Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree

If we was pulling up trees, with performances and Results, it would be easy to justify selection....but its not.

If players are not playing to his instruction or level of performance, they need to come off and everyone needs to see that....He has to make a show of his authority, in a more deliberate manner.

Just saying this in the Ollie thread. rarely drops his favourites, Ollie, McGinn, Ming's

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Just saying this in the Ollie thread. rarely drops his favourites, Ollie, McGinn, Ming's

If they are so undroppable, due to affecting their confidence......we have the wrong players.

We need players who are dropped, to roll their sleeves up and go " I'll show ya ".....thats character.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Do u think that could be a lack of self confidence. Before Villa, I think his most expensive player during his reign as manager / head coach was about 2.5. There has to be a lot more pressure on him when the players are costing 25m instead

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

If they are so undroppable, due to affecting their confidence......we have the wrong players.

We need players who are dropped, to roll their sleeves up and go " I'll show ya ".....thats character.

I think a lot of that self belief comes from the manager and how he manages each individual and understands their need and aspirations etc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Before debating whether Dean is able to rectify our current problems, I think we need to consider whether DS actually believes that 5-3-2 is a problem, or whether he still believes it's right for us.

After the match he was adamant that it wasn't the system that was wrong it was the players who let him down. I know he was very frustrated and angry after that shocking display, so I don't know whether that was his actual belief or just reactive upset.

In order for Dean to start to put right our current match play woes, he first needs to understand and accept the root causes. This isn't the time for stubbornness, it's the time for doing whatever is necessary to get our best players into a system that suits their combined talents. Next Sunday against West Ham will give us our first look at Smith's thinking on our best way forward.

I too am not convinced about the system and appreciate, I am well in the minority.

I see other things, that concern me more.

However, would i persist with it, no, the groundswell of opinion is firmly in favour of dropping this system and it doesn't mean I am right.....so for him to persist with it, is a big risk.....I don't blame anyone for being stubborn, but they have to ensure, they are right.

I look at the actions of some players, on the ball and off the ball and ask myself is that the system or just them.....some of the things I am concerned about, I see, when we have played alternative systems....I am not convinced, but I think 3-5-2 which has never been used by Villa in the past or rarely has ever been our way....I think he is trying to cover for players, who are simply struggling.

Arsenal simply wanted it more than we did.....and that is a hard thing to instill, but he has to find a way.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think a lot of that self belief comes from the manager and how he manages each individual and understands their need and aspirations etc

well he has said himself " The team mirrors the manager"

Just now, foreveryoung said:

To be fair mate, I'm beginning to think it was nothing special. Looking at the weekends results, they both offered nothing and were shite!!

I'm not disagreeing but reading this thread is just becoming more hysterical.  At the time we believed with Brentford we shouldve beaten them and people werent happy despite our injury problems then but looking back now and how Brentford have been playing and us having to play Young and Chuck in midfield, a draw doesnt look too bad.  Good performance against Chelsea and wins against Man U and Everton (still given our injuries) were really good results.  Yes i know Man U and Everton havent looked great after the weekend results but they are still 7th and 8th, and on 14 points and have quality players.  You can only beat what's in front of you. 

The last three games I fully agree have not been good enough, the full game against Spurs, 10 minutes against Wolves and at least the first half against Arsenal.  It's really bad and we need to stop it but the overreaction on this thread is bonkers...with some regular posters in this thread being imo very disingenuous especially "I dont want him fired but"........over and over again, page after page after page.  I believe in critical analysis but some on here may believe they are doing that but clearly they arent, they give unbalanced arguments, looking to play Dean in bad light in every comment and then say "but I dont want Dean sacked".  If I commented as much as them in this manner and I believed it then I'd be wanting Dean sacked, I'm not sure how you can have the slanted views they have and not want Smith sacked...it's just not believable.  Yes I believe in Smith and I over defend him on here because I just get sick of some of the posts on here.  I did take a bit of advice from someone on this board that the best thing to do is put them as an 'ignored user' so you dont see their posts, so I did that a few days ago.

