Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Strange he feels the need to comment and back Smith up. Why not just a positive sentence, instead of hinting, "I'm sure Smith will do better and start winning games".

I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess Elmo is thinking Deano is under some extra pressure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Why would we compare ourselves to other teams who may be doing brilliantly or may be doing terribly?  It's utterly pointless.

The only thing that matters is where Aston Villa finish.

It is where Villa finishes in relation to the other teams that counts. It is the other teams we are competing with. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Why would we compare ourselves to other teams who may be doing brilliantly or may be doing terribly?  It's utterly pointless.

The only thing that matters is where Aston Villa finish.

but its utterly relevant.

why do we have a league table ?

I would think every team in the country will use the league table as a barometer of their sides progress or regress.

comparing is a mechanism, that just about every competitive business or organisation will use to evaluate where they are going in terms of performance.

• Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

It is where Villa finishes in relation to the other teams that counts. It is the other teams we are competing with. 

In relation to the other teams as a whole?  Well yes, that's obvious.  There are other teams in the league.

If Brighton came 4th and Brentford 5th with us 6th, it would be a fantastic season for us irrespective of what Brighton and Brentford did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but its utterly relevant.

why do we have a league table ?

I would think every team in the country will use the league table as a barometer of their sides progress or regress.

comparing is a mechanism, that just about every competitive business or organisation will use to evaluate where they are going in terms of performance.

Yes - but they wouldn't be basing their teams relative success against what, say, Aston Villa are doing.  Because that would be pointless.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Fair play to Elmo, that is thoughtful. He must have had a good relationship with Deano

I think if you didn't get on with Deano, something is wrong with you.

We could discuss him all day.....but a nice bloke......HE IS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes - but they wouldn't be basing their teams relative success against what, say, Aston Villa are doing.  Because that would be pointless.

But they would.....do you mean to tell me that Wolves ( as one example alone) were not comparing their fortunes with us.....get out of it.😀

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think if you didn't get on with Deano, something is wrong with you.

We could discuss him all day.....but a nice bloke......HE IS.

Sounds like a certain Manchester United manager..

I think they are very similar managers honestly. 

• Haha 1

changing the subject, somewhat.

I like the response Deano gave when asked by a reporter if he thought the team had let him down.

It was subtle, but had a profound meaning.....he said " They haven't let me down, they have let themselves down"......I just like the subtlety of him being sure of himself.

I thought that showed strong management.

It happened to me once, where I was at a presentation for sales awards, feeling cocky, I said to one of my directors, who was a real tough cookie....."I'll bet you have some headaches in your job"...Just giving small talk and being pleasant....He said " I don''t get headaches, I give them"

Classic.....Dean just reminded me of that, when he retorted after the game.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He hasn't backed Smith up at all there?  It isn't even about the manager.  People just love to twist a narrative :D 

He's saying it was a shit game but there's a silver lining that everyone is fit and things will improve (obviously, the performance was shit).  He then says the next 2 games are massive for us.  Seems.... strangely sensible, for a Villa fan.

He has used a picture of Smith looking worried, or thinking, he then goes on to say "it'll give the manager more options with a different system like the second half"? So he is not talking about the players, he's basically saying don't worry about the manager, he has got more options now. Also, "I'm sure things will get better".

I'm not making no narrative!

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He has used a picture of Smith looking worried, or thinking, he then goes on to say "it'll give the manager more options with a different system like the second half"? So he is not talking about the players, he's basically saying don't worry about the manager, he has got more options now. Also, "I'm sure things will get better".

I'm not making no narrative!

What?  Elmo hasn't used a picture of Smith at all - it's just a tweet :D 

Before debating whether Dean is able to rectify our current problems, I think we need to consider whether DS actually believes that 5-3-2 is a problem, or whether he still believes it's right for us.

After the match he was adamant that it wasn't the system that was wrong it was the players who let him down. I know he was very frustrated and angry after that shocking display, so I don't know whether that was his actual belief or just reactive upset.

