land similar to the 16/17 season.

We could talk about this all day....

It just depends on your outlook I think. I see us as well in touch (with top six), but we going through another bad spell.

Where I think we differ is that I think the bad spell will end..... and you don't :)

15 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

We could talk about this all day....

It just depends on your outlook I think. I see us as well in touch (with top six), but we going through another bad spell.

Where I think we differ is that I think the bad spell will end..... and you don't :)

We've always been leaking goals under Smith though even during our "good" spell.

Unless that change i don't see us being anywhere near top 6 by the end of the season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well the visting brentford fan posted on here earlier that leaking goals is one of DS's major faults as a coach.

We have always suffered from conceding too many goals under DS especially from winning positions but our offensive and general play has always made this issue acceptable for most of our fans who have far less expectations than yours.I always felt JT would be the one to address that possible flaw in Deans defence coaching.We have now changed our defence to playing 3 central defenders in the last 6 games in which we are now unbeaten and conceding a lot fewer goals after a dreadful run that got us 1 win in ten after DS left.I expect this forum would go into meltdown if you had a similar run😃

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wouldn't base all that much on this piece of information, which may in fact be correct. Fact of the matter is, our resources are of a different world, then those of Brentford. Let's just wait and see, shall we!?

• Like 1

I can see what Dean Smith is trying to do and I welcome it after years of dour negative football.

Tommy Elphick hits the nail on the head when he says that "the reason Hull are ahead of us in the table is that they're together as a team".

DS has to replace the players who are still playing as individuals and either can't or wont adjust to what he requires of them. It will take time, but he's the right man to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

Yes, I'm well aware of the results. We also won 3-0 away to Derby, 4-2 at home to the Scum, drew 5-5 with Forest in what was probably one of the most astonishing games ever, won 3-0 away to Boro, and also beat a good Swansea side 1-0 away from home. We've also drawn too many games, and now recently lost a few more than we'd have liked. All in all, the results have been mixed. Smiths start here was almost too good to be true, and I'm mostly talking about the performances. I think I always knew it wouldn't last, not with the squad we have. Recent injuries have been detrimental, and we're IMO too reliant on Grealish. Then again, it's exactly the same with every team in the world. 

Top 6 is indeed achievable, and should be the minimum requirement considering where we where and are at present. Having said that, if we do fail,  DS future will most likely depend on the manner in which we fail.

Some of those results sound better than they were though. Barely beat Birmingham, they should have been 2 up and out of sight, Swansea are not a good side and 5-5 against a side who went down to 10 men is not even remotely anything to brag about. We've had a few good games under him and that's about it, the rest have been dull and flat performances with hardly any of this attacking style system he supposedly brings. 

I really do hope he does well for us, I'd never want one of our managers to fail. Maybe once Grealish returns we will look a completely different side again. Not looking forward to playing hull tomorrow though that's for sure. 

Â