I enjoy the back and forth you and I have, and even with some others.  Smith needs to fix it, the 352 isnt working now, the performance the last period of games has been unacceptable, we still have a soft underbelly and it's Smith's responsibility to fix it all.  Will it happen overnight, I doubt it.  Will it mean wins in the coming weeks, who knows! I want a performance despite the result, I want to see some positivity, I really do and I understand people's views on that.  What I dont believe is that Smith is at risk job wise anytime in the near future, I believe Smith has does tremendous here and still hasnt hit his ceiling.  He's under massive pressure now without doubt, but not under pressure with his job.  It finally looks like we have a fit squad for the first time, which he hasnt before, to be able to use Bailey, Traore, Sanson, Buendia has finally had a couple of games and we need to get Ollie out of this bad form.  We arent going to solve the hole in DM anytime soon so people need to get over that. 

We are in a bad dip of form and Smith needs to fix but the world seems to be in a worse place than reality on this thread.  There are some really good commentary on this thread but there are the usual 'not fans of Smith' despite their comments they do on here at the moment trying their best to do what they do and put it under the banner that they are being objective when it's just their opinion, making comments like "I dont want Dean sacked but" and try to mix in with the genuine people that have concerns and are commenting.  I will happily converse with anybody on critical analysis and sometimes I over defend Smith, I admit that but being a fan is emotional hobby.

Anyway I've gone off on a tanget.....sorry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess Elmo is thinking Deano is under some extra pressure. 

I did have a thought that, being Egyptian, he might have a relationship with owners or associates? ( Saying next 2 games a massive )

However I also had the thought that, he could simply be talking as a fan and ex player, which is more likely to be honest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Tolerating Grealish's strop at being substituted that one time was very weak from Smith too. 

I actually get more pissed off at Jack for that. 

Dean might have discussed that with him privately, we dont know.

However my point with Jack is, why ain't he throwing those types of strops at City or for England?

Lack of respect for us IMO. Or " bigger than " attitude etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I did have a thought that, being Egyptian, he might have a relationship with owners or associates? ( Saying next 2 games a massive )

However I also had the thought that, he could simply be talking as a fan and ex player, which is more likely to be honest. 

Yeah, I think some are going to deep with it. 

He's on twitter, so he's seeing the extreme reactions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I too am not convinced about the system and appreciate, I am well in the minority.

I see other things, that concern me more.

However, would i persist with it, no the groundswell of opinion is firmly in favour of dropping this system and it doesn't mean I am right.....so for him to persist with it is a big risk.....I don't blame anyone for being stubborn, but they have ensure, they are right.

I look at the actions of some players, on the ball and off the ball and ask myself is that the system or just them.....some of the things I am concerned about, I see, when we have played alternative systems....I am not convinced, but I think 3-5-2 which has never been used by Villa in the past or rarely has ever been our way....I think he is trying to cover for players, who are simply struggling.

Arsenal simply wanted it more than we did.....and that is a hard thing to instill, but he has to find a way.

I'm not convinced it is totally the system either, I think it is being blamed more than it should be and covering other issues.  I do still think it is a big problem though and should be dumped in favour of 433.  It feels like chinese paper cuts at the moment that are causing the bigger issue.  I think some of our players are out of form like Ollie, yes some people are blaming the partnership with Ings but I just think he's bang out of form.  Targett and Cash though are suffering by playing a position they cant do in wings backs, they are full backs. The central defenders are a mixed bag, they cant play together as a three they dont feel comfortable in it.  At the same time I think Mings is slightly out of form but not massively but I dont know whether that is the formation or just form but he'll be ok.  I do think Martinez (and this will be controversial) hasnt been as dominant in open play and I see that more post internationals but he's fine otherwise and will be.  Buendia looks off at the moment, again not sure if that is formation or just trying to find his place in the PL or just getting match fit after injury.  I think Bailey will make a huge difference because can look a more balanced team and additionally his talent will help.  Traore will be able to give us great options and for me Sanson will be (in theory based on his history of how he plays) that extra quality in midfield with SJM and Luiz.

