Dean Smith

Demitri_C

People have questioned the consistency this season and undoubtedly the performances, results and table position back that up. However it must be said that in mitigation for various reasons, injuries, internationals etc we have had a pretty inconsistent group of players available. There has been a lot of disruption to our season, especially as it’s still early in the season. I think other clubs have suffered too, I can only put it down to the disruptive and short closed season. I don’t think it helps having international breaks every five minutes either. 

17 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think he will get fired if we finish twelfth and probably, in my view, he would deserve to. I don’t think we will finish that low though. We will be top 10 and he will be fine.

From there he needs to work on consistency of performance. We are up and down like a roller coaster at the moment. Results are always going to be a bit patchy at our level but we must arrest the performance issues. I genuinely think we have only played well twice this season so far. I also think we have only played badly twice. The rest has been a bit below average. Lots to ponder for Dean.Our overall record in 2021 is not great so we really need a strong end to the year.

As I have said I dont think any chance he'll get fired if we are 12th.  Also didnt most on here think we'd finish around midtable anyway, I suppose it will depend on points really as the points we got last season generally wouldve got you a top ten finish.  I think if he's in the 50's points wise he'll be in no danger at all.

I agree about consistency generally, I still take into consideration injuries and travel.  I havent used it as an argument today and I'm not trying to use it now but I genuinely feel if Luiz hadnt had to go off because I assume exhaustion because of international duty...if Luiz had been fully fit and played the full 90 minutes we would've won that game today.  I think he's the better player than our subs plus we wouldnt have been pushed off our rhythm by substitution but again I'm not using that as an excuse, I just feel it wouldve been a different story.  Today was an implosion and completely heartbroken me, I do feel turn arounds happen.  I was more disappointed from a pure football point of view of the Spurs game because we were poor throughout the game, for me this game today was more a 10 freak minute madness. 

I do think injuries and intl duty have hit us hard and I know it's impacted other teams but I feel because of our squad it impacts us more than it would Liverpool and Man Utd for example.  No way Martinez and Luiz were 100% today and Buendia has only just come to the club, had injury and i know he missed the last intl but he was away before.  Not having Bailey as well who in some ways is Grealish replacement.  Even Watkins seems a bit off. 

We need to get it right I give that to you but it would be nice to have a fit team to put out and see what they can do with Buendia and Bailey.  martinez and Luiz not jet lagged.  It would be nice to see Sanson.  Smith has to get it right otherwise he would be sacked but I dont think that is in the equation yet or even this season.  I think we are a midtable squad, I said it at the beginning of the season and think 8-12th is our range, I dont think that will get Smith sacked or close to it.  We need to improve though or get more consistency.  I still think Smith is the right man for us.

10 minutes ago, andym said:

Needs to stop the obsession with shoe horning players in everygame, and i dont mean the 2 up top.

For me, the issue is forcing the extra centre back in and then trying to rely on targett and cash getting forward as the creative outlets. They are simply not good enough at this. We need our actual talented attackers to be doing that.

We just end up with 5 defenders sitting deep, midfielders not too much further infront, then the forwards just getting outnumbered.

We had a good result at Man U admittedly, but the Everton game was as much as the impact of Bailey as formation. However we've shipped 3 against Chelsea and Wolves, and 2 at an out of form Spurs, resulting in 0 points from those 3 games, so we havent exactly been defensively sound with that formation.

There's still ways to get Ings and Watkins in, while playing 4 at the back. Maybe actually supporting them properly would turn their partnership around.

well said.

15 minutes ago, kevpants said:

I’m trying not to over react to that. But for the first time in the 3 years this doesn’t feel like progress. He may turn it around but make no mistake, a turnaround is needed. 

When we're talking about progress, surely this reaction should only arise after a succession of results and not just one right? Not having a go at you specifically mate, it seems to be the theme on this thread, but I just don't see how a stoppage time derby loss in particular is any sort of turning point.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kevpants said:

I’m trying not to over react to that. But for the first time in the 3 years this doesn’t feel like progress. He may turn it around but make no mistake, a turnaround is needed. 

Surely you didn’t think we were making progress during that awful run culminating in the Leicester defeat before the first lockdown, or to be fair in the Championship before our ten game winning run?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree about this season but I think he will need to deliver next season to keep his job

depends what deliver means, depends what happens with the squad.  As fans we all have different expectations of what that is as is shown tonight by people's reactions but if he gets midtable this season, has he delivered this season? some think yes, some think no...really depends what the owners think.  As for next season that will depend on the squad purchases and sales.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

depends what deliver means, depends what happens with the squad.  As fans we all have different expectations of what that is as is shown tonight by people's reactions but if he gets midtable this season, has he delivered this season? some think yes, some think no...really depends what the owners think.  As for next season that will depend on the squad purchases and sales.

It does....They have hard cash, invested in us.....we have emotion.

I will trust their judgment.