In order for Dean to start to put right our current match play woes, he first needs to understand and accept the root causes. This isn't the time for stubbornness, it's the time for doing whatever is necessary to get our best players into a system that suits their combined talents. Next Sunday against West Ham will give us our first look at Smith's thinking on our best way forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What?  Elmo hasn't used a picture of Smith at all - it's just a tweet :D 

I'm not going to psycho analyse it, I read it that he is backing the manager, his mate, sticking up for him so to speak. If you read it another way that's fine. But either way, it's a strange tweet to bother writing

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Before debating whether Dean is able to rectify our current problems, I think we need to consider whether DS actually believes that 5-3-2 is a problem, or whether he still believes it's right for us.

After the match he was adamant that it wasn't the system that was wrong it was the players who let him down. I know he was very frustrated and angry after that shocking display, so I don't know whether that was his actual belief or just reactive upset.

In order for Dean to start to put right our current match play woes, he first needs to understand and accept the root causes. This isn't the time for stubbornness, it's the time for doing whatever is necessary to get our best players into a system that suits their combined talents. Next Sunday against West Ham will give us our first look at Smith's thinking on our best way forward.

We are all taking Smith is doing wrong, but I think people need to worry about his coaches too. Apparently he only oversees the coaching now, Shaky and Dank's coach the players. So this different system I would say is down to them. My guess is a few aren't getting on with the new coaches changing the system since they have come through the door, as it's very difficult to adapt when you have been playing near the same 433 for 3 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If our manager or any manager can't see their own faults then that is a disaster

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are all taking Smith is doing wrong, but I think people need to worry about his coaches too. Apparently he only oversees the coaching now, Shaky and Dank's coach the players. So this different system I would say is down to them. My guess is a few aren't getting on with the new coaches changing the system since they have come through the door, as it's very difficult to adapt when you have been playing near the same 433 for 3 years.

That could be the case but it doesn't shift the responsibility. Dean needs to be able to see what is wrong and tell his assistants that they are wrong when necesssary

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Tuchel was asked a question the weekend and answered, " my job is to find solutions, that is what, I am paid for"......I endorse that, and it doesn't matter, where your team is in the league, and what your dilemma is.......that is the bottom line

In a nutshell! 

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Kinda like Man U aren't we, 1 win saves all. 😂

It's stupid isnt it but that's some fans for you. 

Win two games against Man U and Everton, and everything is glorious but then lose 3 games and the world is ending.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

It's stupid isnt it but that's some fans for you. 

Win two games against Man U and Everton, and everything is glorious but then lose 3 games and the world is ending.

To be fair mate, I'm beginning to think it was nothing special. Looking at the weekends results, they both offered nothing and were shite!!

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 15:29, markavfc40 said:

I think Smith has created a bit of a rod for his own back signing Ings as he now seems scared to drop either him or Watkins. I don't get it though as at the end of the day we only have two senior strikers in the squad as Wesley is out on loan and Davis is never fit. Having either Ings or Watkins on the bench as back up putting pressure on the other to perform should be a great situation to be in but by trying to shoehorn them both into the starting 11 it is now having a detrimental effect.

I have often wondered what Smith would have done if at the start of the season Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Traore had all been fit. I get why with a lack of fit wingers he tinkered and went 5/3/2 come 3/5/2 and in fairness it worked for a while. It was never going to be our best formation though and get the best out of what for me is a very talented squad.

He needs to have the bollocks to drop either Ings or Watkins and go 4/3/3 with Bailey and Buendia given a run as first choice wide forwards with Traore, El Ghazi, Bidace putting pressure on them from the bench or great options to bring on. Then with Watkins or Ings starting the other can put pressure on the other from the bench or again be a great option to bring on.

Smith has done well in helping assemble a really good squad. He now needs to be brave enough to put a couple of noses out of place and pick his best formation - 4/3/3 and put round pegs in round holes. 

I agree

If we was pulling up trees, with performances and Results, it would be easy to justify selection....but its not.

If players are not playing to his instruction or level of performance, they need to come off and everyone needs to see that....He has to make a show of his authority, in a more deliberate manner.

• Like 1

Â