Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Skruff said:

semantics. 

its as maybe....but its useful to understand what folk are saying, so we can agree or disagree in the right context.

not trying to be holier than thou, just trying to get some accuracy in our dialogue.

anyway, back on topic

Dean may revisit his tactics for the Hull Game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

like Smith and want him to do well because this is his biggest chance in the game so far and, of course, he's one of us. But, with the way the game is these days, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Brendan Rodgers in charge before next season starts. 

If we ended the season very poorly then the club would have a very big decision to make. Back the wrong guy in the summer and you are go backwards. 

Say what you want about this squad it should still be good enough to at least mount a play off challenge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

its as maybe....but its useful to understand what folk are saying, so we can agree or disagree in the right context.

not trying to be holier than thou, just trying to get some accuracy in our dialogue.

anyway, back on topic

Dean may revisit his tactics for the Hull Game.

I wonder if he’ll play a lot more deeper and tighter like previous managers have always resorted too. 

I personally hope he doesn’t and keeps to trying to play the game his way. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we ended the season very poorly then the club would have a very big decision to make. Back the wrong guy in the summer and you are go backwards. 

Say what you want about this squad it should still be good enough to at least mount a play off challenge. 

but that squad, has about half a dozen worthwhile players....The rest are very debatable.

It should be......but I don't think it is.

as an example:

• The full backs are not good enough to mount a challenge
  • 2 or 3 midfielders are not good enough to mount a challenge, judging by their abilities on the ball.
  • The goal keeping situation wasn't good enough, but we will see now.
  • One sole forward is good enough to make a challenge.
  • 3 wingers are so inconsistent its arguable if they can make a challenge ( consistency is what eludes them)
  • Injuries are playing games with us.

but right now as we stand....we are NOT in a position to make a challenge( IMV)

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It seems to be a trend on VT that we always think this is the worst it can be. 

"Nobody can be worse than Lambert"

"Nobody can be worse than Lerner"

"Nobody can be worse than Garde"

"Nothing can be worse than that performance against Swansea"

Well guess what, we do a very good job of getting worse! :D 

A lot of our squad is crap. But that doesn't automatically mean all the kids are suddenly ready and better than what we already have. If it's impossible for them to be worse then we may as well stick the Under 12s team in. Get them blooded early, you never know if you don't play them!

If they're good enough, they'll play. As shit as Neil Taylor or Alan Hutton or Scott Hogan are, it doesn't mean Joe Bloggs from the Under 18's team is automatically going to be better. 

its funny, but true....fair play Stevo.

Edited by TRO

I like Dean Smith too i really do, he is a likable guy, and the fact that he is a villa fan is really cool but all that goes out of the window if results doesn't go our way.

He's winning ratio with us have been really poor and we've been leaking goals like crazy even with Axel fit we were still leaking goals. That's the most worrying thing for me under DS, he's teams have always leaked goals.

Football isn't a playground, it's not about being nice to everyone. DS need to prove to us for the rest of the season that he is the right man to take us forward. If things doesn't improve he should get sacked by the end of the season in my opinion. I'm not saying we have to finish top 6, but we need to at least play well.

Edited by villalad21

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if he’ll play a lot more deeper and tighter like previous managers have always resorted too. 

I personally hope he doesn’t and keeps to trying to play the game his way. 

I can only guess.....He does seem a man " Hell Bent" on his principles.

With the form that Hull are showing and the movement they have been displaying....He would do well to play one winger as opposed to 2 and instruct the players to close down more.

He can only instruct them....after that its down to them.

just like us to go and win this one...we have the predictability of MPs

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

but that squad, has about half a dozen worthwhile players....The rest are very debatable.

It should be......but I don't think it is.

as an example:

• The full backs are not good enough to mount a challenge
  • 2 or 3 midfielders are not good enough to mount a challenge, judging by their abilities on the ball.
  • The goal keeping situation wasn't good enough, but we will see now.
  • One sole forward is good enough to make a challenge.
  • 3 wingers are so inconsistent its arguable if they can make a challenge ( consistency is what eludes them)
  • Injuries are playing games with us.

but right now as we stand....we are NOT in a position to make a challenge( IMV)

We are missing Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass as key players from last years. Yes others have aged.  We finished comfortably 4th. I wouldn’t say the squad has been weakened enough to now finish around 10th.

What I will say is had Jack not returned when he did last season I think we would have missed out on playoffs or been very close to it.

He’s return is key to saving our season.

• Like 1

I actually think Chester and Elphick is a very decent centre back pair in this league. Bree is also fine, Hutton, Elmo and Taylor is a issue.

Whelan and Birkir should not get picked in Grealish absence, but that is down to DS no one else.

Playing either El Ghazi or O'Hare in the Grealish role would be fine, while playing Hourihane in the deep role. Our starting eleven is actually decent imo, but they are underperforming at the moment.

How i would play.

------------------Kalinic---------------

Bree----Elphick---Chester--Taylor

----------------Hourihane--------------------

-------------McGinn---El Ghazi-----------

Adomah----------Abraham------Bolasie

(Kodjia backup striker for Abraham, don't rate him as a winger)

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are missing Johnstone, Terry and Snodgrass as key players from last years. Yes others have aged.  We finished comfortably 4th. I wouldn’t say the squad has been weakened enough to now finish around 10th.