• Like 1

I think people are right we are where we should be 12th. But if you look at the teams below us, it's all the shit. We are not competing with any of the big boys, the likes of Wolves, the Brentford's the Brighton's. Yes we are doing so well 8 games in. I don't expect any better than last season looking at the table. 

I know it's early, but we need to turn this around and start winning a few.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think people are right we are where we should be 12th. But if you look at the teams below us, it's all the shit. We are not competing with any of the big boys, the likes of Wolves, the Brentford's the Brighton's. Yes we are doing so well 8 games in. I don't expect any better than last season looking at the table. 

I know it's early, but we need to turn this around and start winning a few.

I know its first season syndrome, but I look at Brentford and I am quietly impressed at the job Thomas Frank is doing.

They have so many good things going on in their team, its hard not to be impressed....all their new signing look like sound purchases and it creates a good balance.

When you think of the money they have spent and they are mixing it with top teams.....makes our 1-1 draw look like a result now.

Bravo to them.

I don't think the Ings signing was well thought out. 

Watkins don't seem to be enjoying this system at all. He looks a different player and they have absolutely zero chemistry. 

Tuanzebe I think looks like a backup defender at best. 

Konsa and Mings have a good partnership built up over the years. Not sure why you would bring a 3rd party into something that ain't broke. 

Smith is looking like he is trying to adapt to his players when it's the players who should adapt to him. 

Do what you know Dean. 4-3-3. 

Edited by villalad21

If we had seen it out at 2-0, we'd have been looking pretty good in the table. That's the massive frustration. Seems we've gone from looking like a solid, progressing team, to one that is struggling in the blink of a 15min shitshow eye.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don't think it matters what happens with the squad. We are no doubt going to get some new players between now and next season and regardless of expectations of fans I believe NSWE will want results. And by results, I mean a very concerted effort to get into Europa. To me that mean being in with a shout of qualification with 2 to 3 games left in the season. If we don't have that next season then Smith will need to go

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know its first season syndrome, but I look at Brentford and I am quietly impressed at the job Thomas Frank is doing.

They have so many good things going on in their team, its hard not to be impressed....all their new signing look like sound purchases and it creates a good balance.

When you think of the money they have spent and they are mixing it with top teams.....makes our 1-1 draw look like a result now.

Bravo to them.

Just like Sheff Utd, then Leeds last season, now Brentford!  They are doing well but until I see the second season I’m putting them in that bucket whether they finish 6th or 14th.  Great to watch though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think it matters what happens with the squad. We are no doubt going to get some new players between now and next season and regardless of expectations of fans I believe NSWE will want results. And by results, I mean a very concerted effort to get into Europa. To me that mean being in with a shout of qualification with 2 to 3 games left in the season. If we don't have that next season then Smith will need to go

You're worrying about something 12 months away. 

It's been the same throughout, doomsday prediction for the future to justify a moan right now. 

It doesn't matter about next season. He's not under pressure right now. He's not getting sacked unless this season turns unto a shit show. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just like Sheff Utd, then Leeds last season, now Brentford!  They are doing well but until I see the second season I’m putting them in that bucket whether they finish 6th or 14th.  Great to watch though!

yeah, you could be right....but I just comment on what I see.....not premonitions.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think it matters what happens with the squad. We are no doubt going to get some new players between now and next season and regardless of expectations of fans I believe NSWE win want results. And by results, I mean a very concerted effort to get into Europa. To me that mean being in with a shout of qualification with 2 to 3 games left in the season. If we don't have that next season then Smith will need to go

I think next season is too far off, we could lose more players and struggle to get in players or we could be fearful of what Newcastle are going to do and the owners push the boat out further and we get some real quality in.  That’s my point on it depends on what is expected delivery wise and you can only assess that at the beginning of next season because our squad could be worse off or better off.

I think let’s focus on this season.  I honestly don’t think Smith is going anywhere and while our aim is Europe, we are a midtable team so are likely to end there imo.  I agree NSWE want results but I also think they understand football and know our level at the moment and what we need to do as a group to get to the next level and I believe that includes Smith.

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I could actually see him appointed England manager this time next year.

Either that, or take Pep's place at Man City to be back with Grealish.😂

Always pretty quiet on the media front with Smith, since he is thought of as this great coach. Potter gets more praise, maybe because we are doing exactly as expected with the money we have spent,  no better.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You're worrying about something 12 months away. 

It's been the same throughout, doomsday prediction for the future to justify a moan right now. 

It doesn't matter about next season. He's not under pressure right now. He's not getting sacked unless this season turns unto a shit show. 

I am not worrying about things 12 months away. The discussion was about Smith's security as Head Coach. I stated that I agreed that this season he was safe but if we were lower than 12th that next season he would be under greater pressure and I said he would be on thin ice. I then explained what I thought the expectation would be for next season. Please read the thread properly and stop trying to twist thing to suggest that everyone is anti Smith. That is just not the case. It is a football forum, the thread is Dean Smith and it is just a discussion. There is no worrying about next season and there is no doomsday predictions. It is normal football discussion without the need for a bias

• Like 1

Â