So I agree with you that it's not totally 352 but 352 is the main issue but we have other issues to get over....hopefully we have the opportunity now with a fit squad.  Guess we'll see.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

At the time we believed with Brentford we shouldve beaten them and people werent happy despite our injury problems then but looking back now and how Brentford have been playing and us having to play Young and Chuck in midfield, a draw doesnt look too bad

So now we are allowed to compare Villa to Brentford. Brilliant consistency. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At the moment there’s a lot of questioning of his tactics, man management, interviews, etc 

If there are 2 more defeats the personal insults along with the ‘get out my club’ will start.

Unfortunately I think u are right

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm not convinced it is totally the system either, I think it is being blamed more than it should be and covering other issues.  I do still think it is a big problem though and should be dumped in favour of 433.  It feels like chinese paper cuts at the moment that are causing the bigger issue.  I think some of our players are out of form like Ollie, yes some people are blaming the partnership with Ings but I just think he's bang out of form.  Targett and Cash though are suffering by playing a position they cant do in wings backs, they are full backs. The central defenders are a mixed bag, they cant play together as a three they dont feel comfortable in it.  At the same time I think Mings is slightly out of form but not massively but I dont know whether that is the formation or just form but he'll be ok.  I do think Martinez (and this will be controversial) hasnt been as dominant in open play and I see that more post internationals but he's fine otherwise and will be.  Buendia looks off at the moment, again not sure if that is formation or just trying to find his place in the PL or just getting match fit after injury.  I think Bailey will make a huge difference because can look a more balanced team and additionally his talent will help.  Traore will be able to give us great options and for me Sanson will be (in theory based on his history of how he plays) that extra quality in midfield with SJM and Luiz.

So I agree with you that it's not totally 352 but 352 is the main issue but we have other issues to get over....hopefully we have the opportunity now with a fit squad.  Guess we'll see.

Nick, You've started by saying your not convinced it's the system and then broke down the reasons why it is the system. 

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It may only be a subtle difference but it is Purslow that Smith reports into and it is Purslow that will sack Smith. The ruthless streak will need to come from him. As CEO he reports into the owners and he is tasked to deliver what their objectives are. It would not be a good for Purslow if NSWE were to tell him to sack Smith. It would mean, as far as NSWE are concerned that Purslow screwed up a bit in not deciding it was time Smith left. Purslow should be the one going to NSWE and advising them that Smith's time is up (whenever that time comes).

As regards having a ruthless streak Purslow sacked Rafa when he was at Liverpool

Exactly, but obviously Purslow cannot sack Smith without the owners being agreed on it. There has to be some ruthlessness on both sides, but ultimately it will come down to whether they think Smith is doing the job they have asked him to do. 

52 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Nick, You've started by saying your not convinced it's the system and then broke down the reasons why it is the system. 

I know, I laughed after I posted.  I was trying to explain I think it’s a lot the system but also form and injuries to various players.  The part that confused even myself in my head is some of the form…is that then down to the system or just poor form…

Been a long day, sorry!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I would be interested to know why you think he should go?....do you just dislike him?, don't believe in him? or is it driven by results?

Personally, I like the guy, but I do have reservations about certain aspects of his persona.....equally, though, I do not see a ready made solution out there, "oven ready" to take over.

I am in favour of him addressing the issues and fighting through it.....if that's possible.

It's not really one thing, of course I think he's not getting the most from this squad and many players are underperforming and I don't think he's using the right formation to get his best players on the pitch. 

People talk of what he has done for the club which is fine, but Ranieri performed a miracle with Leicester and still lost his job when they were 14th/15th in the league. They also did the same with Puel. Didn't harm them in either scenario. 

You don't seem convinced by him but also think he should be given time to turn it around - how long would you give him out of interest if this poor form continues and he doesn't turn it around?

Â