Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Exactly, but obviously Purslow cannot sack Smith without the owners being agreed on it. There has to be some ruthlessness on both sides, but ultimately it will come down to whether they think Smith is doing the job they have asked him to do. 

From comments before they say they speak to each other (NSWE and Purslow) all the time so they’ll be on the same page anyway.  They won’t be thinking of these things in isolation of each other.  If they were talking along those lines, which I doubt they are, it would be discussed over a period and they’d already know what each is thinking on the subject.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Exactly, but obviously Purslow cannot sack Smith without the owners being agreed on it. There has to be some ruthlessness on both sides, but ultimately it will come down to whether they think Smith is doing the job they have asked him to do. 

Agreed, but if Purslow says to NSWE that Smith should be sacked and they disagree then Purslow's position is untenable. If the owners go against such a significant decision by the CEO then Purslow would have to walk. It is a very sensitive situation as Purslow needs to get the timing absolutely spot on. He pulls the plug too early and he has to walk, he leaves it too late and he is not doing his job as per NSWE's requirements and he should walk. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It really is as simple as that, Paul

I have no idea who, or interest in seeking out another manager, I want our current manager, to step up to the plate and demand, yes demand, better from this 11 he chooses.

There is no guarantee any other manager can do better.

And therin lies part of the problem, TRO. He will stick with his favourites, even though they are out of form, and it's this loyalty that will ultimately, in all probability cost him his job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_jW said:

And therin lies part of the problem, TRO. He will stick with his favourites, even though they are out of form, and it's this loyalty that will ultimately, in all probability cost him his job.

I think most managers stick to their favourites so I don’t think he’s unique in that but you’re right that is a key component of whether he succeeds or fails.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

At the moment there’s a lot of questioning of his tactics, man management, interviews, etc 

If there are 2 more defeats the personal insults along with the ‘get out my club’ will start.

No More cabbages.....That was a dark day, for our dignity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think most managers stick to their favourites so I don’t think he’s unique in that but you’re right that is a key component of whether he succeeds or fails.

Correct. I don't get why people try to make out that standard things in football are unique to Dean Smith not being good enough 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I know, I laughed after I posted.  I was trying to explain I think it’s a lot the system but also form and injuries to various players.  The part that confused even myself in my head is some of the form…is that then down to the system or just poor form…

Been a long day, sorry!

I knew what you meant.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The best managers don't. They play who is performing best. Pep, Tucal. Klopp dropped Mane remember and Henderson the fans favourite.

An before people say they can afford to, maybe they can, but they also have much higher expectations than us.

Surprising how the odd few managers with the best squads, can afford to rotate players more. 

How often does it happen with every other club?

• Like 2

I am not in favour of replacing Dean as yet.....but if I was, it would be win ratios, against  games played...and what clubs they have worked at ( what standard of football)

Then an indepth interview, relating to all the relevant Key elements.

being able to win games consistently covers a multitude of disciplines and requires a broad skill set to do so....so for me, has to feature prominently.

These guys who know how to win.....know how to manage....and gets straight to the nitty gritty of the job.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surprising how the odd few managers with the best squads, can afford to rotate players more. 

We have enough strength if we need to. Not starting a few of the undroppables would be best, then we could bring them on if it wasn't working.

13 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not for me. I think he would be overwhelmed by the expectation. 

I can safely assure you sheepy 7  wins in the last 20 games, is not high expectation.....that is for the birds.

extrapolated out is 13 wins in a season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surprised you think we don't have the squad to rotate. It is impossible to fit all of our attacking player into the same team, to be that suggests we can rotate. Rotate Ollie and Ings, but oh no, we need to play both at the same time. AEG, Bailey, Traore, Buendia all played their football out wide. So do we play 4 wide players in the same game or do we have an option to rotate? We have 4 CBs and we are playing 3 of them as starters. Just thinking outside the box, if we played 4 at the back instead of 5 maybe we could rotate our CBs.Midfield more difficult for Dean to rotate but I am fairly confident there are enough players there if we wanted to. 

As often happens, the discussion is changing. The original point was that Dean plays his favourites. My point was that nearly everyone outside of the top 2 or 3 squads do the same. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

As often happens, the discussion is changing. The original point was that Dean plays his favourites. My point was that nearly everyone outside of the top 2 or 3 squads do the same. 

I can only respond to what you actually post and not what you claim at a later stage is what you posted. The entire comment I replied to is...

That is about rotation and that is what I replied to

Â