Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Yesterday when we scored he went mental with Nanny. He never goes mental. He went mental because he has felt the pain of Manure being our bogey team not just whilst coaching us but being a fan as well. That outpouring of emotion is exactly what we felt/ feel. 

The one of our own thingymygiggy sometimes grates for me as he is a coach first not a fan , but yesterday we saw it in full effect and it felt good. 

I also love how underated he is by other fans. They see him as a brummy Dyche . And nothing could be further from the truth

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, tinker said:

Dean learns season on season. The set piece coach coming in is a superb example of this mindset. Changing his coaching team, ruthless, it seems to be making a difference. 

He's also flying under the radar, he's everything Ole Gunnar needs to be and isn't.

Hes going to be a Villa Legend. 

I'm not having a go at you but I think this view is a bit patronising. 

Is he learning lessons, or is it just a realistic fact that it takes time to build these things? 

People act like he didn't know things and now does, when in reality I think it's just a case that we've been back in this league for 2 full seasons. We've had to build.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Is he learning lessons, or is it just a realistic fact that it takes time to build these things? 

People act like he didn't know things and now does, when in reality I think it's just a case that we've been back in this league for 2 full seasons. We've had to build.

Maybe it is time he needed but it would be easy to stick with the status quo and keep his back room staff intact,  he changed them. If I'm honest I know Smith prides himself on continuous improvement,  watch his lecture to BCU students on YouTube,  its quite enlightening 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's a bit more complex than that, and a combo of both.

Check some of Deanos interviews, and even he has admitted that he's always learning and trying to improve, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

This has been more about who has the patience to take the journey along with.

Similarly to signing a player with attributes and potential to be great, and coaching/improving them over time, then seeing those results.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, tinker said:

Dean learns season on season. The set piece coach coming in is a superb example of this mindset. Changing his coaching team, ruthless, it seems to be making a difference. 

I am not sure it can be described as ruthless when people resign their position at the club. If Dean had of sacked him them it would have been ruthless

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tinker said:

Maybe it is time he needed but it would be easy to stick with the status quo and keep his back room staff intact,  he changed them. If I'm honest I know Smith prides himself on continuous improvement,  watch his lecture to BCU students on YouTube,  its quite enlightening 

Oh yeah, absolutely. I know Dean Smith is like that and I'm not saying he knows everything. I just think some (not you by the way) are a bit quick to claim Dean's learnt something, rather than acknowledging that we're building something. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure it can be described as ruthless when people resign their position at the club. If Dean had of sacked him them it would have been ruthless

ROK left because he was being demoted due to new coaches coming in. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Each season is a new challenge, when the opposition updates there systems and tactics it's like a new wave of students coming to university each year and you don't know there faces. It all takes time to remember and learn what everyone does and is capable of. Your never going to get everything perfect but Smith does learn over time he has proved that time and time again. He's adapted so many crap game plans from kick off and pulled wins out of nothing and he's also lost vital ones that looked easy for us to pick up points from. It's those losses that he will get the most experience from and understand how to stop it, he will tinker his systems.

Very good manager capable of taking us much further when your beating top teams each season. We just have to not drop the ball against the teams at the bottom.

I struggle to see how anyone could have any problem with Dean, he's been our best manager ever I think. Yes i know he's not won the league or trophies yet but he will if were patient with him.

I still say hes our version of fergie minute the boot throwing. Smith could be big, he could be the man England call on down the line but I honestly think he will be at Villa for some time yet and his progress levels each season and achievements in records broke are kind of insane.

• Like 1

It’s mad that in any other industry or walk of life, Dean would’ve been headhunted by the very top by know. Yet in football the likes of Frank Lampard and Ole Solksjaer are considered good enough for the biggest jobs in football because they ‘just know how their clubs work’ which is just utter nonsense. (See AC Milan’s list of managerial failures over the last 10 years also).

Dean is ten times the manager that solksjaer is - it’s great that United are so deluded and lost in their own sense of entitlement that they can’t or won’t see it.

• Like 2

Â