What I will say is had Jack not returned when he did last season I think we would have missed out on playoffs or been very close to it.

He’s return is key to saving our season.

Its like I say....The key players are not the problem now......its the others.

Too few players contributing to the majority of what we do....too many passengers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I beg to differ on all those references....

so Gareth's opinion is worthless.....and he doesn't meet your standards, so he doesn't understand tactics....ok

Definition of tactics 

1athe science and art of disposing and maneuvering forces in combat

bthe art or skill of employing available means to accomplish an end

Like I say, we have different views on what is tactics...so subsequently we mean different things, fine.

• Pressing in itself is not "a science or art of disposing and Maneuvering players"......its an action, deploying the players to the action is the tactic. what they do when they get there is take action ( the pressing)
  • retaining possession is not a tactic....its an action/skill/technique that a player uses to retain the ball.
  • High tempo is not a tactic....its a means by which players speed up their work and actions....its the pace at which they play.
  • being physical or mean is again not a tactic....its an application.

I think you have a misconception of what tactics is....Tactics is what it says above the art of deploying resource to where its needed most at any given time.

maybe that is why so many managers don't over play  it, because there are other more pressing issues in their mind ( pardon the pun)

I am not saying its unimportant by the way....but we all need to know what we mean.

If my understanding of tactics doesnt meet your standard, i guess you'd better inform Fifa, Uefa and the FA, as all of those things are included in the course material for the 'coach tactics' badge.

• Haha 1

We have 19 games left. If we don't win at least 8 of them i don't think he will be here in August.

Even if he manages to achieve 8 more wins that would only be a total of 14 wins from 34 games (41%).

That win percentage over a season is only 19 wins which is nowhere near enough for promotion, Even the much despised Bruce managed 24 wins last year.

Sure it's not his players & people are injured etc etc but no manager going to a new team ever has all their own players and every single team has a pile of injuries through the year.

For those awaiting the return of Grealish the saviour expecting everything to suddenly change, Grealish started only 19 games last year. He has already started 21 this season.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I can only guess.....He does seem a man " Hell Bent" on his principles.

With the form that Hull are showing and the movement they have been displaying....He would do well to play one winger as opposed to 2 and instruct the players to close down more.

He can only instruct them....after that its down to them.

just like us to go and win this one...we have the predictability of MPs

I watched an extensive interview in which he addressed the need for a team to be able to play according to the demands of the fixture.

He said that players must be able to play a number of ways as this adds to the repertoire of the team.

I have heard him say in multiple interviews that he believes there is a certain way he wishes his teams to play and that is to be on the front foot taking the game to the opposition.

That can manifest in a variety of ways, making use of any formation, tactics or player he chooses.

I see his philosophy as rather loose as long as we are taking the game to the opposition. Can't see how he is 'hell bent' on any other principle.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I like Dean Smith too i really do, he is a likable guy, and the fact that he is a villa fan is really cool but all that goes out of the window if results doesn't go our way.

He's winning ratio with us have been really poor and we've been leaking goals like crazy even with Axel fit we were still leaking goals. That's the most worrying thing for me under DS, he's teams have always leaked goals.

Football isn't a playground, it's not about being nice to everyone. DS need to prove to us for the rest of the season that he is the right man to take us forward. If things doesn't improve he should get sacked by the end of the season in my opinion. I'm not saying we have to finish top 6, but we need to at least play well.

judging by you're other posts about DS i think you're the new @Grasshopper !

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

If my understanding of tactics doesnt meet your standard, i guess you'd better inform Fifa, Uefa and the FA, as all of those things are included in the course material for the 'coach tactics' badge.

its not MY standard....it's what the definition of the word is. I can't be much more explicit..."tactics" does not just apply to football, its a generic word.

Maybe you might like to get on to the Oxford Dictionary and tell them FIFA...have a different view.

In the interests of accuracy, I would actually be interested to see where any footballing bodies specifically says that, what you are suggesting.

I am not professing to be right, just think I am...just explaining my interpretation.

I am quite happy to be corrected, just can't find a suitable explanation to tell me different. I appreciate your view is different.

Edited by TRO

27 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I watched an extensive interview in which he addressed the need for a team to be able to play according to the demands of the fixture.

He said that players must be able to play a number of ways as this adds to the repertoire of the team.

I have heard him say in multiple interviews that he believes there is a certain way he wishes his teams to play and that is to be on the front foot taking the game to the opposition.

That can manifest in a variety of ways, making use of any formation, tactics or player he chooses.

I see his philosophy as rather loose as long as we are taking the game to the opposition. Can't see how he is 'hell bent' on any other principle.

Interesting.

In other words "seizing the initiative"....that's how i want us to play too.

However, I also recognise there are times in a game when containment is prudent too, depending on the circumstances.

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I have no doubt they may well be included in such a course, many things may well be, that is just related as opposed to specific....just explaining my take on it.

we are off topic...so we best put it to bed.

Â